The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar Power  (Read 1358 times)
CAPNGADGET

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2015, 07:01:20 PM »

Hi there all. I am a new ham and want the availability to transmit and receive when the power goes out. I have all the solar equipment necessary (panel, controller, battery, inverter) to do this but I would like to know how to hook it to my rig. Do I plug the rig's power supply into the inverter or do I feed the rig directly from from the (12 volt) battery?
Appreciating any input folks can give.
VA3OOZ
N7BMW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 11:01:59 PM »

You would want to feed 12 volts directly from the battery to the rig.  There is no point to stepping the voltage up to 110 VAC and then back down to 12 VDC - that would waste a lot of power.

Does your solar power charge controller create RFI?  Many do so you need to experiment/research your charge controller.

The next question is how long do you expect the power outages to be and how long you want to operate off the battery.  You can turn down the RF output power to conserve battery power. 

You may also want to consider a 12 volt booster to stabilize the battery voltage driving the radio.  Many radios expect to see 13.8 volts for optimum performance.  These boosters provide a constant voltage as the battery voltage declines.  I have one on my sailboat and it is very helpful. 
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 05:48:06 AM »

I recommend the 12 volt booster too.

Reviews Summary for N8XJK 12Volt Boost Regulator
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6449

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: