Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-450 and PK-232  (Read 862 times)
KL7YK

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2009, 08:51:30 AM »

I am still not able to hear any of the RMS stations.  So have to think I have something still not right in my setup.  Will have to scan around for any PACTOR traffic and see if I can decode it.

I think I am transmitting fine just the hearing is off.  I listen to the outbound signal on a second radio and it is obvious I am phasing but never connecting.

When I bring up another program like PKWare etc...I see the TNC configures ok and the lights do what they are supposed to do. But the waterfall remains blank.  RTTY, PSK all of it remains blank in the waterfall.

Connection to the FT-450 is via the accy data port and according to the wire diagrams everything is right.  But I do not have audio plugged into those jacks on the TNC, audio is via the primary cable between the radio and TNC.  If I plug in the sound out from the radio to the TNC I lose the ability to easily use the 450 for voice.  I can live with that if I must but if radio audio is getting to the TNC on that primary cable I shouldn’t need to add a audio cable.

Anyone who has gotten an FT-450 and a PK-232 to play nice, talk to me.  What am I missing here?

Oh and the TNC is firmware 7.2, I need to get Airmail up and running and only need the 232 to do Pactor.  I have sound card based digital for about everything else.  Even bought the newest version of PKWare it too appears to setup everything up correctly.

Would be nice to be able to work MARS and the Ham Bands for HF Mail.

Ron, KL7YK
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 06:04:15 AM »

This is fairly simple to fix. If you are not running a Winlink client software (Airmail or Paclink) you won't connect to an RMS...
KL7AIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 05:31:33 PM »

I failed to say I AM using Airmail and have tried Paclink as well.  Neither will hear any Pactor.

So my original question remains how do I get the PK-232 to hear the Pactor signal.  Using the correct cable that passes send and receive from the radio and the TNC.

I do see a difference when the audio (headphone jack) is connected to the audio connector on the TNC.  But still no Pactor heard Ham or MARS.

Also on that same line of thought can't see anything in the water fall on RTTY and such either.  So I have to suspect a bad setup somewhere.

Ron, KL7YK
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 07:40:32 PM »

Some of the Pactor MBO's are Pactor 2 and 3, The PK-232 only supports Pactor 1.

For the waterfall in DD, you need to have the soundcard interface in the PK-232 and be in a soundcard mode.  Since the PK-232 moves the soundcard connection between the soundcard and inside the TNC, that's why you dont see a waterfall on Pactor. Give me a call or an email and Ill help ya set that up.

Most of the time, Pactor is on LSB (on the ham bands), but only the MBO's use Pactor for the most part now.  Very little keyboard to keyboard Pactor going on.

Rick - W4PC
http://www.cssincorp.com

W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 07:43:12 PM »

And yes, it sounds like your TNC to radio connection isn't wired right.. Might want to give Timewave a call about that. 651-489-5080.

Sometimes if you buy premade cables, they havent been tested and if the docs are wrong for the radio( which alot are), then you'll never hear any audio.  Im surprised most of these guys dont check the cables before they go out.  

NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 04:53:43 AM »

If you will contact me by email, I will send you a diagram of the correct wiring. I run a FT-450 and PK232MBX with no problem.

na4it at yahoo dot com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: