The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'M SORRY, BUT I HAVE TO VENT!  (Read 35462 times)
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2015, 07:09:05 PM »

K8AXW
But what does that have to do with rude, obnoxious, foul mouth behavior while on the air. These are two separate arguments. So if you don't know Ohms Law or can't solder a PL-259 your more prone to curse on the air?

It means by some here that you are not a real ham when you can't solder or know Ohms law. And since your not a real ham, you WILL be the poor operator on the air. So by extention, your ability to be a good operator is based on how much technical knowledge you have. And also by extention, those poor operators who use the bad language on the air just can't exist before the testing was simplified.

Again I say hogwash. A poor operator can be some of the technically smartest people. It can also be people who have been trained by people that say they can't be real hams. So they just don't care how they operate.

So some feel they are connected somehow. I don't buy it. Never have and never will. Poor operators exist because they do what they want, when they want and typically without fear of reprisals. There in is the problem. Just like those who speed on the highway. Don't care about the laws and have no fear of the laws. Some just need to place the blame on someone else instead of the actual law breaker.

Yes I agree those operators are pathetic, but blame others for what the poor OPs do. That is a classic enabler. Just like serving alcohol to a drunk. Don't blame the drunk, he is that way cause someone else made him/her that way.

I also think the simple statement by CJS hits closest to home. Good post Chris!

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2015, 08:19:54 PM »

FIB:  We're talking about two different subjects here and mixing them into one.

This will never resolve anything nor will it create an understanding of what each of us is trying to say.

To that end, I can see further posts on this subject is a waste of time. 

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2015, 04:48:30 AM »

FIB:  We're talking about two different subjects here and mixing them into one.

This will never resolve anything nor will it create an understanding of what each of us is trying to say.

To that end, I can see further posts on this subject is a waste of time. 

Because some are also mixing the subjects or we wouldn't have 2 subjects in the first place. I just tried to show the inaccuracy of the second subject as the cause of the first subject. And to help put a reason behind the first subject.

But you are right...If we all live in denial, blame others, and enable the bad OPs, there will never be a solution. As long as WE ALL don't become the self policing group, which was what I was taught when I first got my license we were supposed to be, conditions will continue to deteriorate. And I have become just as complacent as most other hams in doing nothing but complain on forums how bad it is. And there is where the blame should fall. All of us are responsible for the cleanliness of our bands. Not just finding (or making up) a reason to blame the problem on, and do nothing.

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2015, 07:49:09 AM »

...Poor operators exist because they do what they want, when they want and typically without fear of reprisals. There in is the problem....

That's the truth of the matter in a nutshell--and that applies to all hams who are poor operators.  The really pathetic aspect to it is this:  Some of those long time hams who do as they want are just as bad if not worse than some of the newer "CB transplanted" bad habit hams are.  Sometimes those long time hams who are poor operators are more numerous on the bands than the newer 'transplanted' hams are too.

Ever stop to think that some of the long time hams have sunk to the poor operator level because they simply don't care anymore?  It's 'their' hobby, and they aren't giving it up--but neither do they care about what and how they're operating because they think nobody else cares--or is listening?

It all goes to show one simple thing about this thread.  You can't point fingers at any one group of hams--unless the grouping you're using is simply "poor operators."
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 07:51:47 AM by K1CJS » Logged
K2DFC

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2015, 08:04:32 AM »

This has nothing to do with hard or easy testing. It has to do with society in general. Nobody has any values anymore. Have you watched TV lately? Do you see many programs where you don't hear the constant "BEEP BEEP BEEP" of censoring. People don't care anymore. Bad language is common place today, so why wouldn't you expect to hear it on the ham bands. The same reason any DXpedition will attract QRMers who just want to make life miserable for others.
[

After following this for the last 7 pages, I stand by my original comment.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2015, 12:33:48 PM »

hams who think they own the bands. 

How about the ones who think they have squatter's rights to a certain frequency? They've been there for 40 years, so it must be theirs. All others, just go away. Too bad if you're using it when they want it.

Still happens. Go listen to 14.300
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: