The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Use of Battery Stand By Power  (Read 13977 times)
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 11:54:41 AM »

I will chalk up my spelling error to using a small phone while on a train in Switzerland and will not comment on your stalled grammar. Enjoy the analysis.

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 04:33:04 PM »

I will chalk up my spelling error to using a small phone while on a train in Switzerland and will not comment on your stalled grammar. Enjoy the analysis.
  Enjoy the ride.  Since you have web access, here's a very interesting treatise by AA1ZB on the antenna, and a thorough discussion of the NEC program and its eccentricities with respect to the single-ended Zepp.  I found the modeled NEC current distribution intriguing.  Enjoy.
 http://aa1zb.net/Antennas/J-Poles/J-PoleSection.html

If, as W8JI insists, all 1/2 wave vertical dipoles require a ground plane, then the well known toroidal donut e-field must not be an accurate representation, if one believes his postulate.  Perhaps, though, he thinks [that] under the groundplane the lower annulus of the e-field exists.  Anti-Maxwellian?
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 04:44:14 PM »

It seems some advocate a GP to decouple the feedline and mast. It seems like overkill to me.

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 08:53:22 PM »

Point is that a better antenna will direct more signal to the receiver and require less transmitter power and therefore battery drain for the receiver to be in the capture area of the transmitter.  As far as the discussion of how that happens (antenna gain) it's for another topic in another area. 
Another thing to think about with the power savings department is the other functions and features of the transceiver.  A wiz bang full of active filters and DSP processors radio is going to draw more power than a basic 4 stage AM transistor radio.  Couple that with backlighting and all the rest and it's a power hog. 

Another consideration is the audio section of the radio. 
Are you sitting there listening to the hiss of the white noise or is the squelch turned up and the RF gain turned down?
Are you running the volume at a level to be heard across the room or at a whisper to conserve power?
Have you setup monitoring at certain times of the day and turning off the radio when not in use or is it sitting there burning through those stored amps in the battery 24/7?
How many radios are you running at the same time?  You can only talk on one at a time.  Having 4 or 5 powered up is wasting power as well. 
Are you calling in the dark, hollering CQ CQ CQ  every 30 seconds looking for someone in the blind, or have you already made contact with several others and set a schedule of when you will communicate with them and on what predetermined band and frequency?
What are you communicating?  Is it all is well?  Need supplies? Or are you discussing your antenna installation, number of folks in your group and other "lapse of operational security" topics that not only burn power but give all who are listening a better feeling of what you have and they can take by force.  This last one is an easy mistake to make and a golden opportunity for those less savory folks to get a leg up on your situation.  No matter how much you have an how willing you are to share, they may not be.  They may want all you have for themselves.  Katrina was a glaring example of this.  So was Ferguson.

Keep in mind in an actual emergency if you have radios and food, and they have guns, they will have radios food and guns and you will have bullet holes. 

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: