The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Truckers on 10 meters, 28.085MHz, time for a RTTY contest on that freq?  (Read 17807 times)
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 12:06:44 AM »

Give the bootleggers an inch, and before you know it it'll be much worse.

That is comical. You couldn't advertise and get enough people interested in radio to cause a problem on 10 meters anywhere other than in your head.

When this current generation of 60 plus year old hams go that will be the end of it.
At no loss to the hobby.

They also probably hide out on six, muttering "its all mine to keep dead and quiet."

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 07:55:14 AM »

There is tremendous value in protecting the spectrum allocated to the amateur service despite the ignorant statement about how much spectrum is not used or inactive due to the propagation so it's OK.  Illegal activities both domestically and internationally are like an encroachment of locusts.  You really can't stop it but you can try.  Yes call CQ and have QSOs right on top of the interlopers.  Punch up the amps and chase them off.  The FCC really can't do anything and they won't lift a finger anyway so the only protectors are us.  Not taking any action just encouranges these lawless cretins to overshadow our privledges. Don't take it lightly.  Turn your beams towards Olga and call CQ.
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 10:21:44 AM »

Yeah, that is what you really need to do. Get something started with some CB'ers. It is not unlikely that you would end up with a 3CX10,000 coming back at you.

And, I did not say it was OK. Just that it is not a big deal and never has been. Never will be.

And, there are plenty of CB'ers around that use the amps we run for drivers.

Start your war.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 05:19:40 PM »

Yeah, that is what you really need to do. Get something started with some CB'ers. It is not unlikely that you would end up with a 3CX10,000 coming back at you.

And, I did not say it was OK. Just that it is not a big deal and never has been. Never will be.

Start your war.
  I suspect you can from CB and ought to go back and enjoy it.  Why be part of ham radio when all you can do is bash it?  A 3 by 10, don't make me laugh.
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »

Start your war.
 I suspect you can from CB and ought to go back and enjoy it.  Why be part of ham radio when all you can do is bash it?  A 3 by 10, don't make me laugh.

I have been a ham for 30 years. At least you are not a no coder with a dead call being all indignant which really is funny with all that is involved in getting a license these days. Roll Eyes

If some truckers on 10 meters really gets to you maybe you could try pulling out your hair.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 05:52:25 PM by KM4AH » Logged
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 09:03:56 AM »

I wonder how well the truckers and the Ivans and the rest get on when the CQ WW, WPX and ARRL DX contests are on......I suspect not very well!
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 03:45:14 PM »

I wonder how well the truckers and the Ivans and the rest get on when the CQ WW, WPX and ARRL DX contests are on......I suspect not very well!

They just slide below the 10M band. but still above the CB band.

73, Stan
Walk a mile in my shoes BEFORE you tell me how bad they are.
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 05:45:07 PM »

A 3 by 10, don't make me laugh.

BTW, I didn't just pull that out of a hat. I might have thought the same thing until I went to look at a Henry advertised and he had a  3CX5000 in a very well built amplifier as tall as my head. He also had a home made 11 element beam at 170 feet fed with hardline. The funny thing is that he said that it was nothing compared to some who had to have a separate electrical service to run their station.
Of course that has nothing to do with 10 meters. It is big signal contests , grudges, bragging rights, etc. on 11 meter AM as near as I can tell.

KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 08:01:15 AM »

There is a thing in CB called a "Shootout", which has no limit on power out, the only rule is that the power source and all equipment must be fully contained inside the vehicle used in the competition. A few judges park at a distance of 20 or more miles from the transmitting group and measure signal strengths.
It is usual to see solid state amps that put out in excess of 5kw, and tube type amps doing 20kw.
Special alternators are mounted in the vehicles to run these amps. 500-1000 amp 12v alternators with banks of batteries feeding 24 and 36 device SS amps. For the tube type amps they run 480v 3 phase alternators feeding 3 phase transformers which power the 3CX3000, 5000, 10000, and 20000 tubes.
Antennas are made of 1 inch dia solid aluminum rod twisted into loading coils for the 1/8 wave whips made of the heaviest rod that can be supported.
It is routine to hear guys talking on "legal limit" ham amps, high end ham transcievers and large beam arrays on CB.
To think that they will strictly stay in the 11 meter band is unrealistic. 
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2015, 09:35:15 AM »

Yep. And you can Google CB Super Bowl and look at the Hall of Fame. I am told 40,000 watts or more is involved.

I am not condoning or admiring or whatever, just stating what is in response to some comments about how a DX contest or RTTY is going to be a big deal if some of them decide they don't want it to be. Leave sleeping dogs asleep.
N4EF

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2015, 01:52:05 PM »

I fired up 75 baud RTTY on some CBers I heard on 28.030 mHz a few years ago: they remarked about the unusual and "never heard" sort of signal all of the sudden. They left. Mission accomplished.   

They do not have the privilege to operate in the amateur radio bands.  I use 28.030 mHz for CW often, so they needed to be taught with clarity that they are intruding.  I taught them. They are now wiser and I forgive them for their ignorance.

Dave
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: