Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reception Problems  (Read 829 times)
N1PNS

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2003, 12:16:55 AM »

I have been getting terrible reception on my shortwave USB and SSB bands on my radio.  I find that I can no longer receive the reception that I use to receive. Lot of static.  Is there something happening within the atmosphere at this time of the year to prevent me from receiving the good signals that I use to receive?  I use a dipole antenna which is still in good condition. What can I do to improve my reception? Any suggestions or comments will be welcomed.

Jim
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2003, 07:47:50 AM »

Conditions for DXing have been just plain horrible for the past week or so, so your receiver and antenna are probably okay.  There have been many significant solar flares, and the "A" and "K" indices have been high, indicating disturbed conditions.  There is a good web site for tracking propagation at QSL.net.  The bad conditions are partly seasonal, as ionospheric absorption increases as Summer approaches.  Not to worry, though, as conditions will improve again in the Fall.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2003, 06:10:39 PM »

Conditions will improve a little bit in the fall, but don't expect miracles.  The predictions are that the decline of solar cycle 23 will continue and won't actually bottom out for about another 25 months (2+ years), at which point they'll likely reach a minima and then start improving again.

In the meantime, propagation on frequencies below 10 MHz has been quite good...I'm spending more time on 40 and less time on 17, that's for sure!

WB2WIK/6
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2003, 11:21:40 AM »

I have experienced the same thing since about the end of February. It sure is reflected in the sunspot numbers and indexes.

I thought my MA5B died since the noise figure on all bands seemed to invert starting in March (more noise than signal).

I then installed a Force-12 Sigma 5 GT, and then I could work SO5X and a TY and JY station. I think what happened is the MA5B and my horizontal dipole received high angle noise caused by the recent solar eruptions and wind, and the vertical did much better in rejecting that high angle noise - since it has a TO angle of about 20 degrees.

Now I switch between a vertical and horizontal antenna with these sliding conditions.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2003, 08:32:45 PM »

Band conditions are down, look at the DX spotts to see which bands are active at which time.. 73  tom N6AJR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: