The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Politically Incorrect - Are These Hams ?  (Read 32472 times)
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2015, 06:24:31 AM »

I am under age 50, and I am sounding more and more curmudgeonly myself. I'm sick n tired of everything made so dumb, so simple and so basic. We sent a man to the moon - we don't need baby instructions anymore. Why have things gotten DUMBER now instead of more complex?? Isn't that going backward?

The OP is not wrong. He is only seeing this in radio because that is his hobby- I have a few more hobbies and I see it all over the place. And I don't like the excuse or careless phrase that "the times are changing, deal with it". Anyway, I just had to get this off my chest.

They have gotten dumber because the Publishing Industry is broken.  Two big factors are the tax code and the Internet.  An inventory of books is now assessed at the cover price, not the printing price, so it hard to make money by printing a lot of books that takes 10 years to sell.  You make money by selling best sellers or beginners books.
It takes a lot of work to write intermediate level articles--but what is the reward for doing so?  Requests for more of the same and tons of questions from your adoring audience and critics.  I'd say there is a better reward to work ratio on elite level articles--an example might be the 30 kHz bandpass filter I designed for 40M field day stations--narrower than any other published filter  Grin  These days publishers are more worried about finding a new business model to stay into business--I doubt there is anyone that pays a decent rate for quality hobby articles.

Zack W1VT
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2015, 11:54:59 AM »

They have gotten dumber because the Publishing Industry is broken.  Two big factors are the tax code and the Internet.  An inventory of books is now assessed at the cover price, not the printing price, so it hard to make money by printing a lot of books that takes 10 years to sell.  You make money by selling best sellers or beginners books.
It takes a lot of work to write intermediate level articles--but what is the reward for doing so?  Requests for more of the same and tons of questions from your adoring audience and critics.  I'd say there is a better reward to work ratio on elite level articles--an example might be the 30 kHz bandpass filter I designed for 40M field day stations--narrower than any other published filter  Grin  These days publishers are more worried about finding a new business model to stay into business--I doubt there is anyone that pays a decent rate for quality hobby articles.

Zack W1VT

Priceless!  And right on target.

Pete
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2015, 02:28:24 PM »

In re: to 'the hobby moves on..." well that may be, but the hobby need not be dumbed down for the sole excuse that it "moves on". It isn't just amateur radio that has been stupidified, I find it in *everything*. Why? It is almost as if there is something in the water, or for the tin-foil hat people maybe smart phones are making people stupid?  While I am no expert in electronics or amateur radio, I notice how things are a lot less technical minded, everything from magazine articles/web pages/tech specs on eqpt is much much simpler now, and more spelled out, as if they are written out so even the most stupid can figure it out. Remember when you had learn how to use a computer before you bought one?? Ha! "Times have changed". Everything's simplified now.

Oh really are thing really being  simplified  and dumbed dowm?

Perhaps  you are not looking at the right places

http://hackaday.com
http://makezine.com/
https://www.raspberrypi.org

Why do In need to look at  a 1910  how to guide for what I want to do in tech in 2015.

Yeah that is true, there are some brilliant electronic engineers out there and the art has moved away from older tech like ham radio to different stuff.   On the other hand  I also agree that the general public is being spoon fed dumbed down products by companies simply because its one of the simplest ways to increase their sales and to reach more people.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2015, 02:47:38 PM »

RF hasn't changed that much, and there's still a demand for analogue RF engineers.....who need to know all sorts of old fashioned things like Miller effect.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2015, 04:06:47 PM »

RF hasn't changed that much, and there's still a demand for analogue RF engineers.....who need to know all sorts of old fashioned things like Miller effect.

Not all that much demand for RF engineers anymore.  Still some jobs out there, but they are not easy to find.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2015, 12:05:11 AM »

IC designers who know RF are still wanted, and I know several who do relatively nicely - if an income of $220k a year in California is 'nicely'. There are a number of RF consultants that I know who get a similar sum, although there are those with two divorces and five kids behind them who are still broke on that income......
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2015, 06:23:56 AM »

I listened to a net on 20 meters yesterday afternoon. I was curious about one of the voices(thought it was an old friend, but not) looked up the FCC.GOV and lo and behold the
operator was a Technician class ham...so I looked up a couple more guys, and they too were Technicians...this was in the 14.268 area of band....It is really getting bad for ham
radio these days....so much for rules, past history, or just plain honest good operating practices.

A ham licensee is a joke today and little more than CB in effort to get one and no enforcement as current congress believes in self regulation and does not fund enforcement. 

Sadly, you are correct.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2015, 10:53:49 AM »

I listened to a net on 20 meters yesterday afternoon. I was curious about one of the voices(thought it was an old friend, but not) looked up the FCC.GOV and lo and behold the
operator was a Technician class ham...so I looked up a couple more guys, and they too were Technicians...this was in the 14.268 area of band....It is really getting bad for ham
radio these days....so much for rules, past history, or just plain honest good operating practices.

A ham licensee is a joke today and little more than CB in effort to get one and no enforcement as current congress believes in self regulation and does not fund enforcement.  

Sadly, you are correct.

Ditto for commercial licenses... they were worth an associates'  "degree" in the 50's. Today, any job that requires one is an anachronism.

Pete
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2015, 11:03:10 AM »

After all the hand wringing, take some steps towards self-policing. .... Not sure when you were licensed, but I figure there's a reason for all the direction finding questions on the current exams. We have to do the leg work, and turn in the info.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: