The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-480 Remote  (Read 51947 times)
K0AAJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 05:34:38 AM »

I too am trying the Kenwood software in order to remote my laptop to the TS-480. All of my connectivity works from my com port when locally attached, but I am unable to configure an address in the Kenwood's Net Command System. When I select net command, then settings, then add, the OK button is grayed out and doesn't accept my entries. Therefore, I cannot remote through my router, since there is no ip address configured for a network call.

Anybody have a clue what may cause this? The software is functional from my pc to the TS-480 using a com port via cable, but no net connection with no allowed ip configured.

Thanks
Ron
KE0DFX
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 12:23:23 PM »

You will use the IP of machine as Internet sees it (not local network IP) and the port that software uses. Strat with running a app like MyIP to figure out IP of machine in question.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 01:04:40 PM »

To make sure we are "on the same page", the spot you are referring to is in the ARCP-480 program (the one with all the control buttons), under control - settings - then click setting under that, then add, then the input comes up that you are referring to? It asks for; connection name, description, address, IP port no. (this should already be filled in with 50000), user name, password, retype password. If this is correct, the OK will stayed grayed out until you fill in all the important info.

BTW: you can obtain the IP address from the computer in question by opening the command prompt & entering the command,
ipconfig    - for LAN, WAN can be gotten off your router or with a program. You can use your browser & go to the site shields up, it will display it as well.

An account will need to be created in the host program, the user & password, to use on the remote.
Hope this helps...

If not sure what to do, refer to the help for that section, that is what helped me!    Wink
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:09:30 PM by WD8OQX » Logged
K0AAJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 01:54:23 PM »

To make sure we are "on the same page", the spot you are referring to is in the ARCP-480 program (the one with all the control buttons), under control - settings - then click setting under that, then add, then the input comes up that you are referring to? It asks for; connection name, description, address, IP port no. (this should already be filled in with 50000), user name, password, retype password. If this is correct, the OK will stayed grayed out until you fill in all the important info.

BTW: you can obtain the IP address from the computer in question by opening the command prompt & entering the command,
ipconfig    - for LAN, WAN can be gotten off your router or with a program. You can use your browser & go to the site shields up, it will display it as well.

An account will need to be created in the host program, the user & password, to use on the remote.
Hope this helps...

If not sure what to do, refer to the help for that section, that is what helped me!    Wink

Yes, understand all that, but I failed to completely fill the block. Once I did that, I and thought I had done this already, the ok became an active button. Once I saw what was happening, I configured the host end so that it would accept the call.

Thanks gang, I hate making dumb mistakes, especially one as simple as this one.

So if I understand this control client and the host, it appears to me the host must be running in the background before a remote control client will establish a connection? Am I mistaken? Because I cannot establish a remote control connection unless r the host is already running.

Thanks again!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 04:16:40 PM »

So if I understand this control client and the host, it appears to me the host must be running in the background before a remote control client will establish a connection? Am I mistaken? Because I cannot establish a remote control connection unless r the host is already running.

Thanks again!

Correct. No host no connection.

WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 05:20:54 PM »

Remember, under W7's setup, there are two programs running on both. One being the control & the other being audio. One of these programs can be running & the other not & you can still connect to the running one. But yeah, it has to be running to connect.

To do this over WAN, one can set the BIOS to boot on power up & put these two programs in the startup so the potential for connection is restored if power goes.

Also, don't feel  back about the question, it threw me at first too, but I've seen enough of this that I soon figured that was the case. Also the check box for the "Use network command system" must be check, mine wasn't & it grayed out some things.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 05:36:43 AM »

To do this over WAN, one can set the BIOS to boot on power up & put these two programs in the startup so the potential for connection is restored if power goes.

Not best idea as it can also be a open door to bad software installs. A better fix is to use a UPS to power computer and router and power hicups or short outages have no effect.

N1DYX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 10:48:19 AM »

Finally got my cable and have interfaced to the host computer and can turn the radio on and off so it appears to be communicating OK.
But I can't get the remote computer to talk to the host, I keep getting "kns Host can't be found, Number of IP Port Incorrect."
The IP port on the ARCP 480 on the remote computer is set to 50000 as is the host ARHP 10 software.

I do see however there is no IP address showing up in the Host program under "Connection Status".  If I check in the host setup window the IP address of my router is being displayed.

The host is using Com 3 but I'm not sure what to set the remote to, it defaults to Com 1.  I've tried them up to Com 10 and nothing changes.  Maybe this has nothing to do with the problem, not sure.  I'm a little short on gray matter!
WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 11:01:39 AM »

Not best idea as it can also be a open door to bad software installs. A better fix is to use a UPS to power computer and router and power hicups or short outages have no effect.

This kind of depends on how one define "bad software installs". If it's to mean, open to being "hacked", just the act of hooking the computer to the internet will do that. So ones network should be made as secure as possible to begin with. If it's to mean, M$ updates, one should NOT be doing updates automatically anyway. Given how they bust the machine more than fix, I'd say CAUTION is needed in doing ANY updates as it is.
WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 11:11:06 AM »

Finally got my cable and have interfaced to the host computer and can turn the radio on and off so it appears to be communicating OK.
But I can't get the remote computer to talk to the host, I keep getting "kns Host can't be found, Number of IP Port Incorrect."
The IP port on the ARCP 480 on the remote computer is set to 50000 as is the host ARHP 10 software.

I do see however there is no IP address showing up in the Host program under "Connection Status".  If I check in the host setup window the IP address of my router is being displayed.

The host is using Com 3 but I'm not sure what to set the remote to, it defaults to Com 1.  I've tried them up to Com 10 and nothing changes.  Maybe this has nothing to do with the problem, not sure.  I'm a little short on gray matter!

From what I see here, it looks like your firewall is blocking it. Try turning off the HOST firewall, temporarily, & see if it will connect. If it does, then you will need to check settings - but you may run into the same thing I did & it just not work with it on.

To get the com port info, check the "device manager" under com ports. When you plug your cable in, it should tell you the one it's using.
I don't recall the remote needing one, but as soon as I can, I'll check & post.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 11:18:41 AM by WD8OQX » Logged
N1DYX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2015, 11:24:11 AM »

Disabling Windows firewall had no effect.

Just to clarify; my remote computer IP address in the ARCP setup is displaying the Host computer IP address.  The IP address in the Host software is displaying the Router IP address.  Is that correct?
WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2015, 05:29:16 PM »

All of mine displays the host IP address (192.168.x.x), but I'm doing mine LAN ONLY.

I suggest starting out with LAN, then go to WAN when working right, IF you plan to use it on WAN.

In case you don't know:
LAN = Local Area Network
WAN = Wide Area Network (in this case - internet)
N1DYX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2015, 04:11:41 AM »

All of mine displays the host IP address (192.168.x.x), but I'm doing mine LAN ONLY.

I suggest starting out with LAN, then go to WAN when working right, IF you plan to use it on WAN.

In case you don't know:
LAN = Local Area Network
WAN = Wide Area Network (in this case - internet)

Yes I agree on LAN first.  I changed the addresses to all host and disabled the Windows firewall and still no connection.  It took longer to bring up the error this time but still says "Number of IP Port is incorrect".   Definitely doing something wrong here.

I also looked at the router setup and disabled the firewall with no result.  Seems like that could be an issue also.

I appreciate the help by the way.

Bill
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:52:39 AM by N1DYX » Logged
WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2015, 05:42:40 AM »

With doing a LAN, you won't be touching the router.

I hope you are not confusing the port addresses with the IP addresses, they are two different things.
You make want to recheck. The ports have to match, host to remote & there are two of them if I remember correctly.
One for control & the other for voice.

I am hoping to be able to make time by Tuesday to write a tutorial on how to set this up. I will post it by then if I do.
N1DYX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2015, 05:50:34 AM »

With doing a LAN, you won't be touching the router.

I hope you are not confusing the port addresses with the IP addresses, they are two different things.
You make want to recheck. The ports have to match, host to remote & there are two of them if I remember correctly.
One for control & the other for voice.

I am hoping to be able to make time by Tuesday to write a tutorial on how to set this up. I will post it by then if I do.

The port address is 50000 on both host and remote.  I changed the IP address to 192.168. XXX on both. 
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: