The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Northern VA ARES  (Read 7529 times)
K4NMO

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2015, 04:25:44 PM »

For over a year, I have tried to join my local Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARESĀ®).

I have sent in an application and sent emails to POCs listed on ARRL.  The VA ARES web site is not very helpful in figuring out how to join or whom to contact.  Undecided

About a year ago, I got a phone call asking me why I was interested, but nothing happened after that.  Huh

Anyone have any suggestions on what I might try to do to make contact with my northern Virginia AREA group?  Roll Eyes
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 07:51:37 PM »

Have you contacted the Section EOC or the Section Manager?

Do you belong to any of the area clubs?
KA4GFY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 09:17:38 AM »

The club suggestion is spot on.  Most are wired into ARES in one way or another.

By the way, I don't know of a requirement in VA that you can only be an ARES member where you live.  I live in Fairfax County and am an Alexandria ARES member.

We have a small, but dedicated group of ARES volunteers and welcome new people to join.

Rich, KA4GFY
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 01:37:29 PM »

With any volunteer organization, sometimes there is a lack of leadership, or skills, or simply volunteers. If that's the same ARES group that has a web site which was apparently last updated in 2006...then no one is taking care of business. You might find that contacting someone higher up in ARES/ARRL and enquiring will get you connected. Or, you may find the local group is effectively defunct and you may get invited to pick up the load and reform it. Be careful what you wish for.(G)
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 01:36:50 PM »

ARES is an ARRL organization.  Contact your EC.

Second point:  While the ARES organization sounds grand in all the ARRL magazines and literature, don't let the glammer and glitter dazzle you.

In my experience, ARES is not some highly organized, coordinated nationwide organization.   I think many ham clubs, like mine here across the Potomac in Southern Maryland do plenty of community support and emergency support to county law enforcement without ever having  been touched by ARES.  I've never seen any applications, etc.

Local clubs may already be doing community/emergency service without being under the ARES title.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:39:22 PM by KB4QAA » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: