The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the THRILL in APRS???  (Read 90640 times)
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2017, 01:52:01 PM »

Satellite APRS is an excellent way for mariners at sea to provide status updates, not just location but "all OK."

An underutilized capability is HF APRS on 30 meters using PSK63.  I have not seen a lot of activity...but there are stations active and it certainly offers capabilities not restricted to line-of-sight VHF digipeaters.
K5XOM

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2018, 08:18:23 PM »

Trying to change a programmed message to say something else sucks when you are mobile. Way to many menu's and key strokes to go through. I use a Yaesu FTM100DR. Also if you want to be sure you can hit a digipeater when you are way out away from a city or populated area where there are fewer digipeaters,  hi power and a 5/8 antenna is needed at the minimum. that's my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:27:47 PM by K5XOM » Logged
NA7Q

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2018, 10:02:43 AM »

APRS for me is tracking when I'm out backpacking in the cascade range. With that, I also use it as a way to send and receive messages to and from cell phones via SMSGTE when I'm out and about. Another is also for checking the weather via WXBOT. All of these places have no cell coverage, but perfect APRS coverage.
Another big usage for me outside of this is propagation reporting.
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2018, 04:53:34 PM »

Telemetry, Alarm monitoring, and Remote control.
KE4IAJ

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2018, 08:57:20 AM »

I mostly use it for band opening notifications.

If my SDR receives over 75 APRS stations I get an alert. I also graph the stations over time so I can look back at any given day and see how many stations I could pick up at the time. The images below are from a pretty good opening, picking up over 100 stations. The graph shows 4 hours but it can also show days, weeks, months, etc.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: