The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Politically Incorrect - Are These Hams ?  (Read 33145 times)
WB5AGF

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2015, 08:01:53 PM »

I'm feeling like a risk-taker this evening .... so let's see if the-power-that-be let this get posted. (If I 'disappear' - the 'Men-In-Black' got me .... Smiley

I was up at the new 'Ham Radio Outlet' (HRO) in Plano (northern suburb of Dallas) this afternoon and I heard a couple of fellows, who looked to be in their mid-to-late-30s, talking about some VHF ham gear. It was somewhat shocking to realize that I had fallen so far into an advanced-curmudgeon state ... but there it was. To me these two 'young' (yes, that too) fellows didn't sound like ham radio operators (one of them asked the other 'Will it work on the repeaters ?')

I thought to myself "I couldn't work here - Somebody'd walk thru the door and ask a really uneducated question (not quite the way I thought but I'm exercising some editorial license) and I'd be hard pressed not to reply with the first thing that came-to-mind."

Is it too late for me .... or can I be re-educated so that I don't expect hams to know which end of a hot soldering iron to grab ?

- WB5AGF   (new phonetics seem appropriate ..... ' A Grouchy Fellow ' )

(But just think .... Andy Rooney used to get paid good money for letting-fly with what he really thought ..... )
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 08:10:42 PM »

Welcome to the ever growing club!  I don't wish to completely ruin your day, but it's going to get worse.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 09:44:34 PM »

Face it, buddy... we are dinosaurs.  I could never understand why QST transitioned from articles showing how to build ham receivers and transmitters, while degenerating to simple projects like Tuna Tin QRP rigs.  And, that was when they had a technical department with several technical editors on staff. 

Today, I see "technical" articles published that obviously were never peer reviewed, or passed through the eyes of members of a now NON existent tech department.  Even editorial review boards have been obsoleted, or not used for the past decades.

I was in shock when Ham Radio Magazine folded and sold out to CQ Magazine. I was happy when CQ started Communications Quarterly Magazine, but within ten years the product was not economically viable. I was doing a radio restoration column for Pop'Comm, but the hobby of SWL listening and general radio was also past its prime.  All FCC licenses are now a joke... ham and commercial. At one time the FCC 1st Telephone or Telegraph had the same value as technical degree.  Even the early ham Extra had weight. Today neither will get you a cup of coffee. 

But, that is where the world is heading. Whether we like it or not.  I've come to realize that myself and a very few others still repair or restore radios. When we are SK, I suspect that art will pass with us.

Pete
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 01:37:48 AM »

I've come to realize that myself and a very few others still repair or restore radios. When we are SK, I suspect that art will pass with us.

Not entirely, Pete, but there will be fewer people who can. Part of it is that so much is software dependent now, plus more and more is tied up in a 'black box' integrated circuit that cannot necessarily be taken off a PCB without special equipment, and in any case, is not available any more anyway.

It's still easier to keep a pre-WW2 HRO going than some of the not quite so modern rigs: an ART-13 PA and modulator tubes are still available, which is more than you can say for some 'modern' SS PA transistors!

There are some younger people who go for older gear or who home brew, but not very many....
NY7Q

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 09:20:22 AM »

I listened to a net on 20 meters yesterday afternoon. I was curious about one of the voices(thought it was an old friend, but not) looked up the FCC.GOV and lo and behold the
operator was a Technician class ham...so I looked up a couple more guys, and they too were Technicians...this was in the 14.268 area of band....It is really getting bad for ham
radio these days....so much for rules, past history, or just plain honest good operating practices.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 10:27:09 AM »

I listened to a net on 20 meters yesterday afternoon. I was curious about one of the voices(thought it was an old friend, but not) looked up the FCC.GOV and lo and behold the
operator was a Technician class ham...so I looked up a couple more guys, and they too were Technicians...this was in the 14.268 area of band....It is really getting bad for ham
radio these days....so much for rules, past history, or just plain honest good operating practices.

A ham licensee is a joke today and little more than CB in effort to get one and no enforcement as current congress believes in self regulation and does not fund enforcement. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
M0GVZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 12:31:45 PM »

Is it too late for me .... or can I be re-educated so that I don't expect hams to know which end of a hot soldering iron to grab ?

I'm quite sure I can find something you don't know about which I consider a basic fundamental of amateur radio and vice-versa.

Instead of berating them why not show some of the superior spirit of amateur radio you claim to have and help and educate them or is that too much to ask?

How do you expect new hams to progress if others like yourself aren't prepared to show them the way?
M0GVZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 12:32:47 PM »

Did you go on and point out the error of their ways and educate them or just sit there bitching to yourself?
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 01:03:24 PM »

ham and commercial. At one time the FCC 1st Telephone or Telegraph had the same value as technical degree.  Even the early ham Extra had weight. Today neither will get you a cup of coffee. 

I'd estimate the modern Extra as being equivalent to a 6 credit class at college.  Or a pair of 3 credit classes.  Of course that's at a college that requires 120 credits for a bachelor's degree, like the BSEE I have. 

looked up the FCC.GOV and lo and behold the
operator was a Technician class ham...so I looked up a couple more guys, and they too were Technicians...this was in the 14.268 area of band..

I'd just assume that they just upgraded to general.  Though I think you need to add /G to your call, until you get new paper from the FCC.  I remember doing something like that when I upgraded from Tech plus to Extra back in 2000. 
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 02:43:32 PM »

GVZ:  Surely you jest?  There is simply NO INTEREST in anything technical.  Anymore it's BUY your rig, BUY your antenna, ASK for advice and information on how to connect the two together....

Instead of reading a book to learn to do something, they ASK for help; for advice on the most basic procedure.

You G guys either don't have the same problem or you have no idea what is going on in the real world.

As one of the "dinosaurs." I've tried and for the most part, failed.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 03:36:09 PM »

K8AXW:

GVZ:  Surely you jest?  There is simply NO INTEREST in anything technical.

Sadly, for probably the majority these days, you are correct. It is not that they cannot learn, but they have no wish to learn. That applies over here as well., although an exam system that tells them that a dipole has a 50 ohm feed impedance at a lower exam level  because a low dipole usually does, and then changes it to 73 ohms at Advanced level because that is reality in free space seems to me to be not only crazy but dishonest! (That's the UK licence exams)

About 10 years ago, I was in a QSO with G6JP, who professionally was an Applications Engineer for the Marconi-Osram Valve Company, making valves from low noise VHF triodes to multi kW tx power valves. In the middle of a technical QSO, some new guy called and told us that we were not licenced to communicate in the codes we were using to talk about transmitting tubes - codes which were mu, gm and Ra! (Mutual conductance, transconductance and AC anode (plate) resistance.........)

Another example is the total confusion in amateur circles between 'feed impedance' and 'radiation resistance'............

OTOH, after 22 years of doing systems design and standards production for radios using digital modulations and architectures (and even getting a patent on the subject) I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in digital modulations in amateur radio.......and am rapidly forgetting whatever I previously knew...
K8PRG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 03:49:21 PM »

Hey WB5AGF.....let me guess....K8AXW is your Elmer, right?
KK4LGR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 03:59:56 PM »

Yeah it's too late for you.  

"Well I'm sure glad we've got these ham radios to talk on."
--Unidentified station heard on 2 meters
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 04:39:13 AM »

I believe some of these fellows ARE politically correct HAMS in the comedic sense of the word.
KG7CSS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 12:59:50 PM »

16 post of curmudgeon forgetting Ham radio is a hobby

go take your attitude play somewhere else. (I trying to be very polite but you can't do jack)   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: