Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSL'ing over the Internet?  (Read 3939 times)
KD6UU

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2001, 09:34:16 PM »

Not sure if this is already being done or planned since I've been off the air for a time - but what do others think of QSL'ing over the Internet using a central QSL registry and a program such as Adobe Acrobat to print the cards you receive on your own printer.  You could upload your own custom boilerplate QSL graphics once and then enter your contacts online regularly including a personal message or note (or maybe even in automated fashion from one's compliant logging program). Then, those looking for their received QSL's could log on and see if they have any waiting.  No more IRC's, green stamps, lost cards, waiting, etc. etc. I know, not "real" postmarked QSL's, but instant gratification! Heresy? What do you think? Howard KD6UU
VE3IAY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2001, 03:14:04 AM »

Take a look at http://www.eQSL.cc, which appears to have all of the features you mentioned. However, I believe that the ARRL does not accept QSL cards printed on a home printer for DXCC/WAS credit.
KD6UU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2001, 11:22:08 AM »

Thanks for the info. That site looks exactly like what I had envisioned - including a security code embedded in QSL's. See, no good ideas are left in the world Smiley
 If the ARRL and other Award groups don't accept this, it is a shame - but I can see the politics involved - since the success of a system like this requires that there is only one site, one standard, one overseeing sanctioning body.  Hope someone figures this out - since it seems like it would solve half the problems discussed in this forum, "Who's the QSL Manager for...."
KD6UU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2001, 09:45:24 AM »

In follow-up:  Spoke with Dave Morris N5UP of eQSL and they have over 100,000 hams registered and 1.6 million QSL's online.  I even heard my first DX station who referred contacts to eQSL! What is regretable is that ARRL refuses to discuss qualifying his site.  I am writing to ARRL to encourage them to set up a meeting with Dave.  At the very least, he should serve on a committee to discuss standards.  I hope that others will consider writing in as well. Pioneers are always the ones with arrows in their backs - we hams shouldn't let this happen to Dave. Howard
KE9ZZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2001, 01:56:33 AM »

In addition to writing the ARRL, I encourage every one to use eQSL. No reson not to. If you use a computer logging program, you can just upload the log and you dont have to do any thing else. It is free! Even if you like "real" QSL cards, eQSL can help you get them. You can E-mail some one that sent you an eQSL and ask them to send a QSL via the buro.
W4GJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2001, 03:17:37 PM »

I love your idea! I'm an active DXer (CW) and also a QSL manager for a DX station...It sure would be nice to escape the grasp of the Post Office and get those coveted cards a lot quicker!

Bob W4GJ
W9JCM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2001, 11:20:16 PM »

I think the arrl is getting a bit picky and In my opinion i think they want the bucks for there qsl Bur.
I have wrote these jokers on the subject with no reply. I think this is the way to go its fast and if you want a real card you can buy some good card stock for your printer and whamo you got a card. I am considering not renewing my arrl memebership because of this.
KE9ZZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2001, 09:52:14 PM »

I think that "real" cards can be forged more easily that the eQSL. If enough people register with eQSL and use them , you can get awards directly form eQSL. I consider DXCC form eQSL more valid than form ARRL. They don’t have any awards yet, but they are in the works. They do have a eQSL DXCC ranking  on the web site.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: