The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW etiquette for interrupting???  (Read 7713 times)
KW4AD

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2015, 05:59:22 AM »

Hi All ... new to eHAM and CW both!

I have gotten to where I can copy at about 10WPM and so I have ventured out and made a few QSO's ... it's getting easier, but boy is it stressful at this point Smiley

I've found myself wondering if there is an established way to interrupt someone if you need to take a minute to handle an emergent issue. I was also wondering if there was a polite way to save people the hassle of keying of a repeat (especially a long QTH) if you got it solidly the first time. I have read about break-in capability on all the rigs I've evaluated, but have never read anything about the use of said capability and that is what has me wondering.

Thanks,

Bill KW4AD
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 07:03:39 AM »

Not always possible even not with QSK, cuz standard parts of QSO's may be under the keyer memory knob.

However, try R, when other party hesitates, he noticed that, repeat R=GA, and listen to the remaining part of his transmission.
Probably this takes more time than just sitting it out and copying Eisenhuettenstadt agn.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 07:06:56 AM by PA0WV » Logged

KW4AD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 07:13:18 AM »

Thanks ... Being the user of a J-38 from the 40's, it never even occurred to me that phrases might be pre-programmed Grin Too funny!

Would it be safe to extrapolate (it so rarely is!) that if I need a quick break, I might just send the prosign AS a couple of times? At 35WPM, I can see that you can just wait until a natural break in the banter, but at 10WPM, it just seems like natural pauses can take a LONG time to arrive if someone/something local is demanding immediate attention ...

Thanks!
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 08:20:44 AM »

Very welcome as CW freshman in the community. CW is an extraordinary mode, because by using it the way you do, you conserve a piece of communication and radio history.

The J-38 is a nice key, I have a Chinese replica  it was sold as speed key in this country. But I can't definitely use it at 35wpm.

I think, but it is my opinion, that in case you have some emergency (xyl calling fr dinner) and the QSO partner has no QSK, just quit. Happens also in case of heavy QSB or when the neighbor starts electric welding.

When there IS QSK, a long mark will stop him or her, and you sent sri vy sri xyl clg hi qrt 73 cul sk cl

Wim PA0WV

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 08:24:43 AM »

Well, the best thing is if none of us ramble on for longer than a minute or two before turning it over. This lets it be like a conversation!

Just like on phone, some folks on CW really like to talk. They will go on and on for 215 minutes or more before turning it over. In person, we can always "feign death" or something to get out of these awkward situations. But harder on the radio.

If the guy has QSK, laying down on the dit or dahs for a little bit is an OK way to interrupt. The blow-hards do not have QSK of course :-)

Tim.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 10:21:26 AM »

How about a simple BK or if you're really in an emergent situation (like ya gotta go to the bathroom....or if you already did while waiting for him to sign) BK BK BK.
KW4AD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 12:28:44 PM »

Very welcome as CW freshman in the community. CW is an extraordinary mode, because by using it the way you do, you conserve a piece of communication and radio history.

The J-38 is a nice key, I have a Chinese replica  it was sold as speed key in this country. But I can't definitely use it at 35wpm.

I think, but it is my opinion, that in case you have some emergency (xyl calling fr dinner) and the QSO partner has no QSK, just quit. Happens also in case of heavy QSB or when the neighbor starts electric welding.

When there IS QSK, a long mark will stop him or her, and you sent sri vy sri xyl clg hi qrt 73 cul sk cl

Wim PA0WV

I was thrilled to find a pair of pristine J-38's on E-bay and won them for $80 total which I felt was a steal given their condition. I gave one to a brother that is also learning. I love to be able to rescue old tools and put them back to work and I hope to use this one for quite some time.

I like the brief and blunt aploogy ... even I can rattle that off in a hurry Smiley

Thanks for all the input!

Bill KW4AD
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 09:45:11 AM »

It's more difficult to do this as a newbie because often your QSO partner doesn't understand what you're trying to do.  One big step is to get comfortable with QSK, instantaneous break-in.  I used to QSO with a friend and we had a mutual understanding.  I could stop him (or him, me) from sending by simply dropping a couple of dits between a word and he would pause and I could comment on something he said.  Sure made the conversation flow much more naturally.  Neither one of use was into "old buzzard" monologues.  The other problem is finding someone using QSK.  Often people are distracted by the band noise between letters and words, so they tend to avoid using it.  If your radio is capable of doing this, you're missing a big advantage by not exploiting the feature.  Once you get used to it, it's addicting.  It gives you great situational awareness.  Rather than locking your transmitter "on" during a transmission, you can hear everything that's going on while you are sending.  IMO, this feature is mandatory for DXing, especially split frequency pileups.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:47:46 AM by K0RS » Logged
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 12:34:29 PM »

Bill this is an excellent question. CW is not all about speed. It's also about how you actually use it. That's why I have to absolutely agree with K0RS, full break-in opens up a whole better way of doing this. I've had a number of times over the years where my QSO partner sent AS in the middle of my transmission so he could answer a phone (or an XYL). Make the entire process more conversational. So I'd try the AS first, see if he's running QSK. If not you can always reply with "sri missed your last". Or go read a book... Grin

Enjoy the J-38s. I still have the one I started with as a novice back in '71. It was old then!

Doc WB0FDJ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 01:37:26 PM »

Unless your contact is using QSK (full break-in), it's highly unlikely you can interrupt him in the middle of a transmission and even less likely in the middle of a word.

I do use QSK, and when I find the other station is also, I can "interrupt" him by sending two dits (like the letter "I") right in the middle of him sending a word.  Assuming he has fast enough AGC to actually hear that, he'll stop and I can interrupt.  I reciprocate by stopping if I hear someone do that while I'm transmitting.

"BK" is way too long to send for QSK.

But if an emergency arises and you have to leave your station while someone else is sending to you, just do that.  No law says you have to complete any QSO. Wink
GW3OQK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 02:24:43 AM »

You asked about 2 things.

As WIK says, send a couple of dits until they pause. If he/she doesnt pause and you have to go then just go! AS QWC is sometimes necessary during a long ragchew.

It is most annoying to have someone repeat and repeat at slow speed when you are both 599. Some even insist on sending 599 5NN. Sending name  & qth once only without errors is quite adequate. If you need a repeat ask for it. e.g. QTH? K     

I always use QSK and rarely repeat anything. I love it if someone interrupts me to keep the conversation active with quick questions.
73, Andrew
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 05:20:19 AM »

[...] we can always "feign death" or something [...]

Reminded me of an actual occurrence a few years back when I was trying out PSK mode.  I was in a QSO with someone in New England.  He was sending his "brag file" and something came up where I just had to leave.  A couple of hours later the county sheriff and EMT folks show up at my door and ask if I am a ham radio operator and if I was OK.  I assured them on both counts.  Apparently, the OM imagined I had expired at the keyboard, found my address, and dispatched the local authorities!  Unfortunately, I did not log the call sign or I would have given him a personal assurance....  Moral: stay with CW and do not explore those new-fangled modes like voice and Instant Messenger (PSK).

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN N4OI  Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: