The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Retiring from dumb religious operating system feuds  (Read 11929 times)
K5NOK

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2015, 11:17:58 AM »

True. But even storage is shifting.
The "Cloud" is still a buzzword
And It still freaks me out a little to think that my data could be stored on a server in Iceland (cloud storage).
But the storage company EMC is now offering cloud storage that does that very thing...though maybe not in Iceland.
As the Cloud works out it's security issues we may all go away from in house devices and use the "Cloud"
How many of us now use google drive, Gmail and documents?
I use the QRZ logging, which is cloud logging.

You can access those from any low powered phone or tablet from any street corner.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2015, 11:25:11 AM »

My primary storage is on my laptop. I subscribe to a backup service in the "cloud". It provides and off-site backup for my data. I use Dropbox for a few things that I want available via phone, tablet, laptop. Radio Manuals for example are on Dropbox. I don't use that type of storage for important things though. I am waiting for the online storage to stabilize somewhat. Right now, it's a moving target and I don't want all my data on something that I can't predict is going to look like next week.

I went though this with my photos. I tried the online services. I found out that I could upload them, but when I wanted one back, I could not get the original hi-res file back. Just a lower res image. Not acceptable for my own photos that I take and own. So they are all on my local hard drive being backed-up.

K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2015, 08:32:12 AM »

So many have hit the nail on the head. It's not about the OS it's about the apps you run.

A good analogy might be a car. They all get you where you want to go and back. That equals the OS (drivetrain, brakes, lights, the basics).

The apps are the "accessories" that are added to the OS (car). XM, cruise control, AC, power everything else listed in the window sticker.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2015, 11:58:27 AM »

Personally, I think the OS is important, too. It is the OS, or at least the shell, that dictates how you access applications, how memory is managed, which file systems are used. Some consider OS price to be important. Some consider environment customization important. And yes, I realize if there is a particular application (or several) you need, it can't be replaced and it only runs on one OS, that pretty much makes the decision.

Right now, I am trying t decide whether to stay opensuse, or move to Debian testing. I am extremely happy to have the choice.

Rick KK4GGL
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2015, 12:25:04 PM »

Yep arguing with Mr. Anonymous is always a waste of time.  Lesson to all is avoid anyone who does not have the balls to put their call sign next to their posts. (Assuming they have one  Wink )

Ah,  I see our resident Troll SWL2002 is back at it.   At first I thought even though not a ham he had
some constructive offerings give to the forum.  But then it became apparent his goal is to antagonize and
provoke us to get our reaction.  Now I look at his posts as a source of entertainment.   Grin Grin

Bob
K6UJ

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: