The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has CB radio reached the end of the road?  (Read 30685 times)
K1ZJH

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2015, 04:30:49 PM »

Several years ago I heard a bit of chatter from the Springfield Ma and Hartford CT areas on CB radio...  most of this was Spanish chatter... and of course there was the cowboy skip activities out of the southern states.  I've listening around the 26 to 28 MHz band in the past few days, and there has been NO activity, neither local or skip!  I have decent antennas for the HF region, including log periodic antennas, verticals, and dipoles... but CB activity has been NIL?  Is there solar activity, or has interest in CB finally died a dignified death?

Just curious..

Pete
VK3DWZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 05:23:05 PM »

Please don't mention C.B. Radio anywhere.  Good riddance!
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 06:13:01 PM »

S9 magazine (main magazine for hobby) died in early 1990s (no advertisers or enough subscribers).
RadioShack (nationally) stopped carrying CB equipment, a few years later.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »

CB is still a means of communication that can be useful in some circumstances. Everyone needs some kind alternate means of communication when the cell towers go out in a storm. CB is cheap and available nearly everywhere.

In an emergency, non hams can use CB to communicate out to few miles. Hams could have a CB in the vehicle to talk to non hams, in some emergency situation. And on a daily basis, CB is great for finding the latest the road conditions and traffic jam info from the truckers.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 06:36:58 PM »

has interest in CB finally died a dignified death?

Yes and no. Many have moved up to no code ham radio so it lives on on a different band plan.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K1EBU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 06:46:20 PM »

Hi Pete. I live about a 1/4 mile from the Mass pike. The truckers still use channel 19.Hear em all the time. Other then that a few Spanish speaking fellows and some potty mouth individuals on channels 6 and 22 here in western MA. I have 3 CB rigs in the shack and I can't say I've keyed up any of them in years. Used to be a group of older hams who were getting on at 4:30-5:00 AM on channel 14. Not sure if they are still on at those early times. I've got a nice 12 watt SSB Base wouldn't mind putting on 10 meters.
PS        1 of the characters on channel 22 was bragging about keeping his shack warm with the Heath SB220 he runs. Nice huh... 73  Gary
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 11:56:31 PM »

CB is still a means of communication that can be useful in some circumstances. Everyone needs some kind alternate means of communication when the cell towers go out in a storm. CB is cheap and available nearly everywhere.

In an emergency, non hams can use CB to communicate out to few miles. Hams could have a CB in the vehicle to talk to non hams, in some emergency situation. And on a daily basis, CB is great for finding the latest the road conditions and traffic jam info from the truckers.

Cell phone use while driving is illegal here in California. The law includes big rigs. Getting busted entails a huge fine and probably loss of job for a trucker. So the truckers use CB, ch 6 mainly. I hear Mexican CB skip (the Spanish language tx's) too. No real lid activity, seems that all the CB lids got bored and moved on. I have an old Realistic Navaho that I fire up from time to time. I got it for $25 off Craigslist, can you believe that ebayers want around $70-80?
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 04:32:29 AM »

As a person who owns an RV and traveled, I always had a CB in my truck. It still comes in handy for traffic info, plus mine has NOAA programed in. They are also used by RV's who caravan, meaning several RV's traveling in a group.  My wife recently passed away, so the RV is now up for sale and those days are behind me, but I still plan on traveling since my son and his family live several states away, and I'll still have a CB in my vehicle.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 03:40:36 PM »

Superbowl. 27.025MHz. No chance of that venue going away anytime soon. Thank goodness. It's a propagation indicator at the very least.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 04:02:17 PM »

Have not clicked on a CB since the 90s. I believe it's good to have a license free service. I just lack the patience for daytime skip.
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 04:30:52 PM »

Never owned or operated a CB....sorry, can't help you there...but I suspect with the poor propagation numbers, you may just not be hearing much on 10 meters or 11 meters anyway....

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 05:00:42 PM »

Boggles my mind that some radio amateurs claim to be unaware or underinformed about a radio spectrum that was once part of amateur radio and has for decades driven a huge industry. It was a cultural phenomena in the 70's and 80's. Some of these amateurs actually ping these forums about how to mod ham rigs to go 11m. Meanwhile, the absolutely largest yet illegal hobby radio transmitters live on 11m. Some of the most powerful HF hobby AM transmitters live on 11m. CB competitions are taken seriously, and the ops go to great expense and lengths to create superstitions. All illegal.

KZ8O is by FCC decree, illegal. I heard him on the air today on 14.313. What's the difference?  The average 11m high power AM station makes KZ8O's station sound like a toy.

I guess in my warped view of the radio hobby, a guy should know or learn the specifics and history of RF spectrum territory, or hang it up.

Pretending CB doesn't exist is asinine.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 05:12:49 PM by K5TED » Logged
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 06:44:36 PM »

As of this day, I'll bet there is as much ham gear operating on 11mtrs, as there is on all the ham bands combined.
I've heard hundreds of CB sidebanders using high end ham gear such as Yaesu 1000, 2000, 5000, 9000's by the dozens. More dozens I've heard are on ICOM 7800, 7700, 7600, etc.
Alpha amps, big multi-multi pill SS amps (spatterbox).
As I listened to these guys, I found myself wishing I could afford a ham station that was as fine high end as those I heard. Allot of radio gear for use only on one band.
HAMMYGUY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 06:29:49 AM »

On my trip to Dayton this year I was amazed at the lack of activity on CB.   Lots of skip of course, but the CB got very active near Laramie WY when I-80 became closed due to snow. 

A few truckers yakking on I-70 the but otherwise it was very quiet. 

They're out there, just not to the level of the 70's and 80's. 
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 08:42:29 AM »

Whoa!!  I don't operate CB, except for the pair of single-channel three-transistor handheld  walkies I got for Christmas when I was eleven.  They could cover at least 300 feet!  Great for DX.

I don't own a CB rig, even though my Paragon II could be used on any HF frequency, I don't have a need or desire to.  But, there is a HQ-150 right next to my computer desk, and it is my daily player.  I'll often scan the bands, and just happened to notice that CB activity has taken an nose dive... perhaps the bands have been closed. To be honest, I just had two Mitsubishi heat pump systems installed in my home, and I was warned that inverter driven compressor motors might be a source of ten meter interference--so for the past few weeks I've watching any signs of garbage on the upper HF bands.

On another note, this all begs the question, why are illegal CB amps still being sold? Where the heck is the market, or need? Maybe back in 1977, but who'd buy that junk today?

Pete

BTW, so far no signs of problems with heat pumps.  The HQ-150 uses a dipole that is closest to the house.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:46:32 AM by K1ZJH » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: