Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Major DX operations with online logs  (Read 2125 times)
WA9PIE

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2001, 01:09:39 AM »

It seems to me that we could save quite a lot of QRM if it were easier for major DX operations to get their logs online.

A lot of us tend to work some stations using "ESP" (when you can't tell if they really were calling you, you're not sure if they QSL the 599 signal report you're gonna give them regardless...).

When this happens, it must be that we continue to try to call these stations on a band/mode we've already worked them on.  Therefore, making it easier to get the logs online would enable us to check the status of our QSO so that we don't QRM the frequency looking for a contact that we don't really need (although some of us just can't resist the urge to call 3Y0C and tell Chuck that it's nice to work him for the 10th time on 20 SSB; meanwhile the lil' guns can't get heard).

...by the way, does anyone know if BQ9P (2001) has online logs so I can stop calling him on 20m CW?

73 de Mike, WA9PIE
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2001, 05:37:26 AM »

Maybe you should refrain from calling "ESP" stations.  If you didn't clearly hear the DX respond to you with your call and report, then you didn't have a valid QSO.  KH2D once said "DX'ing has been reduced to finding a station on the Packet Cluster, shouting for an hour, then looking up the online log to see if you have to shout for another hour."  I thought Jim was exaggerating, but I see now that he was dead on.
WA9PIE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2001, 12:22:54 PM »

Okay, then lemme ask you this...

If your microwave isn't heating your food properly, it's only because we're too lazy to use the stove?  If we're not happy with the stove, it's only because we're too lazy to build a campfire?

If your washing machine/dryer are doing the job, then it's only because we're too lazy to wash clothes by hand and hang them on the line?

How far back in technology do we really need to go to satisfy the "old-timers" (I've been at it since '74)?  Should we get rid of computers in the shack (logging programs, rig control, packet cluster...)?  Do we get rid of VFOs and go back to crystal rigs?  How 'bout spark-gap?  Wouldn't that be fun?

I'm only suggesting that we could reduce the amount of QRM out there by getting logs online and that we all agree not to try to work 'em if:

- we can't hear 'em, or
- we don't need 'em

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2001, 12:49:56 PM »

I tend to concurr with K0RS's assessment - you really SHOULDN'T call a station that you can't be reasonably sure you'll hear. As you say, your goal is to reduce QRM - but isn't it just as likely (if not more so) that QRM is being generated because stations are continuosly calling the DX that could never possibly know whether or not they're being answered?  

I agree with you that on-line logs are a nice thing for a DXpedition to have, but they do require a lot of work to maintain and are a luxury that not all DXpeditions can afford. In the case of 3Y0C, which really shouldn't be classified as a DXpedition, that option simply wasn't available. Chuck had his hands full as it was just keeping the station operatinal.

K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2001, 09:59:48 PM »

After someone else finds the DX, spots him on the Cluster, the Cluster and loggng software filter your needs, plug the frequency(ies) into your radio, rings an alarm to alert you from your spot in front of the Boob tube, turns your rotor for you (you don't even need know where the DX is!), then do you want me to "standby" for you too, while you push the button on your DVK repeatedly, because I've already worked it on another band?  I hear welfare checks are direct deposit now.  Technology is simply wonderful.  Hey, I hear the new DDXCC award is going to be availble in a special "level 2" editon featuring an attractive clear, hollow, plastic tube.  ARRL spokesman Marrti Lame, OH2BS (one dit short of a new "entity") said, "We feel the 3 distnctive features of the award-- transparent, hollow, and plastic-- eloquently symbolize the level of operator invovlement in our new program.  The tube will be artfully engraved with a Radio Shack soldering iron with the station's callsign and operator's name ("WA9PIE, operator--Pentium III", for example).  Cost of the award is pending, but we anticipate that for an additional "donation" to the ARRL's lobbying fund the entity total can be reduced to modest and easily achieved 50."

Hell, no, I don't think we should go back to washing our clothes on a rock.  As a matter of fact , I think we oughta let people who run marathons ride motorcycles.  After all, we have the technology.  And football players should take steriods.  And folks who play chess should be able to consult a computer before making a move.  The point isn't anti-technology.  If I were anti-tech, I wouldn't be participating in an online forum.   The point is:  High jumping isn't high jumping if you just run under the bar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: