Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is cw dead ? Art Bell thinks so  (Read 1490 times)
ANTI3840

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2003, 10:39:09 AM »

Is CW dead Art Bell thinks so!
 On the frequency 3.840 Art Bell (W6OBB) said that cw was dead and the bands needed to be reallocated. It doesn't sound like Mr. Bell has listened to much CW on the weekends or during the day. He claims to be trying to help ham radio but turns around and says that he has a right because he took his ham test from the fcc and not a VE , i guess that everyone that took the test from a VE should not have a voice in the matter. I agree that some of the bands could be reallocated (some). But his comments about old farts operating cw taking up ssb needed space i can do without. It would not bother me , the comments he made ,  but he has a big audience listen to him on 3.840 , hams and swls alike. His comments could have a real negative impact on cw ops in the ham community. I saw a post where one ham emailed him and his reply to his statements about him listening to cw was:
"I do and there are damn few cw ops on 75 and most other bands as well. If your upset with my comments then come on freq and speak!"
I don't think cw is dead and I hope everyone defends the right for cw! Once again i agree with some of the comments but not running down other hams to achieve his goal.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 12:48:45 PM »

Art Bell's pronouncements on the status of CW are of little interest to me.  The best way to "defend" CW (if indeed it needs defending) is to operate CW and ignore the blowhards who waste the bandwidth they occupy and covet more.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 04:21:25 PM »

-. --- / --..-- / -... ..- - / .. / - .... --- ..- --. .... - / .- .-. - / -... . .-.. .-.. / .-- .- ... / -.. . .- -.. / .... ..
KF6IIU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 10:09:35 PM »

Well, if this is true then I'm just going to have to go out and get my WAS and DXCC on 80 CW. Gads, what a chore....
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 02:37:25 PM »

Same post as QRZ and no call on here either.  Read Art's response over there.  This is one of those posts designed to start a flame war and therefore a waste of space.

73 Jeremy N1ZZZ
WA4DOU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2003, 03:51:50 PM »

I don't know who Art Bell is nor do I give a hoot!
NF6E

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2003, 12:44:09 AM »

Isn't Art Bell's show dead?
His raitings said so.
WB2DEX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 09:17:33 PM »

Who is Art Bell?Huh?
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2003, 09:52:30 PM »

Who cares?
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2003, 08:25:20 PM »

Art Bell may be opinionated but he is a ham and proud of the fact, I don't hav any Idea of who this person is stating these so called facts.... I worked mr. bell on one of the nets, and got a card from him like every other ham I work.  this poster seem like a bit of a clown.  73  tom N6AJR
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2003, 10:05:31 AM »

Nice of Art to speak for all hams.  I too took my tests at the FCC office and not with a VE.  Big deal.  Hams are hams.  Get over the VE licensing program.  CW is a simple and efficient form of radio and will live a long time.  Once people get on the air and use their 5 wpm, it soon turns to 8 wpm and 10 wpm and who knows, maybe 20 wpm.

CW ops are not going anywhere, and we are maintaining our numbers.

John Pawlicki, K8AG
W5WLB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2003, 11:27:25 AM »

If you have ever heard art bell on  the radio late at night you would know he is a nut.Enough said.
w5wlb
ootc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: