The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRD and IC-756 Pro 3  (Read 2175 times)
N4ECM

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2015, 05:08:56 PM »

Hi everyone.  I'm new to digital modes though I've been hamming for 36+ years.  I recently retired and am trying new stuff and wanting to get back to some CW as well.  My problem right now is how to get the IC-756 Pro 3 to connect to HRD (free version--will get paid one if this works well.)

I have a SignaLink USB connected and have made a couple of contacts on BPSK31 on 20m.  It is connected to ACC1, 8-pin DIN on the 756 and to a USB port on the computer.  (I used ACC2 for hooking up the amplifier.)  There is no RS-232 port on my computer, only USB, HDMI, etc.  How do I get HRD to connect with the 756?  Do I need the CT-17, CIV Level Converter from Icom or can I connect through the Signalink connection somehow for this?  I would like to connect my computer for more control and logging.  My computer is an HP laptop, Pavilion dv7, Windows 7x64, 6GB RAM, i7 Intel Quad core @1.6GHz.

Thanks for any help and advice.
Don, N4ECM
AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 05:22:17 PM »

Pretty sure you will need a USB to CI-V adapter if you want to control the radio. I would strongly suggest something with a FTDI chipset such ashttp://www.amazon.com/Valley-Enterprises-Chipset-Two-Way-Programming/dp/B004L0T4UM. Other places have similar adapters. Stay away from adapters with a prolific chipset too many counterfit ones out there.

Todd
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 05:57:52 PM »

Yes what Todd said, you need a converter cable.
Also save yourself some work and get the 30 day trial version of HRD 6 after you get the cable, that way you don't have to configure and learn the setup twice.  The new version is light years ahead of the old version and has a lot of changes in configuration and operation.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
N4ECM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 08:24:15 PM »

So then you're saying I need to buy the Icom CT-17 interface? (They say you need to supply RS-232C cable from CT-17 to your computer.  I assume I could get a cable with the RS-232C on one end and a USB on the other that will plug into my computer?) Since there is no USB port on the IC-756 Pro 3, I assume this is the only way to get HRD to connect?

Thanks, but still not sure exactly what I need.  I don't necessarily want complete rig control, just basic control as HRD would allow.
AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 10:03:57 PM »

Forget about the ICOM CT-17 interface unless you want to control more then one radio at a time. Just get the cable I linked or similar. It will go from your computer's USB port direct to the CI-V port on the radio. I also second getting the newest version of HRD.

Todd
N4ECM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 10:22:28 PM »

Ok, great!  thanks a lot.  I really didn't want to spend $145 for the Icom CT-17.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: