The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have Callbooks from 1960-1963 or so?  (Read 7466 times)
KD6UY

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2015, 08:36:19 AM »

I was originally licensed as a teenager back in New York state in the early 60's, but I can't remember which year, and it is bugging the crap out of me.  I think it was either 1960, when I was 12, or 1962 when I was 14.  I do remember my call sign suffix was RSV.  The prefix for Novices back then was either WN2 or WV2 and I can't remember which one I had.  So my Novice call was either WN2RSV or WV2RSV.  I upgraded to technician shortly thereafter and my call was WB2TPR.

Anyone have Callbooks from back in that era and can look up those Novice calls and see if any of them come back to a Bruce Coons in Hudson, NY?  I'd certainly appreciate it.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 02:09:11 PM »

I was originally licensed as a teenager back in New York state in the early 60's, but I can't remember which year, and it is bugging the crap out of me.  I think it was either 1960, when I was 12, or 1962 when I was 14.  I do remember my call sign suffix was RSV.  The prefix for Novices back then was either WN2 or WV2 and I can't remember which one I had.  So my Novice call was either WN2RSV or WV2RSV.  I upgraded to technician shortly thereafter and my call was WB2TPR.

Anyone have Callbooks from back in that era and can look up those Novice calls and see if any of them come back to a Bruce Coons in Hudson, NY?  I'd certainly appreciate it.

WV2RSV was first listed in the Fall 61 book. You just barely missed the Summer issue--the last WV2 was RQZ.
KD6UY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 07:54:55 AM »

WV2RSV was first listed in the Fall 61 book. You just barely missed the Summer issue--the last WV2 was RQZ.

Thank you very much!  And that call was listed to a Bruce Coons in Hudson, NY?

My friend Gary Grossman took the test at the same time I did and his call was WV2RSZ.

It's good to know that I was at least close to the correct year!  Thanks again.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 09:09:03 AM »

My friend Gary Grossman took the test at the same time I did and his call was WV2RSZ.

Gary was my next-door neighbor.  He taught me Morse code, and I became WN2VRW a few years later.  Small world.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 09:53:36 PM »

And that call was listed to a Bruce Coons in Hudson, NY?

Yes.
KD6UY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 09:04:16 AM »

Gary was my next-door neighbor.  He taught me Morse code, and I became WN2VRW a few years later.  Small world.

Small world, indeed, Bobby.  I remember you living next to Gary.  I lived around the corner on Riverledge Road and Gary was my best friend from second grade thru high school.  I still keep in touch with him and help him with some research for his novels.

I went to Clarkson University for my BSEE and spent a 40 year career with the Army in the electronics field.  I was in California (Monterey) 1977-1997. 

I'll tell Gary we contacted each other next time I email him.  he will get a kick out of that.  I am trying to get him to get his license back!

Bruce
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 02:53:39 PM »

On a related note, looking at an old callbook, I found someone in upstate New York had my callsign.  Seems the FCC was recycling callsigns in the mid 70's when I first got licensed, as a tech (novice code, general written).  A few years before, my father (SK) got his advanced, and was assigned WB2JIA. 

Someone back in college said the reason the FCC didn't want to issue WC calls (think they were getting close to running out of WB calls) was that they didn't want to hear the phonetics "Water Closet 2,...".   Grin
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 06:43:28 AM »

Someone back in college said the reason the FCC didn't want to issue WC calls (think they were getting close to running out of WB calls) was that they didn't want to hear the phonetics "Water Closet 2,...".   Grin

i guess that was a joke -- I always thought it was because Antarctica was KC4AAA  Huh http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_call_signs_of_Antarctica
They skipped WC9 in late 1976 or early 1977 when the 9 district had issued all the WB9's...

Yet they did give me a KC9 2x2 call a few years later when I returned to 9 land and requested a 2x2 given that I held the Advanced so maybe the Antarctica block theory is incorrect ...  Huh

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 08:45:01 AM »

For a while (70's?) WC calls were used for RACES stations. http://www.arrl.org/chapter-4-ares-and-races
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 02:39:38 AM »

Anyone feel like scanning the cover of Winter 1969 and sending it to me? Might help me get grandfathered into an Extra next month. Tnx.

Steve
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 05:39:19 AM »

I'll send you something before you need it.
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 06:53:31 AM »

I'll send you something before you need it.

Thanks - I sent you a PM with my email. I'll need it by July 25.

Tnx
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: