The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WW1USA Commemoration of Trench Warfare  (Read 11780 times)
W3POR

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2015, 10:34:47 AM »

The National World War I Museum and Memorial will again partner with amateur radio to host special event station WW1USA from the Museum during the 2015 centennial observance of World War I.

WW1USA will operate from The World War 1 Museum and Memorial to commemorate the start of trench warfare.
Dates and Times of the event: September 12, 2015, 10:00 AM through September 13, 2015, 5:00 PM

ref: https://theworldwar.org/amateurradio
N8CBX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 03:31:32 PM »

They will probably operate on 20m again.
Jan N8CBX

Dayton Ohio - The Birthplace of Aviation
W3POR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 10:58:24 AM »

I checked the notes from the planning meeting & the only specific exclusion is 160 meters.  I didn't see anything about 70cm listed, but there should be a 2 meter station and 'perhaps' a 6 meter station.
W3POR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 07:22:01 AM »

Quoted from Larry's List email -

WW1USA Special Event Station to be On the Air, September 12th and 13th

One-Hundred years ago, a great war was raging across Europe.  The most common image that comes to mind when recalling World War I is that of men fighting in the trenches.

Trench warfare is a form of land warfare using occupied fighting lines consisting largely of trenches, in which troops are significantly protected from the enemy's small arms fire and are substantially sheltered from artillery. The most prominent case of trench warfare is the Western Front in World War I. It has become a byword for stalemate, attrition, sieges and futility in conflict.  Trench warfare occurred when a revolution in firepower was not matched by similar advances in mobility, resulting in a grueling form of warfare in which the defender held the advantage. In World War I, both sides constructed elaborate trench and dugout systems opposing each other along a front, protected from assault by barbed wire. The area between opposing trench lines (known as "no man's land") was fully exposed to artillery fire from both sides. Attacks, even if successful, often sustained severe casualties.

Special Event Station WW1USA of the National World War I Museum at Liberty Memorial will be on the air at Kansas City, Missouri to observe this significant feature of the Great War.  The Raytown  Amateur Radio Club will sponsor this special operating event at the museum, 15:00 UTC on September 12th through 22:00 UTC on September 13th.  All Amateur Radio Operators from around the world are invited to participate in this Special Event by contacting WW1USA on the radio.  If you’re in Kansas City during the Special Event, all Amateur Radio operators who present an operator license will receive $5 admission to the Museum for themselves and up to three guests. (No other discounts apply.)

Stations making contact with WW1USA during the Special Event can request a Contact Certificate through the ww1usa.orgwebsite.  A QSL Card can be obtained via mail by sending SASE or by providing other return postage.  You can also obtain an Electronic QSL Card via eQSL.

For more details, please visit: https://theworldwar.org/amateurradio
W3POR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 11:15:54 AM »

This is the summary that was sent out.

The weather was great, but band conditions were poor.  However, a total of 22 operators logged 767 contacts for the WW1USA event completed on Sunday 9/13. The pileups were frequent, but short and contacts were made in 3 different modes (phone, CW, PSK) and on 4 different bands. 

While band conditions were a challenge, we still managed a number of DX contacts with countries like Italy, Spain, England, Slovenia represented. 

Thanks to all the 22 operators and a dozen or so others that helped all weekend but may not have operated.  This was another outstanding success for WW1USA made possible only by the efforts of a large number of volunteers. These events are considered by the Museum to be premier examples of volunteer-led and supported activities furthering the mission of The World War 1 Museum and Memorial.  All should be proud of our efforts and they way we represent amateur radio - on the air and in person.

Thanks again to all who participated this weekend.

Herb Fiddick (NZØF)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: