The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The CB "explosion". Why?  (Read 33444 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2015, 03:52:37 PM »

As I understand it you can't view a picture on the FT1DR. You have to view it on a PC or some other device. Its a long way from the current crop of smart phones. In addition, the optional microphone with the camera costs around $300. It also won't communicate (except via analog FM voice mode) with radios from any other mfg.

The FT2DR is said to be able to view pictures. It still isn't available yet, they said it might sell for around $580. No idea when it will be released. http://www.gigaparts.com/Product-Lines/2M-70Cm-Radios/Yaesu-FT-2DR-Handheld-Radio-Analog-and-Digital.html

D-STAR users can use D-RATS to send data connected to a PC. Or use the Android app and Android to ID51A cable ($70) with an Android tablet.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2015, 04:15:18 PM »

Yes, the FT2DR is to have a 1.7" x 1.7" touch screen so we are getting closer. I have a flip phone with a screen about that size and the received pictures are pretty marginal. Sometimes its difficult to even tell what is in the picture.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2015, 05:48:39 PM »

There is an app for that.

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2015, 12:18:14 AM »

I hope ham radio always stays ham radio..... when i want to take pictures, download music, send files, take selfies, I have a cell phone close by for that.

amen
N2SLO

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2015, 05:51:23 AM »

If not for CB, I probably wouldn't be a ham. My first radio was a Lafayette HB-950. I was in grade school- didn't have money
for a base antenna, so I went to Radio Shack and bought their back of the set antenna, the one foot high with PL259 "L" connector. I hooked up the antenna, and sat on my bed and the band was filled with DX, probably around 1977 or so. I called skip land on channel 26, and someone in Texas came right back to me, 5 watts and back of set antenna. I almost fell of the bed with excitement. I had the "bug". So thanks CB for what I have today- it was a stepping stone to my interest in communications and radios.
N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2015, 07:10:46 AM »

Uhhh, I thought this was about a CB radio that exploded and hurt someone.

Hi Hi

I got into CB in the mid seventies and graduated to Amateur around 1977.  I drive a truck for a living so I still use CB.  There is a group of local drivers like myself and we use CB to keep in touch and shoot the s%$t.
Some of the other drivers are Hams too.  Being a local driver I don't live in the truck nor drive for more than an hour at a time so its not worth it for me to set up an HF station in there.

I do most of my Haming at my QTH and some in my personal vehicle.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2015, 06:55:31 AM »

FCC license application 1974

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:59:49 AM by W4KYR » Logged

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 

K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2015, 12:15:02 PM »

LOL, oh man, that's great!

BTW, didn't they briefly go with a typically idiotic government idea of making your own callsign right after they stopped issuing licenses?  I think the instructions that were packed with a new CB said something like "use something recognizable like your initials followed by the last four of your Social Security number or telephone number", etc?  Something like that, can't remember for sure. 

Your government.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:20:12 PM by K9MHZ » Logged
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2015, 01:40:57 PM »

LOL, oh man, that's great!

BTW, didn't they briefly go with a typically idiotic government idea of making your own callsign right after they stopped issuing licenses?  I think the instructions that were packed with a new CB said something like "use something recognizable like your initials followed by the last four of your Social Security number or telephone number", etc?  Something like that, can't remember for sure.  

Your government.

They did, it was an temporary authorization using your initials and zip code until your license arrived. Form 555-B “Temporary Permit”. It started sometime in 1976 when the FCC was overwhelmed with license applications.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:47:42 PM by W4KYR » Logged

N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2015, 02:30:59 PM »

I forgot about that, right.  I can still remember my 11 meter call sign, KBIL 2884.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2015, 06:41:38 PM »

Grin  Yep, that's it!

WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2015, 10:54:03 AM »

Seems like to me it was the truckers who spread CB all over the country.  I remember having one in the early 1960's, a Knight kit walkie talkie.  Nobody was on much at all then.  CB in the mid 70's was a major national fad.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »

Cheap cell phones did it, and strange people ranting on all the channels-- not that there isn't some of that on 80 and 20.  Many truckers have gone to the 450 FRS radios to avoid the nonstop babble on what's left of CB.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2015, 05:38:56 AM »

Stop into one of those mega truck stops the next time you're road tripping down an interstate.  Go inside and just look around a bit.  Then imagine talking to them on a CB radio.

You get the idea.

WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »

"Where is the HT with built in camera and QWERTY keyboard that can send text, pictures and video to other radios?"

3) Unless you go into the microwave spectrum, FCC regulations limit ham radio bandwidth (thus the data rate) to the point where multimedia performance is too slow to be acceptable in most cases.

If you are willing to work in the 2.4GHz band, you could use converted wifi routers, as in HSMM-Mesh.   But that's not currently like using a handheld...

I used to have KAAR5167 back in the 70's, then "upgraded" to "WA2ISE"   Grin
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: