The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has CB radio reached the end of the road?  (Read 30738 times)
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2015, 04:08:49 AM »

Very little activity SW Connecticut. At least I don't hear it. I can't contact anybody on 10 and hear nobody. Not even a beacon.

FCC violators. The bottom line is the odds of getting busted. FCC on every corner ?

I wish I could talk intelligent to somebody on 11. Make use of some cb radios that can be cheap and un-modifiable to 10. Again...hear little....
N1GMV

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2015, 08:39:40 AM »

CB back in the 70's-80's were good times. Met a lot of people. Got to speak whats on your mind without the Politically Correct police coming down on you.  Yep, I loved CB and what it represented back then. I got my Ham ticket and although I enjoy what it offers, I do miss the good ole CB Days when everyone and their neighbor had one in the house, car and boat.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2015, 11:38:58 AM »

CB Radio was the internet in our time in the 70's and 80's.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2015, 12:07:44 PM »

. Make use of some cb radios that can be cheap and un-modifiable to 10.

I've done it. Modify an "unmodifyable" CB to 10. Changed the master crystal to one approx 29/27 times the original frequency.  Had to deal with the first IF frequency being different.   See
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,102089.0.html
It made a fairly lousy 10 meter handheld though...   Wink
K8QV

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2015, 05:41:29 PM »

I hope it's not the end for CB. It's a lot more useful on a road trip than any amateur band. Poke fun all you want, but don't forget that amateur radio has it's share of assholes too.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2015, 08:58:36 AM »

Well, I never intended for this to be an "us against them" sort of discussion!!! I was born in 1948, and I was always interested in electronics--starting with simple crystal radio kits.  My first radio was a pair of three transistor walkie talkies.... super-regen receivers that did double duty as very basic AM modulated transmitters.  They'd cover a few hundred feet at best. The only person I ever talked to was my mom, who bought me the pair! That had to be back in the very early 1960's, God rest her soul... she passed at age 54, cancer....   Cry

But I also remember that CB was a lot more popular, and that MOST operators were courteous and well mannered.  None of the cowboy/trucker personas that destroyed the CB bands in the 1970's. CB had its era.  Even at when the image of CB was being tarnished, they would hold coffee breaks at major highway rest stops.

All I see these days is a general decline of activity for most radio related hobby ventures.  Two meter FM has died... packet radio is another victim.  I sense that VHF SSB/CW activity is now limited to only the most popular contests.  Rag chewing seems to be a lost art, except for the efforts of a few other old farts who try to keep tradition alive.

Pete
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2015, 12:01:33 PM »

I don't think CB radio will disappear entirely because despite the LID culture that surrounds it, it does have utility.  I have a friend who owns a large farm in Illinois, they use CB radios to communicate and he has several of them all over the farm and in the vehicles.  They are inexpensive, rugged, and they work very well over about five square miles of farm land.

I have an old 40 channel CB that I picked up at a hamfest for $10.00.  It is in a box in my basement in case I ever need an emergency radio.  That's really about all they are good for anymore.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2015, 08:19:01 AM »

I don't think CB radio will disappear entirely because despite the LID culture that surrounds it, it does have utility.  I have a friend who owns a large farm in Illinois, they use CB radios to communicate and he has several of them all over the farm and in the vehicles.  They are inexpensive, rugged, and they work very well over about five square miles of farm land.

I have an old 40 channel CB that I picked up at a hamfest for $10.00.  It is in a box in my basement in case I ever need an emergency radio.  That's really about all they are good for anymore.

I recommend that everyone put a CB in their vehicles. Stuff it under the seat with a cheap antenna and a cigarette lighter plug and you can be on the air in under a minute if need be.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2015, 05:44:40 PM »

Why not a ham FM rig as well? Hundreds of FM repeaters, all under utilized..

Which begs the question--who is listening to what frequency for emergency calls??

I remember seeing highway signs stating that Channel 19 was being monitored.... is that still true today??

How many hams are sitting on 146.52, or on the local repeater in case assistance is needed?  I suspect we've been obsoleted by cellphones and more modern technology.

Pete
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: