The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That Windows 10 icon in the task bar ???  (Read 15640 times)
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 06:05:31 PM »

Same thing with me.  I've got the icon on my taskbar on my Win 7 installation.  Nothing is coming up at all, no unwelcome interruptions.

BUT.....

When you get that icon installed, your computer general configuration info (no, no personal info) and the Windows product key that you're using IS registered with Microsoft.  It's done to supposedly insure that your system is running a genuine copy of Windows 7/8/8.1 and is capable of running Windows 10.

Microsoft states quite plainly that it is downloading parts of the Windows 10 installer between the time you sign up and July 29, and that when July 29 comes around, Microsoft says that all you will see is a notification that you can now install the new OS.

So they know it's you (indirectly) since you registered when you installed/activated your present Windows OS, you sent them your personal info.  Unless, of course you sent them false info..  ;-)

That's not really any different than the check that windows 7 does to verify it's genuine. That didn't start with the Win 10 icon, it started long ago.

Yes, I know that.  The point was what info is sent to Microsoft to reserve a copy of the Windows 10 installation upgrade.

And my point is, nothing they don't already have if you are using a legal copy of Windows.

K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 09:16:20 PM »

They're giving it away so they can be the middle-man on all the App and Music and TV purchases made through the Windows Store.  They missed the boat on this one while Apple and Google are raking in 40% of every app purchase.

As long as people are stuck on XP/7, they will never have the momentum. They NEED the Windows Store on 100 million PCs, and "the developers will come". At this point, that's more important than the retail-box sales of Windows.

People who are "stuck" on XP don't have any "Free" MS offers to upgrade to Win 10.  That is something they should seriously reconsider, if they are serious. 

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2015, 06:21:35 AM »

I have an 8086 computer that runs only DOS. Should MS give me WIN 10 for that too? And if your equipment is that old, do you really expect WIN 10 to easily run on it? Or have enough room on the hard drive to install it?

While many that use XP do so because they like it, do you really expect that they will change to WIN 10?

I signed up for the download. Does not mean I have to install it right away or at all. And I own on CD my WIN 7. So if all else fails, I have an easy way to go back to what I had.

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 06:25:00 AM »

They're giving it away so they can be the middle-man on all the App and Music and TV purchases made through the Windows Store.  They missed the boat on this one while Apple and Google are raking in 40% of every app purchase.

As long as people are stuck on XP/7, they will never have the momentum. They NEED the Windows Store on 100 million PCs, and "the developers will come". At this point, that's more important than the retail-box sales of Windows.

People who are "stuck" on XP don't have any "Free" MS offers to upgrade to Win 10.  That is something they should seriously reconsider, if they are serious. 

XP machines may not be Win7, 8 or 10 capable due to hardware being old and therefore slower.  As long as XP is doing what they need and they understand the update/support issues then they should be able to continue using it.

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 06:28:03 AM »

If I remember right, there is no "upgrade route" from XP to (certainly) 7 maybe Vista?
The XP kernal is a version of NT5 while Vista and later are NT6 variants.
Of course there are ways around the problem (load on a different partition)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 06:32:08 AM by G8YMW » Logged

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2015, 12:34:04 PM »

I have an 8086 computer that runs only DOS. Should MS give me WIN 10 for that too? And if your equipment is that old, do you really expect WIN 10 to easily run on it? Or have enough room on the hard drive to install it?

While many that use XP do so because they like it, do you really expect that they will change to WIN 10?

I signed up for the download. Does not mean I have to install it right away or at all. And I own on CD my WIN 7. So if all else fails, I have an easy way to go back to what I had.

My computers are able to run Win 7. I never said they were old. Regardless, what does that have to do with MS giving away Windows 10?  If Win 7 and Win 8 users are happy, why would MS should give away Win 10? I don't understand your arguments.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2015, 08:14:48 PM »

My computers are able to run Win 7. I never said they were old. Regardless, what does that have to do with MS giving away Windows 10?  If Win 7 and Win 8 users are happy, why would MS should give away Win 10? I don't understand your arguments.

Well for one thing, I was not commenting on the merits of MS giving it away. My comment comes from the fact that many people who are running XP are not running hardware that will work very well with WIN 10. Like my DOS machine. Which is why MS decided to go back only so far with the free upgrade.

And that is where you seem to think people are "stuck" with XP. G8YMW explained the technical reason. I disagree that anyone is stuck. That is all. Everyone make choices. Some come back and bite. But they have had years to upgrade, and didn't. So now it will mean they have to pay to upgrade, or upgrade the hardware with WIN 10 installed when it is available. So I disagree that MS needs to include XP users for the free stuff.

I also said there are people running XP because they like it. And that makes me question if they would take WIN 10 even if it is offered to them free. They will probably stay with XP.

As for newer hardware and using XP, if that's what you like, use it. If you want to upgrade, you will have to pay for it. Just like the rest of us did with WIN 7 or 8 or 8.X. And MS is trying to get those people who did upgrade from XP to Win 7, 8, 8.x to upgrade to WIN 10 by giving it away. A rather simple thing. Both technically and marketing wise.

But again it is your choice. Like I said, I am going to let it download, but I have not decided if I am going to install it or not. Only time will tell.

K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2015, 09:55:23 PM »

You must have me confused with someone else Grin

Most of my machines, except for one running Vista, are XP.  I have no problems with XP, and in fact a lot of the programs I use won't run on Win 10.  XP has been very stable and does what I need.

But, if security is going to be an issue in the future, I wouldn't mind having the machines that are tied to internet running later software.

Pete
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2015, 03:21:19 AM »

"If I remember right, there is no "upgrade route" from XP to (certainly) 7 maybe Vista?
The XP kernal is a version of NT5 while Vista and later are NT6 variants.
Of course there are ways around the problem (load on a different partition)

People who are "stuck" on XP don't have any "Free" MS offers to upgrade to Win 10.  That is something they should seriously reconsider, if they are serious. "

the main issue is for those who are stuck on VISTA   Shocked
- they will have to BUY their Upgrade. ..
and this OP knows several such OPs.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2015, 04:03:53 AM »

the main issue is for those who are stuck on VISTA   Shocked
- they will have to BUY their Upgrade. ..
and this OP knows several such OPs.

Vista is good till April 2017, I guess I'll throw Linux on it after that date.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2015, 04:11:09 AM »

You must have me confused with someone else Grin

Most of my machines, except for one running Vista, are XP.  I have no problems with XP, and in fact a lot of the programs I use won't run on Win 10.  XP has been very stable and does what I need.

But, if security is going to be an issue in the future, I wouldn't mind having the machines that are tied to internet running later software.

Pete

If you say so. But I inserted the quote from you which triggered my response. Now whether you agree with it or not is up to you. Like I said (twice now), the choice is yours to make.

And if your really happy with XP, and you plan to continue, by your own choice, you are not really stuck, which is where part of my response is most directly derived. And the points as to why XP is not included are derived from the part where you say MS should rethink the cutoff to include XP. That's is it in a nutshell. Not a whole lot of difference from what others have said.

Have fun!

K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2015, 06:28:30 AM »

It easy to get a wrong opinion based on one comment in post... but I have defended the use of XP in the past for folks who are happy with the system. But, if there are going to be security concerns because of MS not providing further support, it might make sense to use a more updated OS for internet browsing.

Pete
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2015, 08:44:40 AM »

It easy to get a wrong opinion based on one comment in post... but I have defended the use of XP in the past for folks who are happy with the system. But, if there are going to be security concerns because of MS not providing further support, it might make sense to use a more updated OS for internet browsing.

Pete

OK Pete. Your post is what it is. And I never disparaged anyone for continuing to use XP. And if you think my responses do that, then it is you who is getting things confused. I simply rebutted 2 points you made in your post. That's it, that's all.

But it seems you feel the need to make it personal. First you say I am confused (until I copied your words), then you say I draw the wrong opinion. Then you should use better phrasing and terminology to prevent a wrong opinion. They were your words I rebutted!

So be it. If you can't handle someone rebutting your comments, maybe you should not make them. Or you just picked me to argue with when others said the same thing and you don't call them confused or getting a wrong opinion.

Good luck. Your now wasting my time and the readers time.

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2015, 08:46:21 AM »

Geez . . go talk on the radio or something! Smiley

K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2015, 09:20:51 AM »

You obviously have a problem with life. Get over it.

You've accused me of saying things I never said. And besides, MS shows my machines are quite able to handle any upgrades.  So, what is YOUR problem?  

Pot, kettle black?   :  So be it. If you can't handle someone rebutting your comments, maybe you should not make them. Or you just picked me to argue with when others said the same thing and you don't call them confused or getting a wrong opinion 

Obviously you can't handle a rebuttal, even when presented in calm and polite manner?  Pretty lame, dude.

Pete
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 09:23:25 AM by K1ZJH » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: