Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not in Log  (Read 1353 times)
KC7MAW

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2002, 12:25:02 AM »

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Just got my QSL card returned from 5U4R DXpedition.  Very disappointing after hours in the pile-up and over 2 months in wait for QSL............

We worked but the OP repeated my call back to me and left out a letter. I corrected him, but I guess it never got logged.

Any tips on avoiding this would be really appreciated........ This was a new one.

73/Mike
K0SR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2002, 06:48:53 AM »

Mike,

This has happened to all DXers at one time or another.  You never know what it's like for the DX operator, but he might have had a big pileup going or local noise, etc.  Or more likely, when you tried to correct your call some idiot on this end called on top of you.  It's always good practice for the DX station to repeat your call back to you, especially if he needed a correction.  Otherwise, you never really know! If you have any concern that you're not in the log correctly, try to work them again.  Most good DXpedition operators understand this and won't be critical of a "duplicate" contact.  Another strategy is to try and work them on another band or another mode.  And finally, I can understand your disappointment and frustration, but 5U will be on the air again.  Anyone who has been chasing DX will have several stories about "the one that got away" only to work them later.  Hang in there, OM!

73  Steve K0SR
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2002, 11:16:23 AM »

Using great phonetics (if you were operating phone) helps a lot.

I've found that the "American standard" phonetics of alpha, bravo, charlie, delta are not so easily understood by people outside America.  What seems to be better understood by most DX is using popular city or country names like America, Brazil, Canada, etc.  These have more syllables and are less easily confused for other phonetics and the letters they represent.

Of course speaking very clearly with your best possible articulation helps a lot, too.  When I work Americans, I'm pretty lazy and speak very quickly, slur words together, use popular slang, etc, since other Americans will still understand me.  But when working DX, I speak more slowly and distinctly and try to articulate every syllable.  It helps to practice with a tape recorder.  Play yourself back and see how you sound!

One other tip: As you probably know, many (if not most) DXpeditions have an on-line log available so you can check to see if you're in it!  If you are sure you worked the station, check their on line log the next day.  If you're there, great.  If you're not, better work 'em again.

73 de Steve, WB2WIK/6
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2002, 03:13:45 PM »

To reinforce Steve's point, I found that the phonetics "Florida Mexico" were more effective with foreign hams than the US-accepted "Foxtrot Mike".  And I was REALLY WRONG when I first got my vanity call and assumed that "Frequency Modulation" would be instantly recognized!

If you can get the QSL manager to tell you the call of the station that the DX logged at the same time as your logged QSO, you might try contacting that station to see if they were even operating at that time.  

I recently got a card back from a DX station's manager with the note "Sorry, not in log...I have WØRM".  I immediately shot an email to WØRM to see if he was on the air and on CW on that band at the time.  I am waiting to hear back from him.  If he says that he wasn't on the air, I will appeal to the QSL manager and point out how close the "F" and the "R" keys are on the keyboard (easy typo to make) and how similar the two letters are when sent in CW in a pileup.  Sometimes (but not always), given enough documentation, the manager will adjust the log.

Good luck.

Terry, WØFM
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2002, 04:12:47 PM »

Mike,

Also, some good advice on avoiding or handling "Not In Log" issues is located on the VK9ML web site:

http://www.qsl.net/vk9ml/2002/

Terry, WØFM
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2002, 09:47:04 PM »

Not in Log by KC7MAW
>>Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Hi Mike,
Sorry to hear about 5U4R slipping away, but as another poster has already pointed out, 5U will be back, and there's always a chance you'll hear Jim, 5U7JK on the bands--I still remember answering his CQ in the dying minutes of last fall's CQ-WW-SSB contest. What a thrill and a very pleasant surprise. Don't worry, you'll get 'em again! Be VERY glad it wasn't from the P5 or BS7! That would be a heartbreaker!

Like you (from what I've gathered from your other posts), I'm also relatively new to DXing and I can appreciate how heartbreaking it is to have this happen. I know my turn will come one day, and I pray that it isn't from the P5 <grin>.

I do have one suggestion that I'm pretty sure will help you out a bit with working DX--and it's one that I wrestled with considerably until recently myself. Your callsign's a real mouthful and is bound to hurt. When you upgrade to Extra (you *are* going to upgrade to Extra aren't you?) go for a shorter callsign or something that rolls off the tongue (or key if you're so inclined) a little easier. 1x2, 2x1 or a good 1x3 will really help. I was licensed in Canada for over 20 years, and when I first moved to the US I was operating as VE3THX/W2. Think that's bad to read? Try saying it in a contest and having to repeat it a zillion times to DX..Victor Echo Three Tango Hotel X-Ray Portable Whiskey Two. 17 syllables--Ick! Not to mention the number of cards that came back without the /W2 on them (worthless for DXCC). Thankfully most sent out a new card with the correct call on request, but I still don't have Bahrain or Brazil because of that!

Congratulations on how far you've come already, and good luck in your quest for those elusive new ones. I'm just running 100W and a dipole as well, and I can imagine your frustration only too well. I've been trying like crazy for zones 23, 24 and 27 for months now (all I need for WAZ), and I finally got 24 on Sunday. I'm really hoping that I don't get a NIL for that one!

The only other bit of advice I can offer is not to take the Big Game Hunters too seriously--especially those who deride the little guys like you and me. Work smart, listen, hunt & pounce and have fun!

73, Peter

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KC7MAW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2002, 12:09:19 AM »

Thanks to the response to my post. I thought that thread was dead, but low and behold, I got another great reply.

About the call and the upgrade, yea, I would have to agree. I've had many contesters and dx'ers comment "Wow that's a mouthful".  It's my original call and I'm sort of attached to it. I thought about going to a 1x3 allowed for general's, but opted for a shorter 2x2 or 1x2, 2x1 when I upgrade  to Xtra, which I definitely plan on doing.

At the time, 5U4R was really my only Africa DX in log among tons of European's and Asian's......  I have worked and confirmed a couple more Africa DX stations since then which took the sting out not being in the log for 5u4R and all you guys were right. Sooner or later another shot will come along....... and it did.

I learned alot from that one and most of my frustration was in how I handled the Chase. With my station, conditions for the Contact needed to be good...they generally weren't for most of the time I was trying. The timing of efforts just set me up for a frustrating time. I've learned not to spend hours on the rig trying to bust through barefoot when condition's are poor.  I've done some research on propagation and band conditions and have had much better results by working smarter/not harder.

And until I do shorten my call, I make darn sure that the DX has my call correct and I'm in the log.

Take it easy and thanks for reading my posts...... I had one in this forum that got a little hairy.

All I really have time for is chasing DX between family events.. Can't wait for fall and hope 10m comes back strong. Have worked lots of DX on 17 and 20, but nothing compared to 10m last fall/winter.

73/Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: