Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC756 PROIII with AL-811H amplifier  (Read 620 times)
IZ2HDN

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2007, 01:02:35 AM »

i recently bought the faboulus Icom 756Pro III.I am also waiting for delivery of Ameritron AL811H.Has anybody experience in connecting the two units together?Any suggestion from experienced HAms in using the couple?
Thanks
IZ2 HDN Max
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 07:10:15 AM »

There is a jack on the IC-756Pro III for keying an external amp. However, the maximum voltage is 16 VDC, and the max current is 500 mils. Personally, if I were interfacing these two, I'd use the ALS-704 interface if for no other reason than to be on the safe side.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

IZ2HDN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 07:20:25 AM »

Thanks Alan.
Would you also recommend to use ALC control instead of setting max.pwr out to 70 watts?
73'
Max
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 09:28:39 AM »

Yes. I covered this in a recent article here on eham.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 10:19:18 AM »

I had the 811h/Icom pIII. I keyed it directly and did not have any problem. Most Ameritron amps require 12 volts at 100ma and have a diode across the relay coil to prevent an inductive spike from the relay. A relay interface would be good insurance. I had no problem but some people have.
   I did not use the ALC. If you don't use the ALC you have to be carefull not to overdrive the amp.
   Don WD8PTB
W6NFL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 10:30:05 AM »

You should be just fine going direct from the PROIII to the 811h. The ALS-704 interface really has a 3 fold purpose. First its safer when running older amps which have amp relay specs that warrant the interface. Second, for alot of folks its just an easy way to connect the rig to the amp (your icom is easy however because its just a simple rca jack). Third, its a money maker for Ameritron. In that order IMHO.
Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: