The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cluster spots with networked computers  (Read 2980 times)
F5VLY

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2015, 04:00:27 AM »

Gentlemen,

I currently have one pc (win7) running cw skimmer that was used to feed spots to the Reverse Beacon Network connected to the internet, my second pc i use for logging and contesting runs on winXP and as such it is no longer connected to the internet.

My question is, as i would like to see spots from the TELNET to Logger32/Wintest is there a way to feed the XP pc from the win7 without it being exposed to the internet?

Regards Adrian
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 04:26:47 AM »

Hi Adrian,

for WinTest only the easiest solution would be running wtDxTelnet on the Win7 machine and let it broadcast the packet spots into a separate network between the Win7 PC and the WinXP PC (with separate network adapters).

A generic solution can easily be achieved with a little helper program called "socat". It allows to "bridge" between two arbitrary connections, and running on the Win7 PC it would allow to forward a port to an external DX cluster without much hassle.

On the Win7 computer, just run in a command line:
Code:
socat TCP:ve7cc.net:23 TCP-LISTEN:12345,reuseaddr

(replace ve7cc.net:23 with whatever cluster you like to connect to) and on the WinXP computer connect to the Win7-PC on port 12345. socat will then establish a bidirectional tunnel to the DX cluster.

Socat is only available in source form from the author (http://www.dest-unreach.org/socat/) so you either need to compile it yourself or download it from a source you trust (e.g. Heise, http://www.heise.de/download/socat-1180978.html).

Fabian

F5VLY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 04:44:49 AM »

Hi Fabian,

thanks for the info, using the method you have described, is the XP machine 'safe' from the internet, my worry is as Microsoft no longer support XP, is this machine protected from virus's etc ? my reason for not connecting the XP machine directly to the internet !

Vln danke Adrian
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 06:01:47 AM »

thanks for the info, using the method you have described, is the XP machine 'safe' from the internet, my worry is as Microsoft no longer support XP, is this machine protected from virus's etc ? my reason for not connecting the XP machine directly to the internet !

If you use a dedicated network adapter in the Win 7 PC which connects only to the Win XP box, and you configure them to reside in a separate network (e. g. using the IPs 192.168.100.1 for Win 7 and 192.168.100.2 for Win XP, whereas your normal home network may be something like 192.168.1.x), nothing should happen. The tunnel which socat provides only lives for one connection, as soon as one side closes it (e. g. you close the telnet application on the WinXP machine or the DX cluster throws you out), the tunnel is gone and you need to restart it.

Just make sure you have ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) disabled on the Win 7 PC: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-internet-connection-sharing#1TC=windows-7

For development work (e. g. to talk to FPGA boards which I need to operate separately from the network), I am often using USB-Ethernet dongles, which are cheap and easy to install; that would be a suitable choice for the 2nd network adapter in your Win7 box, too.

F5VLY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 08:04:04 AM »

Fabian,

thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it, will give this a go this week to see if i can get it to work, i have a couple of network adapters already, so hopefully should be easy/cheap to get things up and running !!!

Tschuess Adrian
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 10:15:45 AM »

By the way (and don't ask me why I didn't think of it when I replied initially), the VE7CC user program appears to offer the functionality that you need.

You can install it on your Win7 PC, connect to a DX cluster with it, and let it run as a local server, accessible from the XP computer on a separate network interface.

After launching "CC user", , go to Configuration -> Ports/Logging program and there in the "Logging Program Connection" field you can click "Enable Telnet" and (if desired) select a custom port for this.

The CC user program is free and available at http://ve7cc.net/.

Fabian

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: