The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Politically Incorrect - Are These Hams ?  (Read 32539 times)
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 02:12:41 PM »

16 post of curmudgeon forgetting Ham radio is a hobby

You can lead a curmudgeon to a new ham, but ya can't make him Elmer anyone!
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 06:47:23 PM »

There it is!!  Just call 'em "grudgmugeon," racist......or some other name.  This is the present day method of PC control.  Very pathetic when a person must resort to this instead of discussing the subject in a forthright manner. 

We dinosaurs know this is just a hobby.  We also know the HISTORY of the hobby and how it was.....comparing it to the way it is today and find the present ATTITUDE troubling as well as our views of the future of ham radio.  This not only pertains to ham radio, a hobby, but most other things that require effort.  I saw the beginning of this in the work force, at least 17 years ago when I was on the job. 

So, go ahead and name call if you wish.  I am TOTALLY immune to PC and welcome to the expanded version of CB. 
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 07:43:27 PM »

I fail to see the the OP's original point.

Two new guys standing at the counter, looking at radios they've never seen before and one asks "Will it work on the repeaters?".

A perfectly reasonable question, even for a seasoned ham like myself.  Modern rigs that "Look like HF rigs" are now capable of 2m, 440 and more.   I can't keep them all straight and would have to look at a manual or feature card to figure out their coverage.

Nobody is born (or licensed) knowing everything about ham radio.  It's a learning hobby. 

This topic just failed from the beginning!  b.
KA4LFP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 08:03:33 PM »

I always tend to think that publishing the questions and all the answers is what started things downhill....that tends to promote laziness.

I didn't pass my General that way, 35 years ago...
KG7CSS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 08:30:54 PM »

There it is!!  Just call 'em "grudgmugeon," racist......or some other name.  This is the present day method of PC control.  Very pathetic when a person must resort to this instead of discussing the subject in a forthright manner. 

We dinosaurs know this is just a hobby.  We also know the HISTORY of the hobby and how it was.....comparing it to the way it is today and find the present ATTITUDE troubling as well as our views of the future of ham radio.  This not only pertains to ham radio, a hobby, but most other things that require effort.  I saw the beginning of this in the work force, at least 17 years ago when I was on the job. 

So, go ahead and name call if you wish.  I am TOTALLY immune to PC and welcome to the expanded version of CB. 
I do care about your history.    You lost lost  any credibility to speak for the future of ham, radio because  you insist it stays stuck in the past. You probably nice guy but  maybe  more of us  need to speak up put you guys in your place. If you don't like complain to the FCC, I follow  the rules  so see how far you can get. 
We agree to disagree get you of my way.

More of us  want need to push the bonds of ham radio need speak up, you pass the test that a good start;  don't let these guys get to you and if they do not like it,  let us leave them  in their ham shack shack out of the way of the future.
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 08:52:10 PM »

What I find personally amusing is that this is a discussion that could have, and almost certainly has, arisen at virtually any time throughout the history of ham radio.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 09:39:39 PM »

go take your attitude play somewhere else. (I trying to be very polite but you can't do jack)  

Wow, a wanna-be no-code tech... who would have expected?  Tell ya what, buddy... when the day comes when you can figure out how to attach a PL-259 to a piece of coax, I hope the curmudgeons don't bother answering any of your questions, or bothering to answer any advice. Go take your attitude back to CB or where ever you came from. Us curmudgeons are still holding down the fort.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 09:42:31 PM by K1ZJH » Logged
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 09:42:49 PM »

What I find personally amusing is that this is a discussion that could have, and almost certainly has, arisen at virtually any time throughout the history of ham radio.

It's more or less identical to the discussion that was going on when I got my Novice license almost 50 years ago.   Plus ça change...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:40:56 PM by KG6AF » Logged
KG7CSS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 10:28:16 PM »

go take your attitude play somewhere else. (I trying to be very polite but you can't do jack)  

Wow, a wanna-be no-code tech... who would have expected?  Tell ya what, buddy... when the day comes when you can figure out how to attach a PL-259 to a piece of coax, I hope the curmudgeons don't bother answering any of your questions, or bothering to answer any advice. Go take your attitude back to CB or where ever you came from. Us curmudgeons are still holding down the fort.

I   decline any need of your help, you just get in the way.  I do not need to bother your in your reminiscing.  

Oh by the way,  I was a 12 year navy  veteran as a radar technician and  20 years  electronics technician with skills in telecommunication,  bio medical and  computers. Come back to me when you want talk about SPI bus addressing and measuring  high speed  or even how to operate  a spectrum analyzer in the RF and then replace  smt  components with a jbc rework  system, extra bonus do both lead and lead free soldering. I have built  cables before both solder cup and  crimp on.  The problem good crimping tool cost money.

My only  problem  now is money.  
I leave you the grace of having the last word.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:35:50 PM by KG7CSS » Logged
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2015, 12:56:58 AM »

There was a time, 30 or 40 years ago when an applicant for job as RF designer or even technician who had a ham licence demonstrated that he/she had at least some interest in and knowledge of the technicalities of radio equipment - plus some knowledge of propagation and EMC. Now, having a ham licence doesn't demonstrate that to necessarily be the case, although an experienced 'appliance operator DXer/contester' will probably have a good knowledge of propagation and a basic knowledge of antennas.

But even with a top level licence, it does seem that relatively few amateurs these days want to progress in the 'self training' for which amateur radio is supposed to exist internationally. Mention Miller effect in many amateur circles and you will receive a blank look....But finding good RF people was never easy: it just appears harder than ever now from what my former colleagues tell me. Sadly, the shortage hasn't impacted the pay as much as one would hope........

Back in about 1982, I had a telephone call at work. It was CEO of a small electronics manufacturing company: he had seen our Application Notes, had a chance to quote for building a few hundred SSB transceivers and wanted to know if we had a full set of designs available. I told him 'No' and that he would need to employ a competent RF engineer to do the work. I explained that someone competent enough would need about £15k a year pay (about $23k then). He was taken aback; "Fifteen thousand pounds a year for an engineer: I won't have that - I don't pay that much for an accountant!"

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2015, 04:24:07 AM »

I can assure you 35 years ago when I was licensed, the majority of new hams were getting licenses so they could use 2M phone patches. You are correct, few of them could conceive of how to solder on a PL-259. There's a lot of hams who lament the obsolescence of the "phone patch" generation but I'm not one of them. There are a lot of kinda stagnant clubs that were formed entirely around support of the 2M repeater, and they could use some refocusing, or maybe not, maybe they're happy just the way they are. (I would've thought they needed refocusing decades ago!)

I can also assure you that many of the upgrading hams of that and the previous generation, had struggled their butts off to pass the 13WPM CW test for General privs, and were now very relieved that they had phone privileges and would never ever have to do CW again.

I look at the new hams today and yes, few of the newly minted Extras could ever solder on a PL-259. But many are interested in the hobby more broadly than the hams of 35 years ago - largely because of the passing of the phone patch era. Even though they don't have to pass a Morse code test, many are learning CW for the enjoyment of the mode (not because it's forced on them.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 04:29:35 AM by N3QE » Logged
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2015, 06:36:05 AM »

A number of clubs over here have found that there are a lot of new youngsters who have become very interested (and good) in CW for DXing and contesting, even though they didn't have to learn it.

But, OTOH, there are those who refer to CW as a 'dinosaur mode'.......
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2015, 08:16:01 AM »

I   decline any need of your help, you just get in the way.  I do not need to bother your in your reminiscing.  

Oh by the way,  I was a 12 year navy  veteran as a radar technician and  20 years  electronics technician with skills in telecommunication,  bio medical and  computers. Come back to me when you want talk about SPI bus addressing and measuring  high speed  or even how to operate  a spectrum analyzer in the RF and then replace  smt  components with a jbc rework  system, extra bonus do both lead and lead free soldering. I have built  cables before both solder cup and  crimp on.  The problem good crimping tool cost money.

My only  problem  now is money.  
I leave you the grace of having the last word.
 Your "problem" consists of a lot more than "money".  With your "qualifications" you ought to be rolling in dough.  
KG7CSS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2015, 08:39:41 AM »

Your "problem" consists of a lot more than "money".  With your "qualifications" you ought to be rolling in dough.  

I prefer to live within my means, Hobbies are very low in my priority.     
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2015, 09:41:16 AM »

What I personally find amazing is how many Know-Code Extras like to crow about how they know CW or can build a legal-limit amp from duct tape, two toothpicks and a thimble, who reminiscence about the good old days when their shacks were radioactive from some WWII surplus rig, or who refuse to operate on that newfangled sideband crap, but come looking for help from us no-code licensees when they need help with anything to do with computers, LoTW, digital modes and the like.  

The hobby changes. The hobby moves on. Many forget it is just a hobby. Fortunately, it is a hobby big enough for all of us.

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: