The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That Windows 10 icon in the task bar ???  (Read 15643 times)
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 04:47:38 AM »

Why is it free?

Why is MS giving away Windows 10?

Microsoft is giving it away and you guys are questioning the reason behind it? It is free! Why can't you just go with it? Some people would complain if they were being hanged with a new rope!
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 06:35:39 AM »

I think that people are looking for an ulterior motive behind the free offering of Win10.
It is mistrust of a large and powerful corporation.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 06:39:43 AM »

So just go with one of the many distros of Linux or even give up the PC and go with OS X if you hate or distrust Microsoft that much! All I need to know is that they are offering it for free and I will be installing it on every machine in the house that is eligible.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 08:24:17 AM »

Yes...  But we are all missing the real question...  Why is it free?  M$ gives nothing away...  Period!  Why free?

Why does Apple give away its OS for free?

Because they make their money on the hardware?? 
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 11:21:18 AM »

just take the thing out:

How to remove the Windows 10 GWX upgrade nonsense
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-7-to-10-gwx-how-to-remove.html
AE5NE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 09:31:07 PM »

They're giving it away so they can be the middle-man on all the App and Music and TV purchases made through the Windows Store.  They missed the boat on this one while Apple and Google are raking in 40% of every app purchase.

As long as people are stuck on XP/7, they will never have the momentum. They NEED the Windows Store on 100 million PCs, and "the developers will come". At this point, that's more important than the retail-box sales of Windows.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 02:15:59 AM »

So you can get rid of the "Windows store" in 10? Or is that something that is required to run the OS? If that is the case I won't be upgrading my Windows 7 to 10 anytime soon!

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 06:42:17 AM »

So what if there is a Windows "store" in Win 10. You don't have to use it or even look at it.

MS has to change the way they do business or they will die. It's simple really.  It may not look like it now, but look at all the "cloud" activity out there. Most people could use an android tablet or an iPad, with a bluetooth keyboard, and do most everything they need to . . . I say most but that includes most of the normal population. I don't think "technical" people are included, ham radio people and computer geeks for example probably not.

My mom uses an iPad and it has become her only "computer". My Dad uses his iPad for 95% of his computing, he needs Windows for a couple things.

Apple, Android and mobile computing are changing the computing landscape and if MS would stick to their old model of business, they would slowly die as the world passed them up.

For those that bitch about new operating systems, stick with XP . . . Or Win 7. It doesn't matter as long as you are able to do that you want. I am not one that says you need to be on the latest and greatest. You just need to be on whatever version gets the job done. But that said, things are changing and they won't stop for a small minority.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 06:58:05 AM »

So you can get rid of the "Windows store" in 10? Or is that something that is required to run the OS? If that is the case I won't be upgrading my Windows 7 to 10 anytime soon!

I'm sure that two things will happen.  First, the more inventive computer hackers out there will find work-arounds to either defeat the purposes of the "windows store" or its Microsoft intended use or simply to render it's data gathering uses ineffective.  Those 'fixes' will find their way to the web and to the users of the new OS just as ways have been found and published to defeat other data gathering systems which program providers have hidden in their software.

Or second, Microsoft itself will, if sufficient public pressure is brought to bear, provide a way to do it themselves--but probably only after the Win 10 giveaway is concluded.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 09:03:20 AM »

So what if there is a Windows "store" in Win 10. You don't have to use it or even look at it.

The issue isn't a Microsoft/Windows store, as long as the 'feature' can be turned off or blocked. The issue would be if that Microsoft/Windows store generated popup ads or 'banner advertisements'  every 1/2 hour regardless if you blocked the store or had it turned it off. Face it, it would suck if a pop ad happened while doing a presentation for clients. Or using PSK31 and an ad for Windows 365 interrupts the QSO.

Is there a requirement to register one's name, phone number and address as a condition for the free Windows 10 upgrade? Are they going to require it later on if you bought a computer with 10 on it. Or maybe a requirement to leave a credit card number on file with Microsoft?  If there is, what is Microsoft doing with your personal information?

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 09:07:38 AM »

The issue isn't a Microsoft/Windows store, as long as the 'feature' can be turned off or blocked. The issue would be if that Microsoft/Windows store generated popup ads or 'banner advertisements'  every 1/2 hour regardless if you blocked the store or had it turned it off. Face it, it would suck if a pop ad happened while doing a presentation for clients. Or using PSK31 and an ad for Windows 365 interrupts the QSO.

Is there a requirement to register one's name, phone number and address as a condition for the free Windows 10 upgrade? Are they going to require it later on if you bought a computer with 10 on it. Or maybe a requirement to leave a credit card number on file with Microsoft?  If there is, what is Microsoft doing with your personal information?

The Windows store is on my 8,1 work laptop. I have nothing registered with the "store". I have never started it up and looked at it. No ads, no popups, no nothing. I have not turned it off nor done anything to disable it. I don't see that changing with Win 10.

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 11:57:39 AM »

The Windows store is on my 8,1 work laptop. I have nothing registered with the "store". I have never started it up and looked at it. No ads, no popups, no nothing. I have not turned it off nor done anything to disable it. I don't see that changing with Win 10.

Good to know, thanks

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 07:07:31 PM »

Same thing with me.  I've got the icon on my taskbar on my Win 7 installation.  Nothing is coming up at all, no unwelcome interruptions.

BUT.....

When you get that icon installed, your computer general configuration info (no, no personal info) and the Windows product key that you're using IS registered with Microsoft.  It's done to supposedly insure that your system is running a genuine copy of Windows 7/8/8.1 and is capable of running Windows 10.

Microsoft states quite plainly that it is downloading parts of the Windows 10 installer between the time you sign up and July 29, and that when July 29 comes around, Microsoft says that all you will see is a notification that you can now install the new OS.

So they know it's you (indirectly) since you registered when you installed/activated your present Windows OS, you sent them your personal info.  Unless, of course you sent them false info..  ;-)
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2015, 07:46:09 PM »

Same thing with me.  I've got the icon on my taskbar on my Win 7 installation.  Nothing is coming up at all, no unwelcome interruptions.

BUT.....

When you get that icon installed, your computer general configuration info (no, no personal info) and the Windows product key that you're using IS registered with Microsoft.  It's done to supposedly insure that your system is running a genuine copy of Windows 7/8/8.1 and is capable of running Windows 10.

Microsoft states quite plainly that it is downloading parts of the Windows 10 installer between the time you sign up and July 29, and that when July 29 comes around, Microsoft says that all you will see is a notification that you can now install the new OS.

So they know it's you (indirectly) since you registered when you installed/activated your present Windows OS, you sent them your personal info.  Unless, of course you sent them false info..  ;-)

That's not really any different than the check that windows 7 does to verify it's genuine. That didn't start with the Win 10 icon, it started long ago.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 05:48:26 PM »

BUT.....

That's not really any different than the check that windows 7 does to verify it's genuine. That didn't start with the Win 10 icon, it started long ago.

Yes, I know that.  The point was what info is sent to Microsoft to reserve a copy of the Windows 10 installation upgrade.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: