The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Politically Incorrect - Are These Hams ?  (Read 31836 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2015, 12:45:03 AM »

Ask most hams what a ferrite isolator is used for, and you'll get the dear in the headlight look.

Pete,

I seem to remember that in the early days of repeaters, VHF ferrite isolators weren't around and it was all done with cavities and in several cases, separate receive and transmit antennas. Properly engineering a repeater even today is not a trivial task - unless maybe you can do the job with a 'cheque book' .
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2015, 03:45:02 AM »

I try to respect almost anyone.

When one of you curmudgeons answers my question in the antenna forum from about 6 weeks ago, then you can be respected as well.

So instead of sitting on the high mountain of accomplishment- why not help a brother out?

I would say that instead of  posting attitude maybe you could be more specific in your antenna post about the antennas you want to install.  Then the curmudgeons can spoon feed you the info you want so you don't have to do the research yourself.  That is what you want isn't it?  Anything less and we're all curmudgeons on the mountain.  Your words.

Oh kiss me on the cheek.

I'll do it myself, help others, and be twice the ham you ever were.

Thanks.

Putting a Shatnerologist in a room full of ordinary people is like putting a velociraptor in a room full of wiener dogs.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2015, 03:24:10 PM »

Tut, tut.  Roll Eyes

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2015, 08:46:41 AM »

When one of you curmudgeons answers my question in the antenna forum from about 6 weeks ago, then you can be respected as well.

So instead of sitting on the high mountain of accomplishment- why not help a brother out?

The only help I ever had in designing and installing my first antennas was a 10 year old copy of the 1956 ARRL antenna manual and the 1965 handbook.  With those two resources I was able to make antennas that worked very well.  So instead of complaining at the OF's for not hugging you, why not try reading a little on the subject, you just might find the answers you're looking for and learn something in the process.

If you do learn something then you will be on your way to becoming a curmudgeon on a high mountain of accomplishment.  Reading is fundamental, no one told us that we just knew it.
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2015, 09:44:53 AM »

While I haven't read every post in this thread I get the flavor of the thread. I'm retired, I was an RF tech for twenty one years. I see and hear a lot of ignorance on forums and on the bands. My attitude has always been to try and make things better one person at a time. yes there are lost causes but no sense in letting it get you down. I belong to a radio club here where I live, there is a core group of members which I am a part of who do our part to educate the willing. You know what they say about trying to teach a frog to sing.....

With that said we are suppose to be self policing, when we find someone operating out of their band segment, letting them know is helpful, to keeping the bands from turning into slums, and puts the burden on the violator's conscience.

When it is all said and done we have nobody but ourselves to blame for the condition of the bands, the level of education of the newcomers, and the unwillingness of some to abide by the rules.

The worst enemy of keeping order is apathy.

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2015, 02:17:24 PM »

True. But there are times when the overwhelming ignorance and reluctance to learn means you start saying 'No more. Go die on your own.'
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2015, 02:21:55 PM »

We all must live with our choices.

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2015, 03:12:35 PM »

True. But there are times when the overwhelming ignorance and reluctance to learn means you start saying 'No more. Go die on your own.'
I guess so... maybe.  Wink

Sue, we miss you on the Zed. And now, we're missing the Zed as well. Wink
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2015, 03:31:41 PM »

Sue, very true.

After 32 years as a volunteer for my national society (RSGB), plus being President, plus being an Honorary RSGB Life Vice President, plus being an IARU Technical Consultant and spending over 2 years of vacation time representing amateur radio at ITU over 32 years, that my choices don't have a lot of sympathy for those who do wish to know nothing about even the basics of amateur radio technology.

Let them defend having frequencies for amateurs, against people from Administrations in Africa, who they regard as 'rich white men who don't care about the poor rest of Africa'.

-Which may explain why there are 43 counties who have footnoted the ITU Radio Regulations to allow non-amateur communications in the band 7.0 to 7.2 MHz.....

Especially when there are those amateurs who want to run 1920's and 30's rigs that cannot meet today's spurious limits  - AND DON'T CARE!

Peter G3RZP
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2015, 03:59:42 PM »

Sue, very true.

After 32 years as a volunteer for my national society (RSGB), plus being President, plus being an Honorary RSGB Life Vice President, plus being an IARU Technical Consultant and spending over 2 years of vacation time representing amateur radio at ITU over 32 years, that my choices don't have a lot of sympathy for those who do wish to know nothing about even the basics of amateur radio technology.

Let them defend having frequencies for amateurs, against people from Administrations in Africa, who they regard as 'rich white men who don't care about the poor rest of Africa'.

-Which may explain why there are 43 counties who have footnoted the ITU Radio Regulations to allow non-amateur communications in the band 7.0 to 7.2 MHz.....

Especially when there are those amateurs who want to run 1920's and 30's rigs that cannot meet today's spurious limits  - AND DON'T CARE!

Peter G3RZP

I am with you on this technical literacy is a problem these days.
And thank you for your contributions to the hobby.
I do what I can, I hope to leave the Amateur Radio service a better place than it was when I was first licensed. Smiley

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2015, 08:39:53 PM »

Ask most hams what a ferrite isolator is used for, and you'll get the dear in the headlight look.

Pete,

I seem to remember that in the early days of repeaters, VHF ferrite isolators weren't around and it was all done with cavities and in several cases, separate receive and transmit antennas. Properly engineering a repeater even today is not a trivial task - unless maybe you can do the job with a 'cheque book' .

We needed to use an isolator on a solid state 140 watt mobile FM KLM amp that was modified for repeater use. It did not like looking into the reactive off-frequency load that was presented by a Sinclair Hybrid Ring Duplexer.  The isolator provided a flat load, and stopped the problems we were having with parasitic oscillations in the PA. That had to date back to sometime in the early or mid seventies?  Considering there were several high power VHF systems on site, the isolator probably helped with our TX IMD footprint as well. The heart of the repeater is a good duplexer--too many repeater ops tried to get by with cheaper solutions.
Our Sinclair was an high power model, and used teflon cable for the hybrid rings. It wasn't cheap, but it worked flawlessly for many decades. 

Pete
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2015, 09:40:39 PM »

My attitude has always been to try and make things better one person at a time.

This is the real reason eHam.com exists.  The only ones here getting flamed are those who ask the simplest of questions; questions that can be answered by simply reading the instruction manuals for their gear or some basic research.  Some here, including myself, gets annoyed with these who get into a technical hobby and just refuse or are too lazy to research basic information about their elected hobby.

Then it dissolves into into name calling.....grudgmugions on one side and those on the other side who wish to be spoon fed.

When it is all said and done we have nobody but ourselves to blame for the condition of the bands, the level of education of the newcomers, and the unwillingness of some to abide by the rules.

Perhaps you can explain that statement to me.  When the bands are controlled by the FCC and influenced by the ARRL, how does that come down to "nobody to blame but ourselves?"

As for the intelligence level of the newcomers, as a rule they are very well educated....not stupid people. 

As for those "unwilling to abide by the rules," I am truly baffled by these lids.  As a rule they are the older generation operators.  It's upsetting to see those that were once leaders or examples to the younger generation become what they are.

K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2015, 10:04:17 PM »

This is the real reason eHam.com exists.  The only ones here getting flamed are those who ask the simplest of questions; questions that can be answered by simply reading the instruction manuals for their gear or some basic research.  Some here, including myself, gets annoyed with these who get into a technical hobby and just refuse or are too lazy to research basic information about their elected hobby.

One observation:  there have been countless times where I've read comments that X, Y or Z magazine are too technical; and these comments have been made in the past 12 months. I find that to be an outrageous statement... this is a technical hobby. Yeah, things change. But, unless you are going to rely on others to fix your rigs or antennas, you'd better have deep pockets. I get annoyed when a new ham is upset that a magazine dares to run a technical article, no matter how basic or simplistic, since it offends his sensibilities and challenges his intellect. It is pretty sad that Ham Radio and Communications Quarterly failed due to a lack of readership... and that QEX is on life support only because the ARRL can afford to publish a niche, vanity publication.

Pete
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2015, 12:31:37 AM »

The only help I ever had in designing and installing my first antennas was a 10 year old copy of the 1956 ARRL antenna manual and the 1965 handbook.  With those two resources I was able to make antennas that worked very well.  So instead of complaining at the OF's for not hugging you, why not try reading a little on the subject, you just might find the answers you're looking for and learn something in the process.

If you do learn something then you will be on your way to becoming a curmudgeon on a high mountain of accomplishment.  Reading is fundamental, no one told us that we just knew it.

I'm already familiar with the "mountain of accomplishment"- I've already staked claim to real estate there. I'll pass on being a curmudgeon though, it takes too much negative energy.

See success isn't looking down from Mount Accomplishment and complaining about those at the bottom. Success is becoming accomplished, and being exceeded in ability by your student.

You stand on your mountain. I'll stand on mine.

My view is better.

Putting a Shatnerologist in a room full of ordinary people is like putting a velociraptor in a room full of wiener dogs.
K8PRG

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2015, 03:49:23 AM »

Being a newbie, I generally come to eHam to research something I know I read about while studying for the Tech tic......but just need to refresh myself with as it will make more sense to me now that I've been in the hobby for a few months.
I'm usually able to find my answers faster than it would take me to start a thread re-asking a "simplest of questions".
And I've also found that ...fortunately for me and others like me....those willing to help far out-number you flamers.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: