The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'M SORRY, BUT I HAVE TO VENT!  (Read 36680 times)
N1RND

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2015, 04:25:07 PM »

Whats wrong with some people today?  I came home from work and turned on the rig and people are out of control.  I started on 20 meters and heard all kinds of foolish malicious behavior, not one but a few different freqs.
I went down to 40 and heard more of the same!  I also noticed that people on the road today were worse than usual.  My wife told me people that people at work have been ruder than usual.

I can deal with )#@%^&)%^# people in ordinary life but when it transcends into what is suppose (at least was)  a "gentlemans" hobby it aggravates me.

I dont know what else to say.  I love the hobby and won't give it up but today was a bad experience.  I have a demanding job and its nice to come home turn the rig on, work some dx, rag chew with a stateside and unwind.

The more I meet people, the more I love my dog.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 04:47:36 PM »

A "gentleman" is defined by some as "a man who never offends anyone unless he intends to."   Perhaps what you are hearing is due to an increase in the number of gentlemen who are deliberately, rather than inadvertently or accidentally attempting to offend... perhaps as a way of attracting attention or compensating for certain self-perceived inequities in their penis size. 

I've never thought of ham radio as a "gentleman's" hobby any more than golf, stamp collecting, coon hunting, tennis or polo. 

Dogs are good.  Next time you feel this way about radio... turn the rig off, settle down with a nice glass of scotch and give your dogs ears a good scratch.  You'll both feel better!  Grin
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 04:06:17 AM »

I don't know if there's some Dr. Phil in this or not, but I'll take a stab.

Years ago, most people built something, and some even built everything in their stations.  Getting on the air was a thrill, and you befriended people with whom you had similar interests and experiences.  It was almost a must, as you needed the mutual support just to keep things running.  Today, rigs are so advanced and comparatively cheap, the only steps are to take and pass a very simple exam, go to HRO with some plastic, and come home with a new piece of reliable gear that's phenomenally designed and manufactured.  Things come very easy and cheap today, and it's everywhere. 
N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 06:50:58 AM »

Dogs are good.  Next time you feel this way about radio... turn the rig off, settle down with a nice glass of scotch and give your dogs ears a good scratch.  You'll both feel better!  Grin
[/quote]
That's basically what I did, except it was beer while watching the Bruins game.  At least you expect fighting in hockey
K9MHZ, I know exactly what you're saying.  since it has become easier to be a ham alot of operators don't take it serious enough.
I know a guy that is an 11 meter op.He's been into it for a long time and knows a lot about radio.  One day I asked him, "with all your knowledge how come you never got into Ham Radio"?
His reply was, "Ham radio is no fun because your not allowed to swear and talk about crazy stuff".
I had to give him some credit for not getting licensed.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 06:53:29 AM by N1RND » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 07:30:16 AM »

Whats wrong with some people today?  I came home from work and turned on the rig and people are out of control.  I started on 20 meters and heard all kinds of foolish malicious behavior, not one but a few different freqs.
I went down to 40 and heard more of the same!  I also noticed that people on the road today were worse than usual.  My wife told me people that people at work have been ruder than usual.

I can deal with )#@%^&)%^# people in ordinary life but when it transcends into what is suppose (at least was)  a "gentlemans" hobby it aggravates me.

I dont know what else to say.  I love the hobby and won't give it up but today was a bad experience.  I have a demanding job and its nice to come home turn the rig on, work some dx, rag chew with a stateside and unwind.

The more I meet people, the more I love my dog.

Ever since they made it very easy to get a ticket there was been a degradation of the hobby. Many ex CBers are now hams but brought the mindset with it. It is not the same as it was 46 years ago when I started and I fear the future holds even more degradation. I would say that 40 is maybe the least effected band and 20 the worst.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 07:46:30 AM »

Dogs are good.  Next time you feel this way about radio... turn the rig off, settle down with a nice glass of scotch and give your dogs ears a good scratch.  You'll both feel better!  Grin
That's basically what I did, except it was beer while watching the Bruins game.  At least you expect fighting in hockey
K9MHZ, I know exactly what you're saying.  since it has become easier to be a ham alot of operators don't take it serious enough.
I know a guy that is an 11 meter op.He's been into it for a long time and knows a lot about radio.  One day I asked him, "with all your knowledge how come you never got into Ham Radio"?
His reply was, "Ham radio is no fun because your not allowed to swear and talk about crazy stuff".
I had to give him some credit for not getting licensed.

[/quote]

Ah yes, alcohol, another sedentary pastime. I can't help but notice that most hams are obese. Maybe actually take the dog for a walk? He/she will also enjoy the change of pace.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 08:54:23 AM »

I'm with JX.  I saw the same thing happen to CB.  When CB was 23 channels and the radios were fairly expensive, CB thrived and was in most cases, fun.  Sure there were the same kind of people RND is talking about but they were the minority. 

Then the FCC changed the frequency allocation to 40 channels and the market was flooded with the now obsolete and consequently cheap 23 channel radios.  It seemed that now everyonehad a radio and that's when CB became complete chaos.  Today CB, when compared to what it was in it's "hey-day",  for all practical purposes is DEAD!

I can see the same thing happening to ham radio but at a somewhat slower rate.  But, it is happening and will eventually become chaotic and then as we knew it, die.

Today, HR is money driven.  That's the reason for the present day testing methods.  Keep the hobby alive and make it easier to get licensed to compete with the Internet and cell phones.  Bottom line.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 09:45:57 AM »

I'm with JX.  I saw the same thing happen to CB.  When CB was 23 channels and the radios were fairly expensive, CB thrived and was in most cases, fun.  Sure there were the same kind of people RND is talking about but they were the minority. 

Then the FCC changed the frequency allocation to 40 channels and the market was flooded with the now obsolete and consequently cheap 23 channel radios.  It seemed that now everyonehad a radio and that's when CB became complete chaos.  Today CB, when compared to what it was in it's "hey-day",  for all practical purposes is DEAD!

I can see the same thing happening to ham radio but at a somewhat slower rate.  But, it is happening and will eventually become chaotic and then as we knew it, die.

Today, HR is money driven.  That's the reason for the present day testing methods.  Keep the hobby alive and make it easier to get licensed to compete with the Internet and cell phones.  Bottom line.

Yes it is all about short term profit with no concern about long term effect.

DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 10:17:48 AM »

Dogs are OK but I'm a cat person myself, we're always nice and calm. In your position I would settle back on one of the WARC bands, especially in the CW section, and have a good rag chew with your favorite key in one hand and a drink in the other. Low lighting in the shack helps, most operating nights I'm sitting there in semi darkness listening to the world go by then sending my little signal into the ether.

Hunting DX? With all the jammers and the Kilowatt stations using stacked beams it's too much hard work.

Peter DL8OV
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 10:41:37 AM »

Personally, I think it has much more to do with society in general than it does with testing standards or the ease of setting up a station. In general, people used to treat each other with much more respect than they do now days. You see it on the highways, on the Internet, in stores - almost anyplace where people interact with each other.  Ham radio is just one more of those places.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 11:23:43 AM »

Personally, I think it has much more to do with society in general than it does with testing standards or the ease of setting up a station. In general, people used to treat each other with much more respect than they do now days. You see it on the highways, on the Internet, in stores - almost anyplace where people interact with each other.  Ham radio is just one more of those places.

While this has some merit, harder tests/requirements weeded some out and made those that made it appreciate it more. Many modern hams would not be hams at all if old requirements were still in place and there would be less traffic on bands. This is a bit harsh but true.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 11:45:41 AM »

Certainly both have some influence. The reduction in FCC enforcement has an effect too. In the old days most hams would be shacking in their boots if they got a pink slip from the FCC. Apparently the FCC did a lot more monitoring in those days. I knew several that got pink slips for chirpy signals and harmonics.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 12:16:08 PM »

We're having this discussion AGAIN?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 12:41:59 PM »

Certainly both have some influence. The reduction in FCC enforcement has an effect too. In the old days most hams would be shacking in their boots if they got a pink slip from the FCC. Apparently the FCC did a lot more monitoring in those days. I knew several that got pink slips for chirpy signals and harmonics.

Its the new way of congress. If you cannot change law you simply defund it so there is no enforcement. More oversite is needed no less.

N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 01:09:02 PM »

We're having this discussion AGAIN?

I know, I know, look what I started.

What we need is for a meteor to hit the Earth killing off most of mankind and setting us back a thousand years.
Time to start over.

Regarding cats, I have one of those too.
Regarding the obesity thing, I'm skinny and most of the Hams I know are not obese.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: