Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best transceiver receiver  (Read 1277 times)
N6YJ

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2001, 05:54:16 PM »

Hello:

In the market to replace my TS-950S and would like input on which current high-end
transceiver is deemed to have the best receiver.  After all, you cannot talk to them if you
cannot hear them.

Thank you and 73's

Kim Leong  N6YJ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2001, 07:23:07 PM »

There will be lots of opinions.  The prevailing ones, based on discussions with contesters, who are probably the most demanding of all HF operators, seem to indicate:

Ten-Tec Omni VI+
Icom IC-775
Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V
Icom IC-756PRO
Kenwood TS-950SDX/DSP

You might want to review the "in depth" technical reviews on these rigs, available for download from the "members only" section of the ARRL website:

http://www.arrl.org/members-only/prodreview/

The full-length technical reports are long .pdf files that take a while to download, but are complete lab test reports that seem devoid of opinion, and focus only on actual test results, and thus are scientific.

If you have an older TS-950SD, the SDX with DSP is definitely an improvement, one that's noticeable as soon as you connect an antenna.  I love the other rigs on the list above, as well.  The Omni VI+ is eerily quiet, signals just pop out of nowhere, but presents itself to the user as a remarkable receiver.

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6
W4BQF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2002, 11:05:00 PM »

In 1992 I bought an Omni 6+ and really fell in love with that receiver. Those TenTec guys have the agc designed so that low band (160 thru 40m) static crashes are handled the best of any reciever on the market. In the late '90's I wanted to find out if I was missing anything that might be better. I bought an FT1000MP and did the A/B antenna switching (with the Omni and the FT) for about three months, then quickly sold the FT. The FT has a good rcvr, but, in my opinion, does not handle QRN well, among other things. Then I bought an Icom IC-781 and did the A/B antenna switching between it and the Omni, for about six months. While there is no question that the IC781 is an excellent radio, I could hear signals, especially on 80m, on the Omni that I could not hear with the IC781. I still have my Omni 6+, but as soon as I get settled in a new retirement QTH, I'm gonna be ordering a Ten Tec Orion, mainly because the Orion's roofing filter is selectable!
Tom/W4BQF
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2002, 10:23:32 AM »

hello to everybody
in my shack i have tested ic756 ic756pro yaesu ft1000 mark v yaesu 1000 d and ts950sdx all are sold
i have in my shack since 1990 icom 781 and ic751 when you have this rtx never need to buy or spend other money for anhoter rtx (same me)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: