The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Membership Dues Increase  (Read 94484 times)
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2016, 10:19:17 AM »

The NRA earns its keep. People don't balk at price increases when they feel they're being represented  properly.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2016, 12:47:00 PM »

The NRA earns its keep. People don't balk at price increases when they feel they're being represented  properly.
That presumes that all "balkers" are indicators of correct feelings of representation...  Some "balkers", just like to balk at things for no other reasons than they can, or they have some sort of pet peave at some entity and use the excuse of a rate hike to balk at that entity...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2016, 04:28:16 PM »

Another good measure of ARRL's accomplishments can be found the yearly Annual Report http://www.arrl.org/annual-reports
The 2015 Annual Report won't be available till mid 2016, but the 2014 Report should shed some good light on past/present accomplishments and future goals and strategies.

Pete, wa2cwa
KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2016, 11:39:23 AM »

ARRL members get a free copy of QST each month. The $49 is for membership dues to support all the work that they do.

They are in the magazine business. I prefer membership without the Asian Radio Retail Lobby publication !
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2016, 06:10:45 AM »

I have been a life member since the 1970s and never regretted it once. The ARRL (and other associations around the world such as RSGB, etc.) has done so much for amateur radio. QST introduces hams to new operating modes and techniques as well as giving us high quality - detailed - reviews of equipment. But the most important role of the ARRL is keeping ham radio in front of legislators and regulators, petitioning to keep the band allocations we have and asking for more of them as old technology drops them in favor of the new.

Sure, you don't have to pay dues to get all the benefits the ARRL gives to ham radio. I was a ham for almost 20 years before I ponied up the life membership check and never cared one way or another. All it took for me was a short career in government to realize that without the ARRL we would probably have nothing.

If you only knew all the cockamamie ideas Federal bureaucrats can get behind (bandwidth over the power lines is just one recent example) you'd realize how close we have come to losing everything.

So if you want to SUPPORT amateur radio instead of just use it, join ARRL.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
KD4YSH

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2016, 10:10:55 AM »

49.00 is a lot for a magazine...
KD4YSH

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2016, 10:13:49 AM »

49.00 is a lot for a magazine.....you could buy 2 Baofeng radios for that
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2016, 10:38:14 AM »

49.00 is a lot for a magazine.....you could buy 2 Baofeng radios for that
I judge all of my purchases by how many UV5R's I can buy, the standard of VHF gear...  Smiley

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2016, 11:33:07 AM »

Eh, doesn't bother me too much.  Aside from the HR1301 deal, the ARRL is doing alright at what they're supposed to do, IMO, so I'll continue to renew.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2016, 08:18:28 AM »

I left the ARRL once I got wise to their management tactics and realized that they didn't represent my interests in ham radio.  Let me qualify one example...  ARRL executives spent some inordinate amount of effort and boondoggle money securing some seven kilohertz of spectrum below the broadcast band for experimenter stations.  While this is nice for those experimenters, how many hams will actually use this spectrum...compared to the multitudes of hams that have to wade through international broadcasters between 7.1 thru 7.2 Mhz at night? Since US hams lost exclusive use of this portion of spectrum after WWII, I never see the ARRL continue to petition world radio bodies to push for the complete cessation of international broadcast activities on this important band segment.  Yes I know the ARRL and other radio federations got the broadcasters to vacate 7.1 to 7.2 Mhz a few years ago but they seemed to give up the fight for the rest of the band in compromise.  I guess what I'm saying is that the ARRL is not militant enough for my taste. They certainly like to rest on their laurels about their samller achievements but suppress criticism and denial when pressed. They produce and sell many fine reference publications and I have no problem with that; in fact I am willing to purchase these publications from time to time and the prices seem fair.  In the end, I detest the political aspects of most human organizations and the nature of corruption is evident to me in the guise of some ARRL decision makers.  Right or wrong I choose not to overtly support it as a member.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2016, 08:20:15 AM »

Correction to my previous...That's 7.2 to 7.3 mhz where international broadcast pollution occurs...
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2016, 11:14:44 AM »

49.00 is a lot for a magazine...
  Yep!  Even Playboy is only $15 a year!!  Roll Eyes
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2016, 11:24:26 AM »

So if you want to SUPPORT amateur radio instead of just use it, join ARRL.

Very well put!

The ARRL is hardly perfect, but they're far better than 'hey, it's all we got.'  I much prefer supporting the ARRL financially to having to lobby the FCC directly or through my congressman.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2016, 10:07:43 AM »

ARRL members get a free copy of QST each month. The $49 is for membership dues to support all the work that they do.

They are in the magazine business. I prefer membership without the Asian Radio Retail Lobby publication !

What is the "magazine business?"  Magazines need to have at least 50% of the printed page as advertising to be viable. If you don't understand the QST profits support the needs of amateur radio, I feel sorry for you.  QST is the organ for the ARRL. Any profits from advertising revenues are used to support the ARRL. 
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2016, 08:09:58 AM »

Yep!  Even Playboy is only $15 a year!!  Roll Eyes
They just had a major change in content--in part to make their magazine more appealing to advertisers like Dodge, who placed their first ad in 25 years!
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: