The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tecsun PL660 DSP?  (Read 8873 times)
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2015, 12:40:36 PM »

is the PL600 a DSP radio? at IF or AF?
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 02:14:59 PM »

I mean the PL660
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 05:24:08 AM »

According to many reviews I've read of the 660 it has a SiLab 4734 IF chip in it, which is digital (DSP). My guess is it would be IF only, and has another analog AF chip.

I say that because I have a different radio with a SiLab 4731 in it, and it has a separate analog AF chip.
K2II

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 07:52:25 PM »

I purchased a Tecsun PL660 DSP new for about $150. and had it for about 5 days before returning it.  Sensitivity was marginal at best.
Audio quality is minimum and it sounds like a cheap portable.
The radio shows frequency accurately, it is fairly stable, but it is easily overloaded by strong adjacent signals.

For SWL, it proves to be a bust. I had major difficulty hearing an Europeans, South American, Middle East or African stations. It proves to not be very useful at all.
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 12:02:34 AM »

I have a Grundig G2 with a SiLabs DSP chip in it, and it works well on SW. It will sometimes overload, for which you just shorten the whip antenna.

It's fairly sensitive -- for example, I've heard China's broadcasts beamed at Europe from their transmitters in Kashgar (far western China), and I'm in the PNW.

Sounds tinny through its stereo speakers (they're small) but sounds good through headphones.

So -- as with most of these portables, there usually is some sort of tradeoff. Can't expect R75 performance from a portable on a whip. But sometimes they work rather well, thanks to the digital IF chips.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: