The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Win 10 or Linux Mint  (Read 20080 times)
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2015, 04:23:13 AM »

KK4GGL took it hook, line, and sinker -as he does every time.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2015, 04:27:26 AM »

Large Desktop Linux users . . .

1) Google uses Goobuntu, a "google-zed" version of Ubuntu.
2) ISS International Space Station, onboard laptops use Debian.
3) French Military Police
4) US DOD - A bootable CD or Thumb drive allowing the use of any computer to boot and securely access DOD resources.
5) CERN - Over 3000 Linux Desktops

So there are some examples. Google it and find the link if you want verification or more info. These references are all desktop, NOT server.

Do I use Linux Desktop? Nope! I use Windows and a Mac for personal computing.

There is merit to using Linux but it all depends on the applications you need to run.

K5UNX is a smart guy.  He will not be put on ignore like I do with the rest of the Linux Looneytunes here.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2015, 10:15:11 AM »

Do I use Linux Desktop? Nope! I use Windows and a Mac for personal computing.

I have a Mac (actually, it's my girlfriend's but she hates it).  Apple is a joke, and I have no use for OSX.  Haven't had a Windows machine in the house in years.  No need for one.

There is merit to using Linux but it all depends on the applications you need to run. 

100% correct.  File formats should also be compatible as well, so my Linux or Mac box can read files created on Windows machines, and vice versa.

At work (before I retired), I used both Windows and Linux, as do the company's phone systems products.  Some software, including most of the company's client software products, were available only for Windows on the desktop, so obviously I had to use my Windows PC for those. 

But many of the test programs I used were available only for Linux, or if they ran on both, ran more efficiently in Linux.  And since every program I wrote for our lab was in Python or Perl, they ran on both.

At home, I use programs that are available on Windows, Mac, and Linux.  It doesn't matter what machine I use.  I don't like Microsoft Office, although I have it installed on the Mac and have used it for over 20 years, going back to version 2.0 on Win3.1.

And as far as ham software goes, is there anything on Windows that I can't find a version or an equivalent for on Mac or Linux?  I can't think of anything.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in JT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2015, 11:29:30 PM »

And as far as ham software goes, is there anything on Windows that I can't find a version or an equivalent for on Mac or Linux?  I can't think of anything.

N1MM pgm

. . . and I don't think there's an equivalent to EZNEC in terms of ease of use, unfortunately.
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2015, 07:34:41 AM »

N1MM pgm
. . . and I don't think there's an equivalent to EZNEC in terms of ease of use, unfortunately.

N1MM is easily replaced on OS X with SkookumLogger.  There's not a single feature of N1MM that I miss with SL. 

EZNEC can be replaced with cocoaNEC.

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
CWK

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2015, 02:03:30 PM »

Forget what these backwards bozos tell you about Linux.  Linux is inferior to Windows 10.  Choose Windows 10.

Yes because windows runs the backbone of what we call the internet. If you look closely you'll see Redmond runs Red Hat on their web servers as well as the dev teams etc...
Those silly backwards bozos have no problem running linux during the development of Microsoft products. I have worked with some of them.

The OP was not asking about running a server. 

The Dev teams (Thats development teams) don't run servers. The cats in networking do not run servers. I didn't run servers although I did babysit from time to time. Quit trolling and help the OP out if you can and stop trying to turn this into a penis war. Both have strong and not so strong points.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2015, 04:00:47 PM »

Forget what these backwards bozos tell you about Linux.  Linux is inferior to Windows 10.  Choose Windows 10.

Yes because windows runs the backbone of what we call the internet. If you look closely you'll see Redmond runs Red Hat on their web servers as well as the dev teams etc...
Those silly backwards bozos have no problem running linux during the development of Microsoft products. I have worked with some of them.

The Dev teams (Thats development teams) don't run servers. The cats in networking do not run servers. I didn't run servers although I did babysit from time to time. Quit trolling and help the OP out if you can and stop trying to turn this into a penis war. Both have strong and not so strong points.

If you'd bother to read, I did answer the OPs question.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2015, 05:01:26 PM »

If you'd bother to read, I did answer the OPs question.

No you didn't, you just baited everybody with an inane statement with (despite being asked) nothing to explain your view.

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2015, 06:40:56 PM »

You could dual boot on your computer.

+1

That's how my primary machine is configured.  A reboot takes less than a minute and is a minor inconvenience when I want to switch to the other OS.  I'll recommend Linux Mint 17.1 / KDE as a good choice for a low hassle install that's useable from the first boot.  Stick with KDE 4 for now as KDE 5 is still new enough to be at the hairy end of the development cycle (IMHO).  Nothing wrong with Gnome / Mate / Cinnamon / XFCE / Etc. as a desktop (and they do have advantages in reduced processor overhead) but to my eyes KDE has a more polished look & feel.

Click here for more:     http://linuxmint.com/

The end of the world will occur on April 23, 2018 ( the day after Earth Day. Go Figure ).  If you're reading this on April 24th look for updates coming soon.  If you're reading this after June first, fuhgedaboudit.....
N0XAX

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2015, 10:42:31 AM »

To the OP:

Anyone who suggests Linux is better than Windows 10, you should put on ignore.   I have.

Windows 10 = +10

Linux (any distro) = -1

The Linux Zealots on here = idiots

You have yet to give any technical reasons as to why Linux is inferior to Windows?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:44:45 AM by N0XAX » Logged
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2015, 02:03:08 PM »

To the OP:

Anyone who suggests Linux is better than Windows 10, you should put on ignore.   I have.

Windows 10 = +10

Linux (any distro) = -1

The Linux Zealots on here = idiots

You have yet to give any technical reasons as to why Linux is inferior to Windows?

I am still hooking suckers, I see.  How many of you guys here have aspergers?
N0XAX

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2015, 02:17:58 PM »

To the OP of this thread. As most have stated here, you can run Windows 10 on a VM or as you stated, run two machines. I run two machines, one with XP (yes it still works fine) for my HRD, and Mint LInux 17.1 LTS for my other applications that require Linux. This setup works very well for me.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2015, 02:53:26 PM »

I am still hooking suckers, I see.  How many of you guys here have aspergers?

Why do you enjoy pissing people off?

Rick KK4GGL
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: