The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A "civilian" response to my posting elsewhere about Joe Walsh's ham license  (Read 13741 times)
WA2ISE

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2015, 07:17:56 AM »

On a music forum I posted about Joe Walsh having a license, and a sound clip of him on the air.

a response:

"Your post description leaves a lot to be desired. WTF is it??? "wb6acu"
doesn't exactly describe anything."

I replied:

"Joe Walsh has a ham amateur radio license, and his callsign is WB6ACU.  The sound clip is Joe talking on his ham radio."

and the re-reply:

"mmm....ham radio.

How about a big chunk of cheese tv and maybe some blu-ray mayo?

Yummy. "

Grin

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 07:38:55 AM »

I think there's a certain tongue-in-cheekness that works to a ham's advantage by not taking the comment too seriously.

e.g. the Velveeta "Ham Radio" TV ad. We could pick apart everything that's wrong with it, or be happy that ham radio was mentioned in a positive and light-hearted sense. I think it's better to be happy.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 10:12:39 AM »

Remember, not everyone feels the same way about amateur radio as we do!
WD6GLA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 01:39:22 PM »

Very true .  I seldom tell anyone ( non hams ) I'm an amateur radio operator anymore unless some interest is shown during a conversation . Most of the time the usual response from people is a blank or a " sounds boring to me " look on their faces , OR the classic ... they pull out their cellphones and say if they need to talk to someone I'll use this like we hams are way behind the times in technology . Different strokes for different folks I guess .   
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 02:22:10 PM »

Very true .  I seldom tell anyone ( non hams ) I'm an amateur radio operator anymore unless some interest is shown during a conversation . Most of the time the usual response from people is a blank or a " sounds boring to me " look on their faces , OR the classic ... they pull out their cellphones and say if they need to talk to someone I'll use this like we hams are way behind the times in technology . Different strokes for different folks I guess .  

Yes.....perhaps.....but what happens with their up to date technology when it's  infrastructure fails???..or if a biblical storm blows the whole area to kingdom come???....of if the grids are attacked and hacked???.... ..who do they come running too???....Who will they all gather around, screaming "HELP US!!!!...HELP US!!!!"Huh......we "boring" nerdy fat guys with the car battery, the 100 watt transmitter, and the wet noodle antenna.....at which point, the blank stares will go away......just say'n....... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes......

V
K3NRX
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 03:31:09 PM »

Don't have to be nerdy or fat to have an interest in radio, questionable hygiene is not a requirement either. .... People can only blame themselves for being slovenly and behind the times.
KK4LGR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 05:59:53 PM »

That's why I get a kick out of serving those trail running events up in the mountains where cell phone coverage is spotty.  Just about every year you get "What's the score in Sporting Event?  I can't get a signal out here."  Hasn't been once I couldn't find either a local ham on one of the repeaters or someone else somewhere in the country on 20 meters who knew.

"Well I'm sure glad we've got these ham radios to talk on."
--Unidentified station heard on 2 meters
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »

I ask the bright ones what the area code is for the south pole. 
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 01:05:04 PM »

On a music forum I posted about Joe Walsh having a license, and a sound clip of him on the air.

a response:

I replied:

"Joe Walsh has a ham amateur radio license, and his callsign is WB6ACU.  The sound clip is Joe talking on his ham radio."

and the re-reply:

"mmm....ham radio.

Yummy. "

Grin

Why are you letting the morons bother you?  Life is too short to be concerned about the ignorant...
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 03:48:01 AM »

Why are you letting the morons bother you?  Life is too short to be concerned about the ignorant...

I thought WA2ISE was sharing something that's pretty damn funny.  Catch the "smiley face" at the end of his post?  Lighten up, OM.  Sheesh.

K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 03:52:30 AM »

Don't have to be nerdy or fat to have an interest in radio, questionable hygiene is not a requirement either. ....

LOL!  Not bad.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 05:08:09 AM »

I ask the bright ones what the area code is for the south pole. 
Connection to Scott Base and the nearby United States base McMurdo Station is via the New Zealand Country calling code +64. 
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 08:48:44 PM »

a response:

I replied:

and the re-reply:

"mmm....ham radio.

Yummy. "

Grin

Ages ago, when TV Guide was actual TV listings and not another cheap celebrity tabloid, they ran small cartoons. One was labeled "interactive tv" and featured a guy sitting in front of his TV holding a bag of potato chips, and the TV says "pass the chips".  Grin Grin This must have been 20 years ago, before the internet really got going. There were several startups trying to build interactive TV from the ground up. I had that cartoon taped to my TV armoire for a while.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: