The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better emcomm than hams handling traffic?  (Read 30273 times)
AC7CW

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2015, 12:33:31 PM »

I read an article way back in the day about traffic nets. It was proven that most messages were garbled ranging from a little to a lot. Why not attach a node of a broadband hamnet to a satellite internet connection and let cellphone users text from designated places? That would take care of many of the health and welfare messages. http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
K5BBC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 12:41:50 PM »

.... and let cellphone users text from designated places?

Would the cellphone users be considered 3rd party user?
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 02:44:48 PM »

.... and let cellphone users text from designated places?

Would the cellphone users be considered 3rd party user?

Good question...

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 03:57:46 PM »

Who is going to screen the messages coming back from the internet?

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 06:53:26 PM »

Why not just use an access point that isn't BBHN and eliminate the issues of ham radio altogether?

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K5BBC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 08:15:52 PM »

The cell companies bring in COWs fast enough to cover cell needs.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 10:14:16 AM »

Emergency Communications should NOT have to use RELY on the internet or cell phones. I thought the whole point of emcomms is to use ham radio to get the message through when conventional means of communication are down.

With emcomms, the requirement exists for an inexpensive method of storing and forwarding messages, lists, maps and emergency bulletins in and out of affected areas. APRS is not going to cut it. 

Some sort of PBBS could be set up and pressed into service using older low spec computers that cost next to nothing along with software that is still available for free on the net along with inexpensive Terminal Node Controllers.

In fact some sort of PBBS should be there up and going, operational and in place working & ready to be used in a moments notice.

I remember when Hurricane Sandy came through NJ and NY and the people were asking the TV reporter for the latest information because their smart phones were useless because the cell phone towers and the grid were down. And they had no idea where to go, when their power would be restored, or how to contact relatives in other states.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
KB3VWG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 08:05:15 AM »

This setup does not necessarily require an Internet, use of cell phones, etc.

The point is no different than the use of voice. It's to pass date between two points, that doesn't necessarily require the Internet.

In my section's implementation, every ham would get an IP assigned to their hardware, and provide services, chat, files etc. as needed. Just imagine it as a large Local Area Network.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 05:25:38 PM »

A Satellite Phone would do it? That could be tied into the internet in some area of the world that was not having problems and people could use their own cellphones to text [somehow].

K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 12:28:21 PM »

I read an article way back in the day about traffic nets. It was proven that most messages were garbled ranging from a little to a lot. Why not attach a node of a broadband hamnet to a satellite internet connection and let cellphone users text from designated places? That would take care of many of the health and welfare messages. http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/

Have you guys not heard of WINLINK?

As far as message handling is concerned, it's like anything else.  You have to practice.  One of the members of our ARES organization holds a weekly message handling practice net on one of the local repeaters.  His net is oriented toward the use of the ICS 213 message form, but the principles are the same.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 04:58:13 PM »

I'll cast another vote for WinLink and similar systems.

The idea that the whole world-wide Internet will go away is pretty remote (in all but the worst of the worst-case scenarios). So long as you have a good distribution of WinLink gateway stations (which I think is the case), it should be possible to pass local and distant traffic reliably and quickly.
AD5TD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 06:05:20 AM »

Emergency Communications should NOT have to use RELY on the internet or cell phones. I thought the whole point of emcomms is to use ham radio to get the message through when conventional means of communication are down.

With emcomms, the requirement exists for an inexpensive method of storing and forwarding messages, lists, maps and emergency bulletins in and out of affected areas. APRS is not going to cut it. 

Some sort of PBBS could be set up and pressed into service using older low spec computers that cost next to nothing along with software that is still available for free on the net along with inexpensive Terminal Node Controllers.

In fact some sort of PBBS should be there up and going, operational and in place working & ready to be used in a moments notice.

I remember when Hurricane Sandy came through NJ and NY and the people were asking the TV reporter for the latest information because their smart phones were useless because the cell phone towers and the grid were down. And they had no idea where to go, when their power would be restored, or how to contact relatives in other states.

The purpose of "EMMCOMs" is to move traffic/info in the best/fastest/most accurate way, WHAT EVER that is. Good operators will take advantage of ANY and ALL available means of transmission/reception.
KV6O

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 11:03:40 AM »

The purpose of "EMMCOMs" is to move traffic/info in the best/fastest/most accurate way, WHAT EVER that is. Good operators will take advantage of ANY and ALL available means of transmission/reception.

Folks seem to forget this.  It's NOT about ham radio, it's about passing traffic. And there is a LOT of ways to do that, amateur radio is just one of those ways.

50 years ago, amateur radio was called on often to fill this role.  Now, not so much (at least here in the US).  I think the ARRL has done a disservice with the whole "When All Else Fails" slogan. Most hams have no idea what "all else" actually is, and think they they are the be all, end all solution to passing emergency traffic.

Amateur Radio Relay League - it's name actually is about amateurs passing traffic.  Guess what - there is a whole world of other options out there as well. 

Steve
KV6O
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 12:36:17 PM »

"Amateur Radio Relay League - it's name actually is about amateurs passing traffic"

ARRL is the American Radio Relay League.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KV6O

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 02:00:05 PM »

Ah yes, brain fart!   Tongue

Steve
KV6O
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: