Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX - Price range. (New Rig ??)  (Read 1665 times)
VE9TS

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2002, 09:40:05 AM »

Hello,

I'm thinking about getting a HF rig and I can't go
beyond my price range.

I know none of these are "real" DX rigs. But money wise, its the best I can do.

This radio would be for base operation.

Please help me pick the radio that would be the
best for DX - SSB / CW - Split operation etc. Inother words, which would be the best of the lot for DXing and the odd contest. Though not a real contestor, I get in a few of them .. now and then.

Most of my dx work will be ssb, but also cw.

Rigs:

FT-920
FT-897
FT-847

IC-706MK2G

TS-570G
TS-570SG

Thank You!

- Mark - ve9ts

--

WA3GDK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2002, 08:09:43 AM »

Hi Mark, I think it's a hard decision for most hams to get the right radio for them, at a price they can afford. Why don't you go the left side of this page and click on product reviews listed under resources? You will find a listing for hf-transceivers. I think there are comments for all the models that you have listed. Good luck and Good dx-ing.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2002, 11:20:17 AM »

I'd pick the FT-920 from that particular list.

However, I'd probably pick the IC-746 over anything on the list, and it's in the same general price range (not the PRO, just the original 746).

Then, if I were really shopping value (price:performance ratio), I'd probably go with a used TS-850S/AT, which are available on the used market for about $800-$850 and outperform your entire list, if you focus only on HF performance and contest worthiness.

WB2WIK/6
KC7MAW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2002, 02:34:28 AM »

For an excellent starter Rig in the HF range, I strongly recommend the ICOM 718. It's not on your list, but you'll find this to be an excellent rig for around 600.00 brand new!!!!!

Like the earlier post said, Check the reviews. If you check the reviews for the ICOM 718, you will not be disappointed.

I've worked over 100 countries and tons of DX  with a simple 110 ft longwire at an average height of 30 feet.

Can't beat it for the price.

Mike
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2002, 11:47:35 AM »

From your list I would pick the FT-920. Used, I would pick either the TS-850SAT or IC-756 (non PRO). I rate the used radios as closer to DX Contest grade over the FT-920 that is a good performer anyways.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2002, 08:57:30 PM »

Well, I'll add my two cents in here in favour of the TS-570D (G), from those in your list. I grabbed one at Dayton and fell in love with it from the first 5 minutes I've had it out of the box.

The point I want to stress, however, is that you do NOT need a great radio if DX is your thing. A modest radio will more than do the trick if combined with two other critical items. One is as good an antenna as you can possibly erect, and the other is a set of good operating skills.

So long as you get something with a good strong 100W output and that's reasonably sensitive and selective you should do quite well. Put your money into your skyhook--even a cheap quad or small yagi will be an order of magnitude better than a dipole--and the higher up you can go the better.

I got back on HF after a 20+ year absence last August with my ancient TS-820S (100 W, tube finals no WARC bands), and the best antenna I could erect was a multi-band dipole at about 40'. I'm up to 171 confirmed and 195 worked overall on 10, 15 and 20. Most of these were made on the 820 and only about 10 or 15 on the new radio. If the choice was a directional antenna at 50-75' or the finest radio equipment ever made, I'd take the modest antenna and crappy equipment every time.

The most important aspect, however, is what you do with your antenna and your equipment. Hone the fine art of listening and develop the understanding of what you can hear, what directions your location favours, when to listen for what countries where, etc, and you'll be in top shape. Don't mistake DX success with what comes out of the box.

Heck, I'll even give you a great deal on my old 820 station if you want it!

Peter W2IRT

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2002, 01:24:49 PM »

VE9TS, I surely agree with W2IRT.

There was a "survey" type question on the Contesting.com website some months ago, asking, "If you had a budget of exactly $5000, and had to build an HF station from scratch, what would you buy?"

My answer, which was echoed by a lot of others, was "$4999 on tower, excavation, concrete, rotor, beams, cables...and find a $1 rig on a Swap Meet table."

There is no question, if you have limited operating time like most of us do, and want to work DX and participate in the fun aspects of contesting, that this is about the right ratio.

Of course, if you've already got a great antenna system and are just looking for a new rig, that makes the choice a lot easier!

WB2WIK/6
KG6IBW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2002, 05:36:54 PM »

Well, I made a totally new station five months ago.  I will tell you what I am glad I bought and what I regret.

Glad:
ICOM 718.  The only thing it lacks is a graphic spectrum display
High Sierra 1500 screwdriver antenna:   Have 130 entities as a newcomer in five months.  My architecture committee (XYL) put the nix on anything big.
Heathkit SB-220:  puts out 3-600 watts when asked running on 110v
Daiwa 801H:  Skip the cheap ones, tell at a glance if you are screwing up

Sorry:
Cheap odds and ends, they end up in the junk box.

If I were starting over I would go with the four items above.  And a bunch of coax cables......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: