Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RigBlaster Pro Compared To SignaLink USB  (Read 9266 times)
VCARUSO

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2007, 07:09:43 PM »

Are there any threads or topics that compare the RigBlaster Pro to the SignaLink USB?  I have been waiting for 3 weeks for the SignaLink USB and am being tempted to just buy the RigBlaster Pro.

Any suggestions or threads that have already discussed this?

Thanks,
Vince
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 09:02:18 PM »

This would be an apples to oranges comparison.  The RigBlaster is an interface to a sound card in a computer.  The SignalLink USB has an internal sound card.

Dennis KG4RUL
W6JAK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 09:28:36 PM »

Reading the reviews on this website provides a lot of insight/opinions on both products.  The Signalink has a higher average rating than the Rigblaster Pro (5.0/33 reviews vs 4.3/22 reviews).  I recently purchased the Signalink USB and am completely satisfied (after waiting four weeks to receive it).  I've used it on packet (including APRS), psk-31, and MT-63 and it works great.  Setup was easy with only two cables to connect and no power supply required.  I don't think there's a better value or more elegant design currently on the market for an equivalent capability.

If I were you, I would save my money and wait for the Signalink.

Whatever you choose to do, have fun with the digital modes.

N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 08:30:24 AM »

"The Signalink has a higher average rating than the Rigblaster Pro (5.0/33 reviews vs 4.3/22 reviews)"

Just be careful to *read* the reviews.

Sometimes somebody will give a product a "0" rating just because they're an idiot.... but you can always tell from the comments ;-)

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
VCARUSO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 10:45:32 AM »

Thanks all for the input.  I guess the right thing to do is wait for the SignalLink product.  I appreciate all the input and look forward to going digital soon.

Tnx again,
Vince
KI4VBR
Clearwater, FL
K4SC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 10:12:34 AM »

Vince;  I just wanted to point you to the SignaLink USB review I wrote in March, where I was a bit cryptic about the interface I had returned before purchasing the SignaLink.  It was the RigBlaster Pro.  I have nothing bad to say about the RigBlaster Pro, but the SignaLink USB does everything I need done for 1/3 the price and eliminated some serious RFI issues.

I've had the SignaLink USB for three months now, and I joke regularly to others on the air that the only way they will get mine is to pry it from my cold dead fingers!!!  I mean it too.  I took it to my radio club when we had a program on PSK.  There were three stations set up and mine seemed to have the most interest.  Had a couple of offers to buy it for more than cost.  Be patient, you won't regret waiting.
W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 11:44:09 PM »

I have a Rig Blaster Pro.

I operate PSK31, RTTY, MT63, Keyboard CW send and receive, Ham Radio Deluxe.

It does the job, but the documentation sucks!  I needed 4 phone calls just to get basic PSK running with Digipan.

I eventually asked for the schematic, because I needed that to get RTTY to work (figure out a jumper block setting for the rig).  I had to sign a non disclosure agreement with West Mountain, then they sent schematic; after that, I marked up the schematic.  Hook up and operation became much easier for all the modes after that.

As the QST review said, good hardware, lousy documentation.

Reliability fine too, no problems after 3 years in operation.
W2DIP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 01:22:38 PM »

As one ham said, just be careful with the reviews because a higher rating on one product does not make it better than a different product with a lower rating. Hyundai owners rate their satisfaction 9.9 out of 10. Does that make the Hyundai a better car than a Lexus with a customer satisfaction rating of 9.0??? See what I mean?

I waited 4 weeks for a SignaLink USB and was told that it would be another 6 weeks at least because they ran out of cases and their supplier would not be able to ship more until then. That was the final straw for me and I bought a Rigblaster Plug and Play. Same thing but without the built in sound card plus a few other features that the Signalink USB does not have. I refuse to do business with a company with very poor production planning and suppliers, no matter how good their product is. It does not say much for the company and raises red flags about the reasons given for the delays.

I also echo the comment about reading the reviews. I have seen bad ratings due to problems from many years ago which have since been fixed, hams not checking to see if what they are buying works with their rigs, and my favorite of all times, a 3/5 rating because "I did not need all the features of the rig.".
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 04:09:19 PM »

I've certainly heard a lot of good things about the SignaLink USB, and I have no reason to doubt any of them.  But after waiting over 6 weeks for a unit, ordered mostly out of convenience (it's just not that hard to build an interface yourself), I canceled my order.

To folks who are interested in getting one of these devices, I'd suggest calling up Tigertronics first, to get an estimate of how long you'll have to wait.  Then double it.
VCARUSO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 08:42:46 PM »

Thanks for all the reply messages.  

I agree about the poor planning on Tigertronics part.  Who knows where the breakdown actually took place.  I had to call them to find out.  They never notified me.

I am going to keep my order with them even though I am ticked off.  I did go and purchase a RigBlaster pro and am looking forward to getting it next week.

I will also check out the Signalink when it finally does show up (waiting 5 weeks now).  I will gladly post my comments on it when I get it.

Thanks again to all.

73 de KI4VBR.
Vince
K4SC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 07:44:52 PM »

As long as it isn't a financial burden to you, I think you or anyone
else waiting on the SignaLink USB would be shortsighted to cancel their
order.  If after it finally arrives, you decide you don't want it, you
could resell it in a heartbeat, and possibly a profit too.  If I had a
dozen of them, I could sell them by the time the sun set today.

73 de K4SC
N7HHC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 06:40:15 AM »

Like many others, I took my turn in line and waited, and waited, and waited for my SignaLink USB.  It arrived a couple days ago, and I had it on the air in about 15 minutes.  I feel it was worth the wait, and as others have commented, I could sell it today for a profit.  Tigertronics has a real winner with this product, and the demand has probably overwhelmed them, along with problems getting materials from their suppliers.  They can't build them if they don't have the parts.  When I did send them emails inquiring about my order, they replied quickly and kept me advised of where I was on the list.  They also paid the shipping because of the long delay.  In my mind, this is a quality product and a quality company, it is worth the wait.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 12:16:07 PM »

Folks, please keep in mind that many of us ordered the SignaLink USB because we wanted to get on PSK31, and not because we wanted to enter the SignaLink USB speculation market.  For those more interested in the former than the latter, it'd be a good idea to call up Tigertronics and see how long you'll have to wait.  And as I suggested above, double the estimate.
K4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 05:03:25 PM »

I have a Tigertronics USB and would like to set it up on my FT-897D any help I have never done PSK 31 only SSTV
K4SC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 05:03:55 AM »

How can I help you Craig?  Perhaps (hopefully) you have already gotten it working and are experiencing PSK-31 bliss.  If not direct any questions to me at alazia2003 at yahoo dot com and I will do my best to get you going.

de Chuck K4SC  York, South Carolina
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: