The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sitting for Extra Exam Tonight  (Read 9669 times)
W5SRT

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2015, 10:17:25 AM »

Six months into my Ham radio career, and tonight is the night!  Wish me luck :-)

Dan
K1LEM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 12:06:10 PM »

Six months into my Ham radio career, and tonight is the night!  Wish me luck :-)

Dan

How hard could it be. I didn't study the answers and got an 86.
W5SRT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 07:56:07 PM »

KG5EJU /AE

Grin

Dan
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 02:53:38 AM »

Congrats, did you check the box for a new 2 by 2 sequential call sign? .... Along these lines AF5Y?
W5SRT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 07:03:26 AM »

Congrats, did you check the box for a new 2 by 2 sequential call sign? .... Along these lines AF5Y?

Was not aware of that options.  But, I have been thinking about a vanity call sign.  The 1x2's are pretty full up.  I'll check out the 2x2 for sure.

Dan
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 08:23:07 AM »

Was not aware of that options.  But, I have been thinking about a vanity call sign.  The 1x2's are pretty full up.  I'll check out the 2x2 for sure.

Dan

Yeah, it was on form 605, but you can still do it through the online license manager.

It's not a vanity call sign, just a systematically issued call, 2 by 2 for the extra class. No charge.

You can check region 5 here http://www.hamdata.com/fccinfo.html the AF5** is the Extra.
W5SRT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 10:39:03 AM »

Thanks for that.  I tried to do that in the FCC Licensing system, and learned not to request an Extra service before the FCC has the exam results (they would have assigned other 2x3 LOL).  Calling the FCC, they said I could request the VEC to add it to my 605 before it's submitted, and that's what I'll do.

Dan

Dan

Yeah, it was on form 605, but you can still do it through the online license manager.

It's not a vanity call sign, just a systematically issued call, 2 by 2 for the extra class. No charge.

You can check region 5 here http://www.hamdata.com/fccinfo.html the AF5** is the Extra.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 12:19:39 PM »

Excellent, if they do it right, you will get the upgrade and 2 by 2 the same day.

I think they stopped mailing out paper licenses, unless requested, so you might not automatically get one with the new call.  Another setting in the license manager.

I used that Ham Data site to get an idea of where they were at with the calls, the Extra calls are issued way slower, so you can pretty much have an idea of possible calls you may be assigned. The site posts 24 hrs after the FCC.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:21:57 PM by SOFAR » Logged
RETROSONIC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 07:16:39 PM »

Dan:  best of luck to you!  Tonight was my night as well...I passed the Technician exam and became a ham myself!  maybe I'll talk to you on the bands!
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 02:45:54 PM »

Congrads.  You now have an extra 75KHz of bandwidth on 20m, more distance from the lids on, well, you know...  

I kept my original 2x3 call, when I got my extra back in 2000.  Though it can be hard to get it thru crowded HF contest activity.  
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 03:35:57 AM »

I am keeping my original 30 year old call until I'm told I have to give it up. And there better be a good reason for that. Congrats and welcome to the club.

Jaime-KA3NXN
KI4OYV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 06:51:19 AM »

CONGRATS!!! "HOPING" to get my before the end of the year. Extra that is.... Will keep my old call KI4OYV. Too old to remember a new one  Cheesy

Art
W5SRT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 07:47:50 AM »

Thank y'all for the continued responses.

I have been daily practicing my CW, but still not ready for an on-air QSO.  But I'm getting there.

It's neat to keep your originally issued 2x3, and I've become accustomed to kilo-golf-five-echo-Juliet-uniform on SSB.  EJU seems to get noticed OK in pile-ups.  But, it does not tap-out that nicely on CW.  CW a motivating factor for a shorter call sign for sure.

BTW, I didn't get the change in my 605 in time.  The VEC is the ARRL, and they are not adept at changes, or even processing license upgrades.  For example, mine is still not in the FCC database.  Hopefully, it didn't get lost.
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 04:20:41 PM »

Thank y'all for the continued responses.

I have been daily practicing my CW, but still not ready for an on-air QSO.  But I'm getting there.

It's neat to keep your originally issued 2x3, and I've become accustomed to kilo-golf-five-echo-Juliet-uniform on SSB.  EJU seems to get noticed OK in pile-ups.  But, it does not tap-out that nicely on CW.  CW a motivating factor for a shorter call sign for sure.

BTW, I didn't get the change in my 605 in time.  The VEC is the ARRL, and they are not adept at changes, or even processing license upgrades.  For example, mine is still not in the FCC database.  Hopefully, it didn't get lost.

Congratulations!

Don't worry, eventually the FCC will get around to posting your update. You can usually view any progress on the FCC web site. You may want to check with your VEC to make sure everything was submitted.

If you are willing to wait even longer, say 90-120 days before applying for a new call, even a vanity call sign may not cost anything. The FCC is currently looking at dropping the fees for vanity call signs.

As far as CW is concerned, if you know all the characters and can send at 5 to 10 WPM, get on the air. I know far too many people that are stuck in the practice loop, but have never had a CW contact. They stutter now and then, and miss a character on and off, but they send and receive perfectly good CW. It doesn't matter that you don't have every character down pat. 100% copy is not required. And it's far better to send good CW slowly, then it is to send bad CW fast.

I know it's not easy the first time. The first couple of contacts can seem like a disaster. But getting a few CW contacts under you belt will give you confidence. And with confidence you will get better.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
WA2GQO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 12:01:22 PM »

I passed the EXTRA Class in 2012. My xyl was my cheer leader. I am Vietnam vet., 100 percent disabled. I realy thought it was a long shot but I studied three months straight and passed the test on the first try.  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: