The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I passed!!!  (Read 9876 times)
RETROSONIC

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2015, 07:13:44 PM »

Roll Eyes

I'm a happy guy tonight.  Just got back from the testing center, where tonight, I passed the test for my Technicians license!!  Got a 91%.

This is a big deal to me because this is something that I have wanted to do since 1975, thats 40 years ago, and tonight I finally did it!! I'm in Manhattan, NYC.

I still have the book I got in 1975 "So You Want To Be a Ham" by Robert Hertberg. W2DJJ.....I always dreamed of the day when I'd be a licensed ham myself. That day is To-day!  Cheesy

I'll be studying for my general in the next few months, but I'm REALLY excited that in about 10 days my call sign should show up on the FCC website.

I feel pretty good about myself tonight and wanted to share this feeling with all of you!
K6BBB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 10:02:42 PM »

Congratulations!  The General exam was not that much harder for me. Study, relax and study some more then go pass the General test! Cool

Rob
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 10:41:46 PM »

Congratulations on passing the test. I took my test in New York in 1954, being a ham is a great hobby. Like someone said the general is not that much harder then the tech, you should have no trouble passing it after a few study sessions.

73s

K2OWK
RETROSONIC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 05:14:55 AM »

Thanks guys!  While I will be studying for my general for sure, right now I'm looking forward to getting my call sign, then making my first contact. Because I live in an apt building, its pretty much UHF and VHF for me. Any recos on what radio I should buy?   Thanks!
W5SRT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 07:25:38 AM »

Congratulations!  You're going to enjoy the hobby, there are just tons of aspects that are fascinating, and always challenging.

Please strive to be a first-class radio operator.

Cheers

- Dan
K6BBB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 10:37:44 AM »

Thanks guys!  While I will be studying for my general for sure, right now I'm looking forward to getting my call sign, then making my first contact. Because I live in an apt building, its pretty much UHF and VHF for me. Any recos on what radio I should buy?   Thanks!

Recommendation #1: Don't rush out and buy the first radio you hear about! Read forums, publications, and articles, talk to Elmers and other hams; listen and read. 10 hams in a room, expect 10 opinions.

#2: It's okay to buy a "starter" radio, just be sure it's of good quality so it can be a backup or secondary radio for later. If you can honestly afford a first-class rig to start, RESEARCH a lot more before you buy.

#3: You have to decide what you want to do with your ham privileges - voice, CW, data, QRP, DX; there's time to plan.

Assumption - Because you are a tech, you can operate voice on 10 meters and above. For your situation (local area) what do you have available for repeaters: 2m, 1.25m, 70cm, 6m, etc.? Do you want to start with a modest HF rig so you can do a little DXing, CW any band allowed, VHF/UHF only for a while?

You're off to the right start by ASKING right here.

As Dan KG5EJU stated, be a first-class operator!

Good luck!
K6BBB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 10:42:18 AM »

Many apartment-dwelling hams seem to do all right on HF with creative antenna installations. Think loops and small dipoles.

Rob
RETROSONIC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 06:41:02 PM »

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. I am going to do alot of research to see what the best radio for me to buy for my base station, but in the meantime, I'm going to get a small HT just to get me going. I've done some repeater research and found that there are a bunch of them here in the NYC area, so thats a good sign.

And the antenna part of this is a separate mission,   I need to find a way to construct an effective indoor antenna as well. But I know it can be done!!  

By the way, I'm going to get QSL cards printed up, does anyone have a good place to get those made?  Thanks!
KI4OYV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 06:52:58 AM »

CONGRATS!! Welcome to the club!!    Cheesy

KI4OYV
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 08:08:41 AM »

Congratulations sir!!!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 04:49:07 AM »

Thanks guys!  While I will be studying for my general for sure, right now I'm looking forward to getting my call sign, then making my first contact. Because I live in an apt building, its pretty much UHF and VHF for me. Any recos on what radio I should buy?   Thanks!
#3: You have to decide what you want to do with your ham privileges - voice, CW, data, QRP, DX; there's time to plan.

First of all, congratulations!

You don't have to make any decisions about anything! You are too new to know what you want and that is actually one of the great things about amateur radio... it is open to a wide variety of options and you don't have to pick just one. I have been licensed almost 25 years and there are still many aspects of the hobby that I haven't tried... yet!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 07:00:41 AM by N0IU » Logged
K6BBB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »

Thanks guys!  While I will be studying for my general for sure, right now I'm looking forward to getting my call sign, then making my first contact. Because I live in an apt building, its pretty much UHF and VHF for me. Any recos on what radio I should buy?   Thanks!

First of all, congratulations!

You don't have to make any decisions about anything! You are too new to know what you want and that is actually one of the great things about amateur radio... it is open to a wide variety of options and you don't have to pick just one. I have been licensed almost 25 years and there are still many aspects of the hobby that I haven't tried... yet!

That's why I said at the end "there's time to plan." I have found that a plan, or if you prefer, a look down the road, often works well for me. True, his interests and involvement will hopefully develop as he gains knowledge and experience.

The point of my entire post (and follow up) was not to limit himself to VHF/UHF because he lives in a NYC apartment. Maybe I should have said was, "ask yourself what sounds interesting to you, CW, data, DXing, etc."

An HT with an external antenna is a good start for first contacts.
RETROSONIC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 10:02:43 PM »

Thanks guys!

I have decided on the Baofeng GT-3TP Ht as a first radio.

I'd like to get an external antenna that I could mount in the window tho. Does anyone have any recommendations on an external antenna?

Many thanks
KG7OOM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 10:30:52 AM »

Congrats! I still remember that feeling Smiley

Rob
KK4LGR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 07:29:14 PM »

Lots of bang for your buck with a Baofeng.

For a window mount antenna, you can't go wrong with a twin lead J-pole.  Lots are available on eBay, or you can build your own with some pretty inexpensive materials.  I hang mine from a 3m sticky hook, works great as a little apartment rig.

"Well I'm sure glad we've got these ham radios to talk on."
--Unidentified station heard on 2 meters
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: