Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about that round PSK31 tuning indicator  (Read 735 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2009, 11:22:25 AM »

Honest, I've tried to answer this basic question on my own using Google and the Hamscope manual!

But what the heck is that round PSK tuning indicator thingie called and how is it used? I find tons of info (and some videos) about the waterfall but nothing about the round device.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 11:59:31 AM »

It shows the phases of the signal you have tuned in. In BPSK (the normal PSK31 mode) you will have two lines 180 deg apart when properly tuned. In QPSK you will have 4 lines 90 deg apart when properly tuned.

This indicator was primarily used in the early days before the waterfall when you tuned in signals with the VFO on the transceiver. It is useful to determine if the received signal is BPSK or QPSK.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 12:02:18 PM »

Oh, its called a "phase indicator" and it can still be used to fine tune a signal if you have the AFC turned off.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 12:40:37 PM »

Thanks, Bob. Using "phase indicator" I find all sorts of info in G. Thanks too for info re BPSK and QPSK.

I wasn't getting anywhere looking up "round PSK thingie" Smiley
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 11:15:24 AM »

"I wasn't getting anywhere looking up "round PSK thingie" Smiley"

Probably the term 'thingie' is a bit too technical for Google.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 01:19:57 PM »

I don't really know why they ever bothered to design those things which in some softwares take up too much space. PSK is simple, just drop the pointer on the trace on the screen and decoding starts immediatly, no need for tuning indicators.Pactor used to be difficult even with a tuning indicator, that was a skill !

G0GQK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: