The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Australia on 9580 khz...What's the deal???.....  (Read 14699 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2015, 02:29:08 PM »

Tuned in this morning to find NOTHING!.....Please don't tell me Radio Australia is now in the "Et Tu, Brutus?"...category with all the rest and has gone permanently dark on shortwave???......I read on Glenn Hauser's page that they were having some issues with that transmitter, but that was dated back in January....anyone know what's going on???....Is Radio Australia the latest in a long line of SW fatalities that have been occurring since Auntie Beeb bucked the trend???....please advise....

V
K3NRX

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 06:51:09 PM »

Tuned in this morning to find NOTHING!.....Please don't tell me Radio Australia is now in the "Et Tu, Brutus?"...category with all the rest and has gone permanently dark on shortwave???......I read on Glenn Hauser's page that they were having some issues with that transmitter, but that was dated back in January....anyone know what's going on???....Is Radio Australia the latest in a long line of SW fatalities that have been occurring since Auntie Beeb bucked the trend???....please advise....

V
K3NRX

Looks like it might be the beginning of the end for Radio Australia.  

Per Short-wave.info, their schedule on 9580 is between 0900 and 2058 UTC (2:00 AM to 1:58 PM PDT), mostly in English with some French and Pidgin thrown in there.  All transmissions are beamed at 70 degrees.  They also use 12065 (355 degs) and 12085 (30 degs) during that same time period.

They also use 15420 (30 degs), 15415 (355 degs), and 17840 (70 degs) between 2100 and 0858 UTC (2:00 PM and 1:58 AM PDT) in English and Pidgin.  

All RA transmitters run 100 kW.

And that's it.  Radio New Zealand has also drastically curtailed their shortwave broadcasts.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 08:21:48 PM by WW7KE » Logged

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 06:12:00 AM »

Really hope you are wrong....heard them this morning, as they were nice and strong....back on 9580....hopefully yesterday morning was just a bump in the road.....Radio New Zealand comes in on 15720 at night here with a good signal.....I really hope these both stay on the air....stations going dark on SW is becoming too frequent a trend....and it's a bad one.....

V
K3NRX

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 08:23:45 AM »

Really hope you are wrong....heard them this morning, as they were nice and strong....back on 9580....
V
K3NRX

Dang, do people still listen to shorwave stations on a RADIO? That is so yesterday.

Today's modern SW listener listens on the net, on an iPad running the Tunein App. No fuss, no muss, no multi dollar radio/antenna needed and - - -  NO QRM.

Gosh I wish we could do this for Hamradio. Wait - we can - http://www.hamsphere.com/
Hmm, I wonder if it will work on my ipad? Commuters are so yesterday too.

Vinnie, this is an opportunity for you. Get Hamshere and we will no longer have to listen to you whining about your crummy G5RV and poor band condx...
 Wink Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
AF6WL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 08:41:40 AM »

Dang, do people still listen to shorwave stations on a RADIO? That is so yesterday.

Today's modern SW listener listens on the net, on an iPad running the Tunein App. No fuss, no muss, no multi dollar radio/antenna needed and - - -  NO QRM.

Wink aside ) All very well until the infrastructure fails you:
censorship fire-wall; hotel pay-wall; popular national park with overloaded wifi/cellular and dropped frames ;  beyond coverage out in the wilderness ; camping in a valley; on a boat ; or even at home in a natural disaster etc.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:44:33 AM by AF6WL » Logged
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 08:50:07 AM »

They're on right now 1547utc on 9580kHz @ +20 over 9 here in SFO and a weak s9 on 12085kHz. I cannot get them on 12065 though.
BTW I am one of a ton of folks who still listen to SW. Screw the internet stuff it's more fun getting stuff the hard way.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 02:27:22 PM »

Wonder what happened on Sunday Morning (evening for them).....oh well, my guess is it was a tech glitch.....as for you, Stosh....c'mon man...you know all that new fangled modern tech crap is not the same as the old school way.....where you have to subscribe and dump a wad of cash to listen.....and it eats up your data......plus, you know it wouldn't be the same if I weren't on here bitching and moaning about the lousy conditions.....LOL.....VIVA SHORTWAVE RADIO......bye now!..... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink............

V
K3NRX

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 10:05:50 PM »

17840 is fading in and out, but audible, in Arizona as I write this (0505Z)

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 10:14:31 PM »

Might have been conditions. I've noticed them being mediocre lately. Even on 31 and 49 meters.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 08:15:57 AM »

Might have been conditions. I've noticed them being mediocre lately. Even on 31 and 49 meters.

Or the built-in whip on my Grundig Satellit 750 inside my stucco-encrusted house. Grin

But I was surprised I heard anything at all on 16 meters that time of night, especially when the lower bands were pretty dead other than US religious stations.  Being in a mountain-foothills area, where my neighborhood is over 100 feet higher in altitude than the area to our immediate west, may help in that direction.

K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 09:28:29 AM »

Really hope you are wrong....heard them this morning, as they were nice and strong....back on 9580....
V
K3NRX

Today's modern SW listener listens on the net, on an iPad running the Tunein App. No fuss, no muss, no multi dollar radio/antenna needed and - - -  NO QRM.

Gosh I wish we could do this for Hamradio. Wait - we can - http://www.hamsphere.com/
Hmm, I wonder if it will work on my ipad? Commuters are so yesterday too.

Vinnie, this is an opportunity for you. Get Hamshere and we will no longer have to listen to you whining about your crummy G5RV and poor band condx...
 Wink Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
    What a waste of bandwidth ^ .
K9RJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 08:43:29 AM »

Rocking in on 9.580 now - 15:43 in San Francisco Area. 59+ will 30 meter low dipole.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 07:05:53 PM »

Same here in Birmingham, AL.  S9+10 on 9580 this morning at 1400Z.  Really enjoyed Australian Country music. More like Bluegrass with excellent musicians, not like the whiny stuff here.

According to their website they're beaming to the South Pacific.  New Caledonia, et al.  Well, if I ran 100kW into either a rhombic or sterba curtain, I'd probably be heard around the globe too.....  "-)
KB8DNS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 04:37:29 AM »

Band conditions have been lousy with the Solar flares recently, long periods of low signals with some heavy noise.

73 Rod KB8NDS
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 09:26:53 AM »

Really enjoyed Australian Country music. More like Bluegrass with excellent musicians, not like the whiny stuff here.

I'll have to check out Australian country music. Whiny U.S. country/pop doesn't do it for me either. And some of the best rock music you'll find comes from Australia - Paul Kelly, Midnight Oil, and Courtney Barnett to name a few.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: