The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: resources for teaching kids ham radio  (Read 6319 times)
NE4U

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2015, 06:44:29 AM »

My son (who is nearly 7 years old and will start 2nd grade this fall) is interested in possibly becoming licensed. I remember when I was licensed (in 1999) I picked up a copy of "Now You're Talking", which was a good resource for the basic Technician class exam. I see that the ARRL is no longer producing that book. What is the best resource for new hams these days?

I have to say that I loved the way that "Now You're Talking" gave things to the reader in a story format which made sense. I don't want him to just memorize the questions and answers to pass the exam.

Thanks.
-john W4PAH
Madison, WI
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 08:12:34 AM »

The best resource is the question pool and a search engine. .... Anyone with a true interest in radio will look up the subjects that they don't understand. After hearing the term 'side band' for years, studying for the General was the impetus to truly learning it's history and function. .... Seems that some people want to turn a simple exam into a major undertaking. Let him pass the first one and get practical knowledge, then he can move up the ranks if so inclined. Don't kill his spark.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 11:25:24 AM »

ARRL used to publish a coloring-book-style license manual for kids, called "Ride the Airwaves with Alfa and Zulu." It's out of print now, but I just noticed a copy on eBay this morning, and Amazon has a number of third-party sellers with used copies. (The lowest-priced Amazon seller is also the eBay seller.) Although the details of the license test have changed in the ~15 years since the book was published, the general content is the same. And a 7-year-old may resonate (pun intended) more with the coloring book style than with other methods more suited to older kids (of all ages), including "Now You're Talking."

Note that there were two editions of "Alfa and Zulu." The slightly-older (1995) version was "Riding", and the newer one (1998-2000) was "Ride." Neither is current since the question pools have changed, but for your purposes either would be good.
KA2ODP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 08:25:44 PM »

The ARRL "Now You're Talking" book series was replaced by the "Ham Radio License Manual, Level 1: Technician".  It is ARRL publication No. 222 and sells for $29.95 on the ARRL web site.

It has all the information you need to study for the Technician license exam.  In the back is a handy supplement entitled "Chosing a Ham Radio.  Your guide to selecting the right equipment".  It is full of good reference material, so don't toss it once you have passed the test!

The cover clearly states that it is for use 1 July 2014 to 30 June 2018 (when the next Technician question pool change will happen).  You might find a copy at a Barnes & Noble store, but make sure it is the new 2014 edition, not the previous edition which is now obsolete.  Don't pay full price for an outdated study manual!

The "Now You're Talking" book series was a combination study manual for the Novice and Technician licenses.  Now that the Novice license is no longer issued, the book was redesigned to focus on the Technician license.
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 11:11:57 AM »

Go to the local Boy Scouts of America and pick up the radio merit badge book. I use it to get kids interested in radio, they get the badge, and 3 out of the last 6 that I taught got their license. Even if your son is not in scouts, the book is really good and a fun lesson plane is laid out in chapters and you don't even know its a lesson.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: