The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has CB radio reached the end of the road?  (Read 28467 times)
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2015, 07:01:12 PM »

On another note, this all begs the question, why are illegal CB amps still being sold? Where the heck is the market, or need? Maybe back in 1977, but who'd buy that junk today?

You might find this hard to believe, but there are many CBers active on the bands and there is a huge market for underground amplifiers and modified ham transceivers.  There is a whole popular subculture, mainly popular in rural SE America, but also in places like Hawaii, where they just mount excessively large antennas on their vehicles and do "radio checks" with the aim of receiving a response from as far away as possible.

Almost daily there is one particular guy from Hawaii who can be copied here at my shack in Oregon, who carries on conversations with people as far away as Texas and Oklahoma, and those people are copyable here.  I bet they are all burning a kilowatt, and they are all truckers.

They stay in their band, so it's not the end of my world if they are running 3000 watts.  I have never seen 'em splatter into the amateur bands anyway.  Live and let live.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2015, 08:28:44 PM »

Lots of CB activity in the Dallas Tx area also most all if the time. Lots of big truck stops in the area too.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2015, 10:47:09 PM »

If anything was going to enforced on CB, they would probably go after those 5000 watt "Super Bowl" stations on Channel 6. They would target the big fish, the biggest offenders first. Then they would go after the dealers that sell "Export CB" rigs that are only legal in Upper Slobovia.  

There have been a couple FCC busts of dealers selling 11m linears. One dealer was working out of a trucker's plaza in Texas, selling linears to truckers. The others were online sellers. Here in CA ch 6 is used by truckers. I have not really heard any blaster stations on CB.

Actually, I DO think I'm hearing blaster skip on ch 6. It always seems to be the same guy, and he talks about Georgia (the state) a lot. I've heard him elsewhere on CB.

Also, somebody said that truckers use 17. I would like to ask what ch truckers use on Interstate 5 and US 97. I will probably be up that way, towards Klamath Falls and Bend, several times in 2016 and would like to know what ch I should use.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2015, 04:01:48 AM »

Channel 19 is still the most used by commercial truck drivers. Also you can hear truck stop CB shops advertising linears for sale. Also you can hear individuals who are always on 19 selling them also.
PITSWL

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2015, 06:06:23 AM »

Lots of CB activity in the Dallas Tx area also most all if the time. Lots of big truck stops in the area too.

There is an enormous amount of activity in northeast PA, NYC and northern NJ.

"Section 97.101(d) prohibits ALL amateur licensees from causing harmful interference, and does not provide ANY exception for interference caused to other amateurs whom the interferer believes have violated a Commission rule." - DA 16-877 at 17
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2015, 06:21:11 AM »

You might find this hard to believe, but there are many CBers active on the bands and there is a huge market for underground amplifiers and modified ham transceivers.  There is a whole popular subculture, mainly popular in rural SE America, but also in places like Hawaii, where they just mount excessively large antennas on their vehicles and do "radio checks" with the aim of receiving a response from as far away as possible.

Almost daily there is one particular guy from Hawaii who can be copied here at my shack in Oregon, who carries on conversations with people as far away as Texas and Oklahoma, and those people are copyable here.  I bet they are all burning a kilowatt, and they are all truckers.

Gee...I can work 10M E and F layer skip all day long with 10w PEP output from my FT-726R/TS-660/TS-130V side of the shack, and have worked DXCC plus from my car by using an HR-2510 into a 1/4w bumper-mount whip.

What makes the 11M crowd so special that they have to run kilowatts even to DX?
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2015, 07:14:49 AM »

Gee...I can work 10M E and F layer skip all day long with 10w PEP output from my FT-726R/TS-660/TS-130V side of the shack, and have worked DXCC plus from my car by using an HR-2510 into a 1/4w bumper-mount whip.

Because they can?

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2015, 09:09:21 AM »

Maybe it is band conditions, but I still don't hear squat for activity on the CB or Freeband frequencies. Nothing like the activity that was present several years ago. Again, the Spanish chatter in the Hartford, CT and Springfield, MA has been absent for several years.  I am sure there are pockets of activity, but here in the Northeast CB is DEAD. DEAD. DEAD.  Maybe the current sunspot activity has something to do with this?  But, local activity is virtually non-existent.  I have no dog in this fight, except for the illegal crap that I have heard on the low end of Ten Meters in the past years.

Pete
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2015, 01:15:22 PM »

The fact that they do it every day, winter and summer, rain or shine, without any apparent care in the world about the ionosphere.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2015, 02:07:59 PM »

In Britain on the UK 40 channels, there is a lot that just sit on 19 (27.78125) and dont have the brain cells to QSY. So they need the amplifiers to talk to their mates at the other side of town.

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2015, 02:08:02 AM »

In Britain on the UK 40 channels, there is a lot that just sit on 19 (27.78125) and dont have the brain cells to QSY. So they need the amplifiers to talk to their mates at the other side of town.
   When the conditions are good, I hear quite a few UK CBers right here in the USA on FM!
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2015, 03:57:16 AM »

I would like to point out that back in the day, late 1980s / early 1990s when skip was good due to solar activity, there was a place in Citizen Band where you could move away from the riff raff.  When you went up to the higher channels 30-40 and operated SSB with good skip you could call CQ DX and make some good contacts.  I remember doing England on only 12 watts SSB on one of the upper CB channels.  There were better people on SSB away from the lower channel AM nonsense.  It just depended on where you were at and what you did.  12 watt SSB was perfectly legal and with a good directional antenna it was possible to work a lot of far off places.  I cut my teeth on that stuff.  We were always very polite and I met a lot of well mannered people.  That being said, I haven't turned on a CB radio in over 20 years.  

12 W PEP may be perfectly legal, but there is the FCC rule that prohibits CB communications beyond 155 miles.  

§ 95.413   (CB Rule 13) What communications are prohibited

(a) You must NOT use a CB station-

(9) to communicate with, or ATTEMPT to communicate with, any CB station more than 155.3 miles (250 kilometers) away;

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2009-title47-vol5/pdf/CFR-2009-title47-vol5-part95.pdf

SWL2002 – You know I just have to say that I really appreciate you pointing out that FCC reg in response to my comment.  It reminded me of the reg and come to think of it, I do remember it now.  I also distinctly remember the conversation with the contact in England now, from all those years ago.  I think it went something like this…  “CQ CQ CQ DX, DX meaning anyone a long ways away but just under 155.3 miles from zipcode XXXXX. “

“Hello this is so-and-so in England, what was your location again?”

“Oh my gosh, you’re just too far away so I am sorry I will have to talk to someone closer.  But thank you for replying.”

Thank goodness I just dodged that bullet!  Darn that ol ionosphere.

Many guys on this forum are fond of pointing out the Part 97 rules, even the ones that don't make sense, and expecting you to abide strictly by the rules.  It should not be any different for Part 95.
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2015, 09:10:21 AM »

They stay in their band, so it's not the end of my world if they are running 3000 watts.  I have never seen 'em splatter into the amateur bands anyway.  Live and let live.

Some invade the spectra just above and just below the CB band.  "Freebanders".  And mess up the valid users of those frequencies. 
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2015, 07:08:39 PM »

Some invade the spectra just above and just below the CB band.  "Freebanders".  And mess up the valid users of those frequencies. 

Then, by definition, they aren't 'CBers' are they? Some amateur radio operators operate at band edges during contests with no regard to regulations, spilling over into other allocations with impunity.
KE0ETZ

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »

I would like to point out that back in the day, late 1980s / early 1990s when skip was good due to solar activity, there was a place in Citizen Band where you could move away from the riff raff.  When you went up to the higher channels 30-40 and operated SSB with good skip you could call CQ DX and make some good contacts.  I remember doing England on only 12 watts SSB on one of the upper CB channels.  There were better people on SSB away from the lower channel AM nonsense.  It just depended on where you were at and what you did.  12 watt SSB was perfectly legal and with a good directional antenna it was possible to work a lot of far off places.  I cut my teeth on that stuff.  We were always very polite and I met a lot of well mannered people.  That being said, I haven't turned on a CB radio in over 20 years.  
SWL2002 you are preaching to the choir my man, preaching to the choir.  Please take a moment and share in detail the regulations again.  Specifically in regards to the maximum distance you are allowed to communicate using Citizen Band and within the legal power limit.  Set the cruise to exactly 54.9 mph and tell me all about it.

12 W PEP may be perfectly legal, but there is the FCC rule that prohibits CB communications beyond 155 miles.  

§ 95.413   (CB Rule 13) What communications are prohibited

(a) You must NOT use a CB station-

(9) to communicate with, or ATTEMPT to communicate with, any CB station more than 155.3 miles (250 kilometers) away;

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2009-title47-vol5/pdf/CFR-2009-title47-vol5-part95.pdf

SWL2002 – You know I just have to say that I really appreciate you pointing out that FCC reg in response to my comment.  It reminded me of the reg and come to think of it, I do remember it now.  I also distinctly remember the conversation with the contact in England now, from all those years ago.  I think it went something like this…  “CQ CQ CQ DX, DX meaning anyone a long ways away but just under 155.3 miles from zipcode XXXXX. “

“Hello this is so-and-so in England, what was your location again?”

“Oh my gosh, you’re just too far away so I am sorry I will have to talk to someone closer.  But thank you for replying.”

Thank goodness I just dodged that bullet!  Darn that ol ionosphere.

Many guys on this forum are fond of pointing out the Part 97 rules, even the ones that don't make sense, and expecting you to abide strictly by the rules.  It should not be any different for Part 95.

SWL2002 you are preaching to the choir my man, preaching to the choir.  Please take a moment and share in detail the regulations again.  Specifically in regards to the maximum distance you are allowed to communicate using Citizen Band and within the legal power limit.  Set the cruise to exactly 54.9 mph and tell me all about it.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: