Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Someone Please Tell Me Why It Is Taking So Lon  (Read 1769 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2002, 11:45:19 AM »

I sent my cards with Green Stamps to Z32AU TWICE!!!!!....and got no response......Is this man pilfering our return postage money?Huh......and then I sent to YT1AD, and still no response......does anyone know what's going on with this???....It's been almost a year long wait!!!

Thanks
Vince P
KA3NRX

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2002, 11:51:45 AM »

This thread is regarding the QSLs for the 3D2CY operation from last October.......Sorry the title got cut off!

VP
WA4DOU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2002, 04:04:10 PM »

Some cards you'll never receive.Some you will. Don't consider sending a backup card for at least a year. Do try and work backup stations. Eventually you'll acquire them just as others have.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2002, 02:42:24 PM »

Some cards you will never receive and some you will???....I am sorry my friend, but when I am paying for postage, I have to take acception to such an aloof comment like this.......I refuse to take an "oh well" approach when I am sending money to these people and nothing is coming back....These people are supposed to be ligitimate managers.....and I sincerely hope they are, but I am starting to wonder.....especially where as Z32AU is concerned.....
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2002, 02:56:37 PM »

As far as working back-up stations, I try to do that, in fact I did for SV5, which I also cannot get a card from for some "strange" reason...But, do you really think that working a back-up applys for a rare country like Conway Reef, where maybe somone goes once every 10 years?Huh......
DL2AYL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2002, 03:28:43 PM »

If you send a qsl direct, make sure there is no call on the envelope, not yours and not that of the station you worked, write the address by hand and don't use expensive looking stationery. It is not always the ham to blame that you don't get a reply, there are too many crooks out there, knowing that money is included
and some are simply stamp collectors, it helps if you tear off a small corner of the stamps.
It is sad, but that is the way it is...
Erika/DL2AYL
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2002, 07:51:19 AM »

make sure there is no call on the envelope...

Been doing that for quite some time, now.......the other advice is good....I never would have thought about the stamp collector thing......and I use very cheap envelopes......For the SV5 problems, I think these rules might apply, but for my 3D2CY wait, I think that there is just a magnanamous backlog, and YT1AD is managing other expeditions......If anything, the wrong QSL Info was sent out for that one regarding this Z32AU person....that's disturbing....since my return postage is going into someone elses bank account!

KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2002, 11:03:20 AM »

Vince, I send all of my cards via WF5E (buro) and allow the person/club 2 years to respond.  At 2 years, I send a second QSL card direct with with provisions for return.  After that, I don't give it second thought and move on to the next one.  Everybody has something going on in their lives and sometimes they just can't get around to hobby matters all that soon. Life's too short to worry about it.

Merrill
ZL3NB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2002, 05:49:44 AM »

Hi Vince...I know its fustrating but do give it alot of time...I have on several occasions waited up to 3 years to recieve a QSL back after sending one direct with postage (which is no "easy on the wallet" thing to do in NZ dollars and postage)..The points on not putting calls and fancy stamps on envelopes are so true..I know that cards sent to me have never shown up (when I recieved a second request only then do I know that someone out there pocketed the buck or took the stamp.Actually Im still waiting for a Easter Island QSL from 1996 after three requests via a USA manager and a couple for a 5X1P  QSL from 3 years ago. In some cases Vince...The DX station does get back-logged and when you look at some of the DX-peditions who get 30,000 plus cards...it does take time but most of the managers (and remember its all volunteer) do one heck of a job to answer the cards. I dont have the answer to why some dont answer after a reasonable time and 2nd requests...

Its nice to know though that you do include the Buck to assist in postage...thats great! Personally I qsl all direct cards as quick as I can if the added "assistance" is in the envelope..If not..well due to the high cost of postage here (2.00 airmail to USA) it may take abit longer before I can afford to send some out..but it does get returned the same way I got it. As far as Buro cards....that's another kettle of fries to discuss...its a great system but slow and does work...Im still catching up from last year still..Hi

So just have a sense of humor about it Vince..somehow it all works out! (although I like to know what happened to my Clipperton QSL from the 1960's..Im still waiting Hi)

These commments come from someone who has been on both sides of the QSL world..as a WA3 and now a ZL3..

CUL de Bill ZL3NB
N9AI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2002, 01:37:40 PM »

There is always the chance that when you send money to eastern Europe, Russia, Africa and some parts of Asia, that your money will be stolen and the recipient will never see your mail. In fact, there is a very good chance of this- the people in those countries make very little money in comparison to those of us in the west and while $2.00 isn't much to us, it can mean a great many meals to someone making $15.00 a month or less. There are techniques to try to avoid theft, such as not putting callsigns on the envelope, etc., but it doesn't take too long for corrupt postal workers to figure out who gets money in envelopes, no matter what is written on them.

You may take exception to WA4DOU's comments, but the fact is, if you're going to work DX and try to QSL, you're not going to get some cards back. Ever. That is a DX fact of life. If you get 80% of your foreign-sent direct cards back, you're doing very, very well. I rarely bother sending cards direct to stations or managers in the above mentioned areas, unless it's VERY rare. I'll either wait for an expedition with a Stateside manager or I'll use the bureau for those areas served.

Good luck getting your card, but remember: DXing wouldn't be nearly as fun or challenging without the frustration.

Scott, N9AI

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2002, 08:41:25 PM »

3D2CY Card arrived today 10/21/02!!!....after a year long wait!....Thanks YT1AD....as for Z32AU, well I think no further comment is necessary!......Thanks for all the advice guys, but no matter what anyone ses, WAITING SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!....

CUL

Vince P
ROMEO X-RAY!!!!!!!

G0GDU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2002, 10:22:44 AM »

Cant comment on the specific set of circumstances but it should be recognised that cards sent through the bureau take time to get through the system. After all it is a cheap way of distributing cards and not intended to be a next day delivery service.

If you are trying for a QSL from a dx-pedition, then allow much more time for your cards to be returned. Lets face it, if the QSL manager as a log with say 30,000+ entries, it is likely that it will take some time to print and write out the cards even when you send direct.

It is very important to get the call and the QSL information correct. I've heard some stations in QSO with dx-pedition station who did not manage to use the call correct. I've received cards for special event stations where the call was not cortect, in this case I return the card after adding the comment that the QSO is not in the log.  

When I send cards direct I avoid writing call signs on the envelope and use IRC's rather than Green Stamps. IRC's have less of a commercial value and can only be used for one purpose. One should also bear in mind that it is illegal for foreign currency to be sent to and used in some countries.

Unfortunately in all walks of life there are some who are less honest than the majority. If you send green stamps to these sort of individuals then the chance of getting a card back is going to be very slim. Perhaps we should have a web site where we can post the calls of stations who are known never to QSL.

From my own experience as QSL manager for a Scout special event station in 1998 (GB98RH) nearly 4000 cards (100% QSL) were written and distributed within 3 months of the station close.

To date less than 1500 cards have been received in return. Some have been returned as being SK or the station not having envelopes lodged with the bureau.

In some cases where I have sent IRC's and green stamps the other station has returned these along with the card.  

On the whole operators in what are considered to be the poorer parts of the world have come close to a 100% response.

Of the 650+ cards sent to the USA less than 200 have so far been received in return. How about it fellows, if you ask for cards why not be prepared to collect them from the bureau and respond in kind.

John
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2002, 10:27:41 PM »

I have sent a few [very polite] email messages to a couple of DX stations that did not return a QSL after a year - and these were direct ones that contained an IRC or Green Stamp (or two).

Anyway, with an email asking if the DX op received my QSL and IRC/Green Stamp, I found a few that hadn't (probably ripped off), and a few where the person was backlogged, and one where I found that I had sent an IRC and that it was being returned because IRC's aren't good in all countries.

I did have one stateside QSL manager that seemed to have way over extended himself - he even admitted that for a pretty rare Caribbean station he hadn't done a thing QSL wise for that op in over 6 months! He was too busy handling multiple dx-peditions. Hmmmmmm.

Rich
N1IZP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2003, 06:08:08 PM »

Apparently YOU'VE never been on the other side of sending out QSL cards!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: