Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX callsigns / QSL route queries  (Read 1713 times)
N3WSH

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2002, 02:21:00 PM »

I've recently returned to the hobby, and I'm enjoying  20 meter QRP CW DX QSOs a whole bunch. I've sent SASEs to my region's buo, and to the FISTS buro, and I sent a stack of QSLs via the ARRL outgoing buro, hoping to get some back. Last night, I worked PJ4/W9NJY. I'm not sure, but I suppose that when a ham from some country operates on a more or less temporary basis in another country, they give their call this way. I thought it would be more usual to have it be W9NJY/PJ4, so has that changed, or am I confused? Then, how do I QSL? Direct to the stateside address for this operator?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2002, 04:21:40 PM »

The PJ4/callsign is the norm nowadays.  Reason is, this gives the country/entity _first_, rather than second, to identify the location of the operator first.  The practice is established by the country from which the operation is taking place, however, and may vary.

Normally, a "portable" station's QSL route would be directly to that station's primary address, but not always.  Many contest operations and DXpeditions have specific QSL routes which have nothing to do with their home station address, and many have QSL managers.  It is always best to simply ask "QSL HW?" during the course of the contact, and get a reply.

Major operations usually have a website, and many have their entire log posted on the internet so you can look yourself up and assure that you're in their log, prior to wasting postage, IRCs, etc.  If you do a search using one of the major search engines such as Google, just type the callsign you're looking for and see if it comes up with a site.

73 de Steve, WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: