Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2m DXing  (Read 1032 times)
KC9DUQ

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2003, 02:24:34 PM »

This may be a stupid question but I am a new ham so I will ask it anyway.  Can 2m be used to do DX work? If so how?

Brian, KC9DUQ
KC0ODY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 11:17:28 AM »

Here's a link to a webpage that addresses your question- http://www.columbia.edu/~fuat/cuarc/how-far-on-2m.html.

I've not worked DX on 2 or 6 meters yet, but it is an area of interest of mine, and one I hope to be able to start doing soon. I think the important things to know to start out is that DX on 2 meters (and VHF in general) centers on SSB transmissions using horizontally-polarized antennas.

DX on 6 meters can be a world-wide thing when the band is open. I do not know as much about 2 meter worldwide DX.

There's a book you might want to check out too, I don't have it (yet) but it was recommended to me: "The VHF/UHF DX Book" (ISBN: 0-9520468-0-6), which can be ordered through the ARRL, or possibly your local ham radio store might carry it too.

Good luck and good DX! Jackie
ADVANCED

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 07:15:41 PM »

I have a 2 meter HT and was wondering har far I can talk with it.  I know that a good antenna is important so I'm going to get a MFJ mag mount to use instead of the little rubber ducky.  I know I won't work much DX, maybe just Canada, Mexico, Hawaii and Alaska.  But, I should be able to get WAS!  Since my HT puts out only 5watts it will be QRP!

73, JS
KC0ODY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2003, 02:06:36 AM »

If the 2 meter HT is FM only, you probably won't work much beyond 90 miles from your QTH, even with a good telescoping 1/4 wave antenna. Such is the nature of this type of communication. Almost all VHF DXing is done using SSB or CW (it can be at low power, yes) and using horizontally polarized antennas, such as beams. An HT's range can be improved by using better antennas than the stock duckie, but I doubt that you'll get WAS on it if it doesn't have the aforementioned features. I don't think any current-model HTs have these features that I am aware of.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2003, 09:26:42 AM »

When talking about VHF bands, DX doesn't necessarily mean a foreign country.  It simply means distance beyond the norm.

The people heavily into VHF "DX" normally seek grid squares rather than states and countries.  The VHF awards are typically for collecting so many grid squares.

Check out the ARRL site for their VHF award program.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2003, 08:46:29 PM »

There are several groups who do 2 meter side band work.  I don't know if you call it DX but EME  (bouncing a 2 meter signal off the moon ) and talking to a ham in new york on 2 m SSB EME is waha I call DX.  also fome folks wotk 2 meter ssb tropo to hawaii from calif, wa and ore.  it is possible, but you need a bit of power and a set of good antennas.  73  tom N6AJR
some sites:
  K5oe  site    http://members.aol.com/k5oe/

another site    http://www.elite.net/~k7xq/k7xq.html

side winders on 2         http://www.swotvhf.org/

also amstat  for satalite work, and the space station..
N8XRV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2003, 12:30:55 PM »

The following in just my opinion...

I don't see a problem with DXing on 2M, It can actucally be quite fun to see how far you can get.

I would suggest keeping it on simplex frequencies though.

Some people will get a beam antena, and pump 100-200 watts in, and DX repeaters, which I believe is bad practice.

Even though you may only hear one repeater come back to you, you could be bringing up several repeaters on the same frequency  if they don't use PL tones.

I've heard it, and it can be annoying when you hear someone talking over a local repeater, but they're actucally DXing a different repeater.

Of course, if the band opens up, and you can hit a repeater farther than normal, using a whip, and lower amout of power, I have no beefs about that.

Just remember, because you can't hear them, they may still hear you.

Just my 2 cents.

Enjoy!
73 N8XRV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: