The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reducing Noise on Alinco DX-r8t/E & Wellbrook ALA1530 Antenna  (Read 8790 times)
N4SRN

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2015, 06:31:04 AM »

I have set up my ALinco DX-r8t/E SWL receiver in my 3rd floor office, connected to a Wellbrook ALA1530 active loop natenna, which sits on my window sill. I have no other options for an antenna, as I can run wire outside the building or outside my office.

I have a 3ft 12G solid copper wire from the ground terminal to a radiator pipe, and am beginning to put Mix31 ferrite beads on all of the electrical wires and PC cables in my office.

While AM comes in clear, HF (20m, 17m) is very noisy, and I can barely make out any voice. Even WWV 10.0 MHz is very noisy at 4am, when I can get a loud and clear signal from my mobile.

The window faces another 4 story building and I only get a gap of sky, so signal is probably poor.

Are there any other options I might try to cut noise and boost signal (within the office walls)?

Bret/N4SRN
Bedford, NH  USA
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 11:48:26 AM »

Here are some ideas....

-Try disconnecting your ground wire.  There is no hard and fast rule about ground wires for receivers.  If it helps use it.  If it is noisier, don't.
-Put the radio/antenna on a different wall plug from office equipment
-Put radios and office equipment on true 'surge suppressor' type power strips
-Straighten up/uncross all power cables and cables, coil up excess length.
-Put ferrites close to each device, if possible use 3-4 turns of cord through ferrite

Good luck. Office environments are terribly noisy.   bill
N4SRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 03:34:51 PM »

Good stuff! Thanks for the ideas.

Bret/N4SRN
Bedford, NH  USA
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 10:38:36 AM »

If your antenna is imbedded in the home's noise sources- not a lot you can do. The 2 nulls on the Wellbrook might reduce the largest offender. I doubt your ground is at all effective fro RF. There is a difference between a DC ground and an RF ground.

GL,

Dale W4OP
N6PG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 06:38:38 AM »

Try operating from a small 12v batter to not use the 110v from the building.  

as for the antenna, as others have stated, you probably don't have a good RF ground.  You can try turning some lights off, just to see if it's noisy ballast transformers in the lighting system.  Can you get another wire out as a counterpoise?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:08:32 AM by N6PG » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: