Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Barts  (Read 5035 times)
KD4UPJ

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2000, 11:43:31 AM »

Am planning  a trip to St. Barts... what is the proper
process for taking ham gear for use during the stay?

Don  KD4UP
NP2BT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2000, 01:29:58 PM »

THERE IS NO CUSTOMS AT ST. BARTS ONLY IMMIGRATION. MIGHT WANT TO DOCUMENT YOU ALREADY OWN THE HAM EQUIPMENT WHEN RETURNING TO THE US FOR CUSTOMS. SORRY CAN'T HELP YOU WITH LICENSE AT ST. BARTS.
AH8DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2000, 02:03:36 AM »

In regards to licensing for (FJ) St. Barts.  I have operated from FJ, FG and FS.  These french posessions fall under the CEPT agreement.  The three of them recognize the U.S. participation in the CEPT.  An example for you signing your call would be FJ/AH8DX. Take your U.S. license and a copy of the FCC Public Notice (DA 99-2344).  This document is printed in English, French and German.

Secondly, make a master list of your equipment and include Manuf. of Equipment, serial numbers, and description.  I would not include dollar amounts of each item in case customs wants to look at your list.  Fortunately customs is a piece of cake.  You basically just claim your luggage and you are finished.

Gud Dx es GL, Craig AH8DX

KD4UPJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2000, 10:45:21 AM »

Thanks for your response and information. Am thinking now
of just taking HT for 2 meters.... do you know if there is
any 2 meter activity on/around the islands? Thanks.

Don Moore
KD4UPJ
AH8DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2000, 08:04:04 PM »

Hello Don,

In regards to your question of only taking a 2 mtr HT, there will be repeaters you can hit on FS and VP2E, though I had a 5 watt HT when I was there.

I think you would be doing yourself an injustice if you did not take a small HF rig like the IC-706 or TS-50 with even just a wire antenna and 50' or so of RG8X coax.  Astron makes a 110/220 switchable 30/35 amp supply, very small and very light.  All that I mentioned in this station would fit into your carry-on luggage.  Don't forget your mic. and key! A complete station in a carry-on.

Gud Dx!  Craig Maxey, AH8DX

KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2000, 09:35:20 AM »

Don, don't bring a radio.  Just hang out on the beach.  Bring a good camera and binoculars to St. Barts.  Trust me, you'll see why when you get there.

Oh, yeah.  Bring LOTS of money!  If this isn't the most expensive island in the Caribbean, I don't know what is.

It's also, by far, the nicest.

Steve KZ1X
NP2BT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2000, 01:21:36 PM »

YES, I AGREE. VERY INTERESTING SCENERY ON THE BEACH. VERY EXPENSIVE EVERYTHING ELSE. BRING PILES OF MONEY OR DON'T BOTHER GOING. PREPARE XYL FOR " EUROPEAN STYLE BEACH BATHING", OR LEAVE HER AT HOME. BE PREPARED FOR THE LOCAL ATTITUDE ALSO. BEAUTIFUL BEACHES SEE THEM ALL.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: