The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: After 52 Years of hamming, my first contest  (Read 7814 times)
KD1I

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2015, 03:52:14 PM »

In my 52 years of ham radio, I mostly spent it tinkering, building, restoring boat anchors, making antennas and so on. OK, I decided to quit cussing the contesters and join the fun of some contesting. This past weekends DX Phone contest was my first and hopefully not my last but I do have a rookie question for you avid contesters with experience.   I used Logger 32 for logging because it was A. familiar to me and B. It was a last minute decision to join in - no time to learn a new program. 
I uploaded my log file to LoTW just to keep a record toward DXCC.  That's a new one for me as well as I just received my first DXCC via LoTW, not using QSL cards.   So here is my question: " When others send in their logs for the phone contest, will the ARRL apply this to LoTW as well"?

Or, will I still depend upon the DX station to either send in a file to LoTW or I will need to send the usual SASE with lots of green stamps?

Many thanks es 73,   Jim       KD1I
AA4Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 05:18:17 PM »

LoTW has the most intricate verification process of any online service I've ever encountered, you can open an IRA, apply for a credit card, book a flight around the world or get hunting license faster and with less trouble online than getting set up on LoTW to "sign" and upload that first log.

submitting a contest log is a simple email that could come from anybody.

so, while it would be really cool if your contest cabrillo was automatically entered in LoTW by ARRL, it is almost certainly not.

Although if you already have a LoTW account, you just upload the same cabrillo to LoTW as you emailed to the contest email, and you're done before the finals in the radio have even cooled down after the contest at 0002Z.

Welcome to the world of contesting...

AA4Q

AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 05:38:07 PM »

It is not.  But take solace in the fact that most avid contesters are reliable LOTW users.

Richard, AB4ZT
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 05:44:40 PM »

There was a while, back in the early 70's, where the DXCC desk would give DXCC credit for being in the DX's submitted ARRL DX log. This policy hasn't existed for at least 40 years now.

You need either a paper card or LOTW confirmation. LOTW participation by contesters is pretty high.
KD1I

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 06:52:49 PM »

Thanks for the good info, guys.  I was going broke sending those green stamps and it was really heartening to get that DXCC via LoTW with no cards as yet. You are right about that level of security.... way more than a simple award needs to have.....    Not sure why they did that. I have used LoTW for a while now but only for casual DXing and local contacts.

Very Best, Jim
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 10:34:58 AM »

There was a while, back in the early 70's, where the DXCC desk would give DXCC credit for being in the DX's submitted ARRL DX log. This policy hasn't existed for at least 40 years now.

You need either a paper card or LOTW confirmation. LOTW participation by contesters is pretty high.
Actually, it was more like the 1950's and early 1960's.  I was told that by a former ARRL staff member who (amongst other things) oversaw DXCC & the Contest Branch.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 10:39:08 AM »

In my 52 years of ham radio, I mostly spent it tinkering, building, restoring boat anchors, making antennas and so on. OK, I decided to quit cussing the contesters and join the fun of some contesting. This past weekends DX Phone contest was my first and hopefully not my last but I do have a rookie question for you avid contesters with experience.   I used Logger 32 for logging because it was A. familiar to me and B. It was a last minute decision to join in - no time to learn a new program. 
I uploaded my log file to LoTW just to keep a record toward DXCC.  That's a new one for me as well as I just received my first DXCC via LoTW, not using QSL cards.   So here is my question: " When others send in their logs for the phone contest, will the ARRL apply this to LoTW as well"?

Or, will I still depend upon the DX station to either send in a file to LoTW or I will need to send the usual SASE with lots of green stamps?

Many thanks es 73,   Jim       KD1I
Jim,

At present, logs submitted for ARRL contests are not automatically also forwarded into LotW.  It could be done, and I can make a strong argument that it should be done... but it's not, not at present.

That said, one can just do what I do.  I take my .LOG file, email a copy to the appropriate contest robot, then run it through TQSL and upload it to LotW.  I've already seen about 40% of the contacts I made over the weekend confirmed in LotW, and that percentage will jump as the week goes by.

You do still have to depend on the DX station to upload their log to LotW for a match, though.
KD1I

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 03:14:49 PM »

Ron, I should not admit this but my logging was rather complex. Since I had no experience with contest loggers, I just used Logger 32 and periodically uploaded to LoTW. After the contest, I entered all the contacts into an Excel spreadsheet so I could sort by band, entity, etc.
I printed this out and sent in as a paper log along with the printed ARRL form.    OK, that's pretty old school and next time I'll use N1MM logger  - if I can figure it out.  HI HI .

Many Thanks and 73, Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: